im buying a new speaker cab and they have an option of selecting 4,8, or 16 ohms. my head is compatible with all three. What are they and whats the difference? is one better than the other?
Quote by jmac72187
The vox can do it. It just can't do like BlackGrindDeathBloodMurderDevilKillYourUnbornChild Metal.
ohms are a measure of electrical resistance. the more ohms, the higher output they can withstand.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
In this case, ohms isn't so much about electrical resistance, it's more about impedance. Impedance, to borrow the definition from Wikipedia, describes a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal alternating current (AC).

Without going into detail, you want your amp and your speaker(s) to have the same impedance. Most amps will also work feeding speakers of higher impedance, but you never want to run the speakers with lower impedance than that of the amp - so never connect 4 ohm speakers to an 8 ohm amp - SMOKE!!!! Of the 3 you listed, 4, 8 and 16, neither is better or worse. They are simply a rating given for a speaker or an amp.
Quote by TK1
ohms are a measure of electrical resistance. the more ohms, the higher output they can withstand.

WRONG!!!! Which imaginary electronics college did you graduate from? Nothing could be further from the truth. Ohms has NOTHING to do with how much output a speaker can withstand. Case-in-point - Ever seen a 16 ohm speaker rated for 150watts and on the same page an 8 ohm speaker rated for.....wait for it....this is gonna be good.....150 watts!?!?!?!
Quote by KG6_Steven
In this case, ohms isn't so much about electrical resistance, it's more about impedance. Impedance, to borrow the definition from Wikipedia, describes a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal alternating current (AC).

Without going into detail, you want your amp and your speaker(s) to have the same impedance. Most amps will also work feeding speakers of higher impedance, but you never want to run the speakers with lower impedance than that of the amp - so never connect 4 ohm speakers to an 8 ohm amp - SMOKE!!!! Of the 3 you listed, 4, 8 and 16, neither is better or worse. They are simply a rating given for a speaker or an amp.

The 16 ohm tap on uses more OT windings and some people say it gives you a beefier tone. I personally cannot tell a huge difference.
I've always wondered, is there any difference between 4, 8 and 16 ohms, in terms of tone?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
^ if the transformer is tapped for all 3, its usually best to run the 16ohm tap because it uses the full transformer. this makes it a little fuller and such, but its not always completly noticable. however, if the amp is just wired for one setting, then its probably using the whole transformer anyway so i dont think it would really matter.

the whole thing really isnt as important, as you will hear more of a difference from a different output transformer than you will just from different taps on the same trasformer most of the time. upgrading to a nicer transformer is going to add a lot more to your tone than just switching to the 16ohm output.