Okey, a friend of mine gave this "little" thing to me for gigging. And I want to know what the hack I have at home I just got it, and all I know about it is that it sounds HUGE. I don't know the model, it has only a serial number on the back, but as I searched a little I suspect it is a Marshall JMP? So can anyone say something about it from the images? It has one knob changed and everything else is original. Thanks.
It's a Marshall Major. It should sound huge, there are four KT88s in there pushing 200 watts. It's the biggest guitar amp marshall ever made. They're quite rare, and even in the condition yours is in are worth a fair amount.
I'd have a tech check it over, it's probably been modded. You'll most likely want to restore it to original specs and have it recapped, and cross your fingers it doesn't need new power tubes.

John Frusciante uses those in his live rig. It's an absolute beast of an amp.

You're a lucky sonofabitch to get one of those at all, not to mention for free. Nice!
It's a very interesting amp... very clean tone, almost like a hifi home stereo system. Those KT88s have a HUGE low end, careful trying to put that thing through a cab, though I doubt you'll ever be turning it up loud enough to actually pump out 200 watts of Marshall power from that thing.

Out of curiosity, what is the pot in bright channel high input for?
Quote by al112987
It's a very interesting amp... very clean tone, almost like a hifi home stereo system. Those KT88s have a HUGE low end, careful trying to put that thing through a cab, though I doubt you'll ever be turning it up loud enough to actually pump out 200 watts of Marshall power from that thing.

Out of curiosity, what is the pot in bright channel high input for?

The thing below it is a bass cabinet speaker, but not for music gear. I was trying what kind of sound would it provide for listening (very loud) music (at home) And i used that pot because I didn't found other way to connect it with the DVD at the moment.. And eventually I forgot to putt it out after that
Quote by al112987
though I doubt you'll ever be turning it up loud enough to actually pump out 200 watts of Marshall power from that thing.

Marshall rates their amps at 10% THD, I think, or some standard low number, so the Major hits 200 watts at about 2 on the volume dial. They'll put out well over 400 watts full bore with good power tubes
I'd love to see someone actually measure those numbers. I have no doubt that they'd be impressive.

I know that a "healthy" super lead has been measured to put out in excess of 200 watts dimed. And a 1987 around 110 watts and a solid state rectified JTM45 around 65 watts running wide open.
There were a few threads in the amp tech section on the gear page a while ago from people with Majors that you could search for. I remember usual clean output was 240 watts and max power was up around 400+ watts.

Where are you located, BrainCrasher? Chicago or Wisconsin and I'll take a look at it for free
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why on earth did the previous owner spray paint the logo!?

the same reason that he gave it away, he's a moron that doesn't know the value of things.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If only i was lucky...and had dumb friends.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Roc8995
There were a few threads in the amp tech section on the gear page a while ago from people with Majors that you could search for. I remember usual clean output was 240 watts and max power was up around 400+ watts.

Where are you located, BrainCrasher? Chicago or Wisconsin and I'll take a look at it for free

wohoo... I'm far far away from USA. Europe, on the Balkan, Macedonia. I think this is the only Major head in my country, because I've posted on some of our forums and I got tons of messages like, how much money I want to sell it. But it is not really mine and I have no intention to sell it too.

Quote by darkarbiter7

the same reason that he gave it away, he's a moron that doesn't know the value of things.

Lol, maybe he is but I'm happy for that :P
its a bomb!!!
send it to me and i'll disarm it!

/jk

when its all fixed up it'll probably sound amazing
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Is there any chance you would trade that for two healthy eight year old children whom you can train to be slaves?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Is there any chance you would trade that for two healthy eight year old children whom you can train to be slaves?

not really.. first of all it would take MONEY for shipment, and second, I have no intention to give it to anyone..
....what the **** do you do with 400 watts?
Wouldn't that completely limit you to playing huge shows because thats the ony time you could crank it w/o killing innoccent bystanders?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592

****ing play it!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by mcraddict81592
Wouldn't that completely limit you to playing huge shows because thats the ony time you could crank it w/o killing innoccent bystanders?

It would be totally awesome if you could kill innocent bystanders with an amp
and then never hear anything again....ever
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

OMG why can't people do these things for me

Pay to have it properly restored!

Will be worth it.

x
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
That is indeed a very nice amp!
(as stated in the second post: John Frusciante uses it)

One day I'll buy one too.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
the amp is rubbish, i think you should give it to me.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by BrainCrasher
sure

Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.