Hey guys I am working on my song writing and I need some tips on playing fast shredding licks but not going of beat.

I can't seem to improvise and then write fast playing in solos without going really off beat.

I can write melodies and small hammer-on/pull-off patterns solos but I am having trouble picking things faster without it being not fast enough for my liking, not fitting in with the song, or going off beat.

By no means am I trying to make all my solos completely emotionless and just shredding, but I need to put it in in some parts.

Any tips for trying to play fast but staying with the beat?

This is not required, but if you can, tell me some faster patterns that work well when you are soloing or shredding.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
practice with a drummer, it helps with timing. also a metronome
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Quote by rydaflyguy03
practice with a drummer, it helps with timing. also a metronome

Unless the drummer can't keep time.
Thus why you use a drum machine. Because most drummers are useless.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Get better at playing in time then - there's no point trying to play fast if you can't play properly yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Get better at playing in time then - there's no point trying to play fast if you can't play properly yet.

Yeppers.

The problem isn't so much that you can't play fast in time, it's that you're having trouble playing in time. Practice the run you're trying to do at a speed that's comfortable, then gradually speed it up. If you're just belching out notes at speed without keeping in time, you aren't really practicing, you're just making noise.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I would agree with Garou1911, but to keep time after the practicing, I hold a steady beat with my knee (not foot, you'll tire yourself out) or if the song is mainly made of strumming, you could try doing an up-down motion even while not playing.
play with a metronome
play with some one that is going sixteenths, eights... and be on there beat.
and some good old fashion practicing
Yeah play with a metronome is the biggest key to playing fast. BTW here is a pattern I often use.
g--4-5-7-5-4---- repeat
d---------------7
Here's a trick that helped me:

Say you're playing 4 notes on one string and then moving to the next, accent the 1st note of the string, as in telling yourself, ONE two three four ONE two three four, and so on(I'm trying to explain it the best that I can You can start off picking the accented notes a little harder until you get the timing down. another example:

say you're playing 5, 6, and then 8 on the low E and then moving up a string to A, playing 5, 6, and then 8; you'd start off by accenting 5 on the E string, and then as soon as you change strings, really focus on nailing the 5th fret on the A string as you start the next set of notes, so in your head, you'd count ONE two three ONE two three.
make sense? i hope so.

also, as previously stated, the metronome is your best friend. it never gets tired, complains, or tries to change your songs.