This is pissing me the f*ck off. I bought my fernandes revolver with a floyd on it. It came tuned in standard. I'm trying to tune it down a half step and drop the bottom string one step more as well, to match my band's tuning, but it's just going all ****ing crazy. Is there a way i'm supposed to do this properly?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Welcome to the floyd bro. Theres a few vids on you tube that teach you how to tune it right.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
yeah the way is to just not do it. theres a reason that most bands that down tune dont use floyds. they are annoying as earff to down tune and they rarely stay there. trust me..i have one. have fun...
Well you just got to adjust the springs at the back of your guitar really. Its going all crazy cos of the imbalanced amount of tension that your guitar strings are giving.
If I Was Chocolate I Swear I'd Eat Myself - Wesley Gibson (WANTED)
You need to level the tremolo when you use alternate tunings.

If you use heavier strings, it may not need leveling.

Once you get it tuned and leveled (adjust the claw screws inside the back of the guitar) just keep it down tuned.

Tuning on a floyd rose (or licensed system) can be a chore. Once you tune one string, it affects all the others. Get it close, lock it down and use the fine tuners.
Quote by HIM%(^
yeah the way is to just not do it. theres a reason that most bands that down tune dont use floyds. they are annoying as earff to down tune and they rarely stay there. trust me..i have one. have fun...

Uhm, Arch Enemy uses Floyds. So does Chimaira, Children of Bodom, Nightwish, the list goes on. Even Eddie Van Halen tunes down.

Floyds are made to STAY in tune, I have NO IDEA why people believe Floyds weren't meant to be tuned down. Just tighten the screws in the back cavity little by little until the bridge is level and you're in tune.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
This is a great reason to have two guitars if you're playing lots of songs that require alternative tunings. I keep one guitar set up and ready for drop tunings. Needless to say this guitar does not have a Floyd Rose Tremolo. My other guitar has a Floyd Rose which is awsome for playing all other standard songs. I do occasionally drop tune the guitar with the Floyd Rose, but only if I plan on keeping it at that alternative tuning for a long period of time.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by Shinozoku
Uhm, Arch Enemy uses Floyds. So does Chimaira, Children of Bodom, Nightwish, the list goes on. Even Eddie Van Halen tunes down.

Yes, but they keep it at that tuning for most of their songs OR they get a guitar tech to set it up fairly quickly for them. This is what they probably do, not necessarily what they infact do.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Haha oh god. Looks like i'll just take her to the luthier instead XD
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by HIM%(^

Dude obviously even though u have ****loads of gear u dont know how to use it maybe u buy it for the wank factor learn how to use you stuff before giving people bad advice on it because u cant figure it out . A floyd is a great thing if set up properly
go to floydrose.com all the info is there
Quote by kingofdudes161
Yes, but they keep it at that tuning for most of their songs OR they get a guitar tech to set it up fairly quickly for them. This is what they probably do, not necessarily what they infact do.

Exactly my point! They don't "don't stay in tune if you can get them there", they stay in tune if you put them in a tuning and keep them there. The TS said it was for his band's stuff, so I assume that he's going to keep the guitar in that tuning. So... duh? And yes, it is what they "in fact do". Why would the bands only tune down for shows and recording and tune back up to standard? Standard is only standard because about 100 years ago a lot of popular songs were written in that tuning so people decided to say "this is standard". There wasn't a "standard tuning" before then.
Quote by bluezombie
Haha oh god. Looks like i'll just take her to the luthier instead XD

Dude, seriously, learn to tune your Floyd Rose. It just takes a screwdriver and a couple of allen wrenches to lock and unlock the nut/bridge saddles. Tighten the screws in the back by a quarter of a turn, then re tune the guitar. One string, then the next, then both again, then the next, then all three again, so on and so forth. Check if the bridge is level to the body. If it's still leaning forward, tighten the screws in the back a little more and tune again. Once it's level, lock the nuts, and use the fine tuners on the bridge to finish tuning (preferably, before you tune, put the fine tuners on the bridge to a central position first. Try detuning the low E with it as much as you can, then tune the D string up as much as you can WITH the fine tuners, getting them to the furthest positions. Then set the A string in the middle, and put all the tuners at that level. Then tune with the tuners on the headstock).
Once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes tuning a new set of strings, MAXIMUM.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
read the stickies please...

This also helps a lot. There ARE threads on the forum for such common situations as yours, TS.

Stupid name.

Quote by HIM%(^

i went from e standard to dropped d flat with 9's. did this 2 days ago on an edge pro. it stays perfectly in tune. you just have to adjust the springs in the back
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo