Hi

I have been playing acoustic guitar for only 12 months and in the last 4 months I been taking one on one lessons which has really helped me out. I now know a few simple chords and rhythm patterns to basic songs which are supplied to me by my teacher.

I now want to learn songs which are not supplied to me by my teacher but my problem is that I am really struggling with establishing the rhythm for any of the tab music I am trying to play. Now, I know I am supposed to work the rhythm out for myself but it is a struggle so is there somewhere where I could source tab music with the accompanying rhythm patterns until I get good enough to work it out myself?

Ps. The type of music I am interested in learning to play is Top 40/ Pop music.
Assuming you can read music, look up the Powertab or Guitar Pro tabs with the notation written in.
Quote by pwrmax
Assuming you can read music, look up the Powertab or Guitar Pro tabs with the notation written in.

And to be fair, the rhythm aspect of music notation isn't difficult to pick up if you can't.

If you're looking for a freebie program that'll work with quite a few flavours of tab files, give Tuxguitar a go.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Here's what I do (as a n00b)... I sit down with guitar in hand and listen to the song. While the song is playing I count 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 and so on until I am in sync with the song as it progresses. Now I have the BPM in my head for it...

Now with the chords and BPM I can wing the rhythm.... If you need to structure it, just downstroke on every count...1/2/3/4. Then you can add upstrokes in by using 1 & 2, & being the upstroke.

Now with the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 going... all I do is start to skip certain ones, thus creating rhythm.

So it might be 1 & 2 _ 3 & _.... play that for a bit then change it around to say
_ & 2 & _ & 4... same sound, different rhythm.

Again, I'm rather new, but this is how I have managed to 'get' quite a few of the songs playing on the ole radio or oldies.

-Slap
Try splitting tabs and playing by ear as evenly as possible (assuming you can't play everything completely by ear just yet). In other words, take a couple weeks of listening and experimenting to figure out what you can, and finish it with tabs of what you couldn't figure out. From all that listening, you should pretty much have the rhythm set in. Playing completely by ear is better, but that takes a while to get used to so you can do it right.