I quit playing about 15 years ago for various reasons but recently started playing again. Since I've gotten back into playing I've been around the Internet reading reviews of various guitars and so forth. One thing I've noticed, is that many people like to refer to cheap guitars as "beginner guitars" instead of "budget guitars" (which is what they should be called).

Referring to a cheap guitar as a beginner guitar makes no sense to me. I say this because if a guitar plays like crap, sounds like crap, and won't stay in tune, why in God's name would it be ideal for a beginner? It seems to me that a guitar with the qualities described above would do nothing but frustrate a beginner and make them want to play less and probably even quit all together.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think beginners should jump right in and buy a 3,000 dollar instrument, but I don't think someone starting out should by the cheapest thing available either. It's one thing I guess if a person isn't sure they're going to stick with it, but if you're pretty sure you have the dedication to learn how to play, get the best thing you can afford.

End of rant.
well like you said, people dont want to waste their money on something expensive if they end up quitting. ive had several friends go out and buy guitars and quit playing so its not that uncommon.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Because in these days of Guitar hero and Rock band faggotry, kids want to start picking up guitar. And the first thing that they (and the kids parents) look for on item descriptions is "ideal for beginners".
It's all marketing.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Beginner's guitars and cheap guitars are different. While a beginer's guitar is cheap, it's not so cheap to be unplayable. They are usually affordable and somewhat quality. Not great quality, not even good, but enough that it won't deter you from playing. Beginner's guitars are that perfect intersection of affordable and playable in that neither quality nor price deters the player from playing.

Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
agreed.
it takes the skill of a real man to properly run a squier
EDIT:i actually find my squier very playable and it sounds nice(although i may get new pups someday)
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Last edited by stratsrule1990 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by merfsullivan
Beginner's guitars and cheap guitars are different. While a beginer's guitar is cheap, it's not so cheap to be unplayable. They are usually affordable and somewhat quality. Not great quality, not even good, but enough that it won't deter you from playing. Beginner's guitars are that perfect intersection of affordable and playable in that neither quality nor price deters the player from playing.

this.

saved me 5 minutes of typing.
Calling things a beginner guitar is, as people have said, marketing. Alot of beginners are kids, and their parents are the ones who pay for the guitar. They look for guitars that are A: Cheap and B: Would be good for a beginner.

That said, my first electric was a $180(AU) telecaster copy, and it actually sounded ok with a decent amp, stayed in tune, played alright... I'm not saying it was a particularly good guitar, but there wasn't anything wrong with it really.

EDIT: Except the colour. Solid orange, neither particularly bright nor particularly dark, white pickguard... urgh.
Quote by stratsrule1990
agreed.
it takes the skill of a real man to properly run a squier
EDIT:i actually find my squier very playable and it sounds nice(although i may get new pups someday)

So in other words...only Joe Perry can make a squire sound decent?
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
that's why i didn't buy one of those "beginner pack" things. granted, i don't have an amp because of that, but my instrument is decent, i just need to get the electronics fixed.
I don't think it's really all that bad to call them "beginner" guitars. If someone really likes to play, they'll discover it just the same on one of those cheap, crappy guitars as they would on a guitar with a hefty price tag.

I started playing guitar on a Squier and I started playing bass on a Firstact from Wal-Mart. At the time I didn't know either of my instruments sucked, only that I liked playing them. Looking back now, of course I'm aware that I came from the humblest of humble beginnings, but at that time I still had the same love for playing that I do now, so it didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now that my original gear was ridiculously cheap.
To be honest with you, it does make a bit of sense. A beginner likely wouldn't care about little details like tone and how well it plays, they probably wouldn't notice things like that right off the bat.
Weeds out the weak and builds character.

But seriously I agree with you.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Weeds out the weak and builds character.

I just realized that that term can be put into any circumstance and still make sense.

Ex. Aids kills millions upon millions of people each year.
- It weeds out the weak and builds character-

Its also the easiest way for a Politician to get out of a tough opinionated statement.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Last edited by MattAnderson111 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by MattAnderson111
I just realized that that term can be put into any circumstance and still make sense.

It's true, it really weeds out the week and builds character. Quite the phrase.
Feed your mind.
Nobody but beginners wastes their money on such guitars- they save up for better ones because they become more aware of aspects such as tone. As others have said they're more disposable in the case that the person doesn't want to go further with guitar.
Quote by Rick540
I quit playing about 15 years ago for various reasons but recently started playing again. Since I've gotten back into playing I've been around the Internet reading reviews of various guitars and so forth. One thing I've noticed, is that many people like to refer to cheap guitars as "beginner guitars" instead of "budget guitars" (which is what they should be called).

Referring to a cheap guitar as a beginner guitar makes no sense to me. I say this because if a guitar plays like crap, sounds like crap, and won't stay in tune, why in God's name would it be ideal for a beginner? It seems to me that a guitar with the qualities described above would do nothing but frustrate a beginner and make them want to play less and probably even quit all together.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think beginners should jump right in and buy a 3,000 dollar instrument, but I don't think someone starting out should by the cheapest thing available either. It's one thing I guess if a person isn't sure they're going to stick with it, but if you're pretty sure you have the dedication to learn how to play, get the best thing you can afford.

End of rant.

It's best to start off with something cheap, so in case you end up quitting guitar, like many do, you didn't just waste butt loads of money on a guitar and gear for nothing.
Yeah I had **** guitars the past 2 1/2 years but I just got a $700 ESP LTD MH-400 and it kicks ass. I also stuck with my instrument.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid