I recently bought a Steinberger Spirit Gt-pro Deluxe (H-S-H) and I'm not happy with the pups at all they're Steinberger made and modeled after EMGs I'm told. i need some more powerful pups ! any suggestions?
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
What amp do you have? If you have a bad amp, upgrading the pickups wont help your tone at all
I leik music
i play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe along with other effects.
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
well i play fusion so i need pups that can handle heavy distortion and cleans
did i stump you all? hehe
Quote by col50
What amp do you have? If you have a bad amp, upgrading the pickups wont help your tone at all

Sir speaks words of truth...
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by oscar7557
well i play fusion so i need pups that can handle heavy distortion and cleans

you should go with seymour duncans. Maybe the Full Shred SH-10 and TB-10 or JB Model SH-4 and TB-4 or Alternative 8 SH-15. idk im not much of a pickup expert
I leik music
i was actually lookin at the Dimarzio PAFs and AIR classics like what Shawn Lane used to play
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Sir speaks words of truth...

i already answered him....
Quote by oscar7557
i was actually lookin at the Dimarzio PAFs and AIR classics like what Shawn Lane used to play

I've tried the Dimarzio PAF before, it was ok. Nothing particular. Are you looking for something with a lot of output? You give the impression that you want something wound hot?
i want something that will really give me plenty of sustain and really sensitive
I still recommend you take a look at the Fillmores. check the clip I posted.
wow they sound great!
Yeah, I played a guitar with one of those in the bridge a while back and decided it was easily the best pickup that I'd personally ever heard. Well, it could have been the guitar as well, there is some real mojo going on in that guitar... It's wound to a high DC resistance, but it's not "hot," or not any hotter than an overwound PAF, and it still reacts like a great low output pickup so it's still super touch sensitive and still cleans up amazingly well with a guitar's volume knob, but it's still so responsive and balanced that it almost feels like you're playing something that is super hot. Idk, I personally really liked it.

The only other pickups that to me sounded as good were the Bareknuckle Stormy Monday, but sometimes we all get a little bored of that PAF tone that everyone seems to want and look to something a little different.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 28, 2008,
yea i know what you're saying I'll look into them thanks a lot for the advice
my spirit has the emg select in the bridge replaced with Allan Holdsworth's Seymour duncan custom pickup. Im still not completely satisfied with the bridge pickup, but oddly the emg select works fine in the neck position. On my list of pickups to upgrade it would be a set of Lace alumitones.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CephalidHunter
my spirit has the emg select in the bridge replaced with Allan Holdsworth's Seymour duncan custom pickup. Im still not completely satisfied with the bridge pickup, but oddly the emg select works fine in the neck position. On my list of pickups to upgrade it would be a set of Lace alumitones.

i'm thinking of putting in some EMG 81 and 85 in, what do you think?
EMGs are toneless, cold, sterile pickups. People can talk all they want about EMGs not sounding toneless with an 18V mod or how Blackouts sound better, but to me, I have yet to hear a single set of active humbuckers that aren't toneless and sterile sounding.
lol yeah that's what i really want to avoid i want a really want a pup that will be able to handle a nice warm Shawn lane tone
Yeah, EMG's active humbuckers aren't particularly renown for their tone, more for their ability to handle a lot of gain while retaining clarity.
heh well dam i just dont know what pickup to go with