I'm trying to dual boot this ubuntu with my vista already installed...and I'm running into another problem.

I partitioned 20GB of free space to use with ubuntu, so I have a 290GB space for windows, 20GB space for ubuntu, and 10GB already partitioned for my "HP recovery".
The walkthrough I'm using told me to use "guided - select largest free disk space" when installing ubuntu, however when I use that, or manual, it selects the 100% of my hard drive.\

When I pick another option it splits up the 290GB that vista is currently using and splits it between Vista and Ubuntu, leaving the 20GB free space, and 10GB of recovery.
I don't really have any idea what to do at all I can't seem to select thefree space I partitioned earlier...help?

My point: out of the options I'm given, it's not letting me choose the storage configuration I want.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 27, 2008,
use the manual partition option and tell it to use the 20gb of free, thats where you want it right? you will probably have to use an extended partition though so you can have /, /swap, and /home partitions for ubuntu.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Why didn't you post this in the Computer Thread?

The MD5 hashcheck value didn't match the ones hosted on the Official Ubuntu website. Did you just proceed to install it (or attempt to) anyway?
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Don't use "select largest free disk space" because it's going to use as much as it can. You have to select the partition you just created. Did you partition it to the correct format? I haven't installed ubuntu anytime recently so maybe a more clear layout of your options would help us help you.
Quote by MightyAl
I think this is the real problem. Standing up to someone so fat has a couople major risks.
1)They might have a heart attack, fall on you and crush you
2)They might eat you. And not in a fun, girl-on-girl 'pics or it didn't happemn' way.
Quote by SamTotman
Why didn't you post this in the Computer Thread?

The MD5 hashcheck value didn't match the ones hosted on the Official Ubuntu website. Did you just proceed to install it (or attempt to) anyway?

Need quick help I'm trying to get this done before I leave for Vegas in the morning.

I rebooted and when it loaded up I told it to check disk for defects and it couldn't read it, so I re-downloaded it and it works now.
Quote by cerin
Don't use "select largest free disk space" because it's going to use as much as it can. You have to select the partition you just created. Did you partition it to the correct format? I haven't installed ubuntu anytime recently so maybe a more clear layout of your options would help us help you.

I'll reboot and check what my options are exactly.

Quote by ironman45
use the manual partition option and tell it to use the 20gb of free, thats where you want it right? you will probably have to use an extended partition though so you can have /, /swap, and /home partitions for ubuntu.

That's not working for me when I go to manual it just automatically takes up 100% of the disk...
Quote by tona_107
That's not working for me when I go to manual it just automatically takes up 100% of the disk...

Then either something is wrong with the disk or you're doing it wrong, in manual you should be able to select the particular partition you want to install to. Also you need manual mode to install in an extended partition if you already have 2 partitions on the drive you want to keep
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Ok, so I restarted and tried to install to check my options.
I'm given 4 options

1) Guided - resize Vista partition and use free space
- this option seems like what I have to do, except I can't use the space that I freed up with a previous partition, it just splits my vista partition and with a slider I can choose the ratio I want between vista and ubuntu, leaving my other two partitions alone.
2)Guided use entire disk
3)Guided - use largest continuous free space
4)Manual

with any of the options 2-3 it just automatically uses 100% of the space for ubuntu, and I can't alter it at all.

So should I get rid of that space I freed up previously and just use option one?
And you can't select manual? Or if you can then do you have any follow up options?
Quote by MightyAl
I think this is the real problem. Standing up to someone so fat has a couople major risks.
2)They might eat you. And not in a fun, girl-on-girl 'pics or it didn't happemn' way.
Quote by cerin
And you can't select manual? Or if you can then do you have any follow up options?

Yes sir I can select manual but it doesn't give me any options it just goes 100% ubuntu and I can't alter it in anyway.

I'm starting to think I might have done the partition wrong or something?
screen shot of my disk management.

The space is in some sense a partition but it is defined as unallocated. Format it to ext3 then try to install ubuntu.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
The space is in some sense a partition but it is defined as unallocated. Format it to ext3 then try to install ubuntu.

I just do that with partitionmagic right, or is there better software I'm not aware of?
Yep, you can't install an operating system on unformatted space. Windows uses NTFS as you can see and Linux uses ext3. You can do it in partitionmagic.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
Yep, you can't install an operating system on unformatted space. Windows uses NTFS as you can see and Linux uses ext3. You can do it in partitionmagic.

Is there similar software that is supported for vista?
Is partitionmagic not supported by Vista? It should be able to format the space to ext3. I don't know how exactly you're trying to install ubuntu but if you're using a LiveCD then it should also come with partition manager that you can use to format it although I've never had much luck with them, it's worth a try.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
Is partitionmagic not supported by Vista? It should be able to format the space to ext3. I don't know how exactly you're trying to install ubuntu but if you're using a LiveCD then it should also come with partition manager that you can use to format it although I've never had much luck with them, it's worth a try.

