So I just bought an Acoustic B200 amp, and I really enjoy it. There is one nob on it that I do not understand. It is the third nob from the left (in the picture), and says "frequency" above and "notch" below.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expandedimage.aspx?t=4&img=Acoustic/561703jpg.jpg

So I looked it up online and it says something about a -10db Notch filter.

I looked that up and it has something to do with reducing feedback but...

Can anyone explain?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
i was wondering the same thing when i got my Hartke Bass Attack, since the Shape function is actually a notch filter. i googled and got this.

http://www-k.ext.ti.com/SRVS/Data/ti/KnowledgeBases/analog/document/faqs/notch.htm

it seems like a scoop of some sort. the knob is to sweep through the frequencies to which the notch filter is applied.

that's what i think, i might not be correct though.
According to the Warwick manual for it's Alien acoustic,m the notch filter is:

This is a fixed-level, variable-frequency filter for eliminating feedback or
unwanted resonance. The affected frequency is variable from 40 to 500 Hz. The Notch
Filter is effectively turned off in the full counterclockwise position.

frequency range may obviously differ for you.
Right, as Ben said, the idea behind a notch filter is it's the opposite of a bandpass filter. It's designed to be on the feedback frequency, and it attenuates it, so you can turn the overall volume up before you start getting feedback.

Really only applies to acoustic instruments really.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
When I turn mine (left) it adds more of that tone/mid type sound
When I turn mine (right) it makes the amp just neutrally louder

(I also have an Acoustic. Did you read the instructions? They are confusing to me:
"Active -10db notch at frequencies from 50Hz to 1kHz and is approximately 250Hz with the frequency knob at 12 o'clock"
Hm.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
It cuts a very specific frequency. Say your bass knob says it adjusts something like 60hz. If you turn it up/down it won't just adjust 60 hz it will turn many frequencies around it up or down also. The notch will just lower one exact frequency. So if you turn yours to the left you cut a bass frequency by a lot and so your mids and treble stick out more. and if you turn it to the right you cut a mid or treble frequency making your bass boomier.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Awesome, thanks a bunch
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.