I'm using this walkthrough - http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm.

Basically I made what I thought was a partition and then burned the ubuntu iso to cd using infra recorder.
Do you think you could take some screenshots from inside ubuntu about it selecting the whole thing?
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
Do you think you could take some screenshots from inside ubuntu about it selecting the whole thing?

if i try to prt screen and copy it to the clipboard won't it get deleted by the time i get into ubuntu or windows? cause every time i quit the installation it loads ubuntu from a cd, so then i have to restart and go onto windows...
Choose the first option where it says "Try ubuntu without any change to your computer". If you have very little ram then this will be a slow process but you can use ubuntu without installing it for at least long enough to get it installed for real. It runs in the RAM so don't think it's how ubuntu actually runs when it is installed. You should be able to post on this topic from within ubuntu.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
Choose the first option where it says "Try ubuntu without any change to your computer". If you have very little ram then this will be a slow process but you can use ubuntu without installing it for at least long enough to get it installed for real. It runs in the RAM so don't think it's how ubuntu actually runs when it is installed. You should be able to post on this topic from within ubuntu.

I have 4GB of ram lol.

but if i just go on ubuntu the partition screen won't come up so i wouldn't be able to take screenshots, and can i even take screen shots when i'm not in an operating system?
If you select "Try ubuntu without any change to my computer" then the operating system will actually RUN from the CD rather than your hard-drive. You can use it like normal (but slower)so you will be able to launch firefox and stuff.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
If you select "Try ubuntu without any change to my computer" then the operating system will actually RUN from the CD rather than your hard-drive. You can use it like normal (but slower)so you will be able to launch firefox and stuff.

yeah i understand that but what will that accomplish?
i thought right now we were trying to take screenshots of me installing it?

thanks for all the help so far by the way i'm really grateful you're taking the time to help me.
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 28, 2008,
You can install ubuntu after booting it also. It's not just from the one option at the start. So you can install it and send screenies because you can install the OS while you're running it from the CD. I know it's weird but just choose the first option then when it gets started, open firefox.
There will be an "install me" icon on the desktop when you start ubuntu with the first option.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
You can install ubuntu after booting it also. It's not just from the one option at the start. So you can install it and send screenies because you can install the OS while you're running it from the CD. I know it's weird but just choose the first option then when it gets started, open firefox.

sounds good thanks alot ill do that right now be back in a sec then.

should i have formatted that drive already...??
You will be running ubuntu from the CD so there is no formatting required just yet. I assume you will have got it started when reading this. Look for an icon on the desktop that says something like "install me" and click it. It will give you pretty much the same stuff as the other times but this time you can send me screenshots.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
You will be running ubuntu from the CD so there is no formatting required just yet. I assume you will have got it started when reading this. Look for an icon on the desktop that says something like "install me" and click it. It will give you pretty much the same stuff as the other times but this time you can send me screenshots.

kk installing from the link on ubuntu desktop right now, will give screenshots in a second.
alrite got the pics

I noticed that in the third pic, you didn't actually have the button clicked in. Is there a reason why? Does it still display 100% usage if you click the third option?
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
I noticed that in the third pic, you didn't actually have the button clicked in. Is there a reason why? Does it still display 100% usage if you click the third option?

yeah it does.

not sure why it showed up as not clicked there i think it's just bein a little laggy/buggy.

any ideas?
The first option will create another partition and you could do it without creating another one but for ease, use the first one. Then you when you boot vista next, just delete the "free space" partition or you can start windows and do it before you install ubuntu.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
The first option will create another partition and you could do it without creating another one but for ease, use the first one. Then you when you boot vista next, just delete the "free space" partition or you can start windows and do it before you install ubuntu.

alright i figured that would be the course of action thanks a bunch man.

how do i delete it.. can i do it in windows or do i use that partition magic i just downloaded?
You can do it with windows in the same way you created it. Just right click on your windows partition when you start vista next and click "expand partition".

Edit: I hear that partitionmagic has issues with vista. I would actually advise against its use now.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
You can do it with windows in the same way you created it. Just right click on your windows partition when you start vista next and click "expand partition".

thanks a bunch man, i figure i will probably be good from here.
seriously thanks for all the help your'e a good guy.
im gonna go do that right now, peace out.
i might normally ask can i pm you if i have any questions but if it doesn't work i'll probably have to call it quits i leave for vegas in less than 12 hours and i still need to pack lol.
No problem. Good luck and have fun in Vegas. If you're stilling looking into installing it after you get to Vegas or back from there then pm if you want.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by cerin
No problem. Good luck and have fun in Vegas. If you're stilling looking into installing it after you get to Vegas or back from there then pm if you want.

Thanks a lot man you have a good week too.