If you're going to give a gift card to someone you should just give them the cash. Saves you the hassle of going to the store to buy the card and you won't have to pay the activation fee that some cards have. Gift cards seem so pointless to me.
it's because a lot of people see giving cash as kind of tacky and impersonal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I never use giftcards. I always forget I have them.

I got one for christmas where I have to spend £100 to get £10 off. Worthless.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Giving a gift card shows that you actually put some sort of effort into the gift.

Giving gifts isn't about efficiency.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Online shopping
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Gift cards are so like "Sorry I don't know you that well to buy you something, so here take this so you can do it yourself"

I always give people those...
I like getting gift cards, provided that it's to a store I enjoy. I'm going to assume that you however don't like gift cards and received one (or more) for Christmas; if they bother you that much, you can share with me. I really don't mind.
DOWN&OUT
^No, I didn't get any gift cards. :/ I was just thinking about it because there was a commercial that was just on that was talking about walmart giftcards.
Quote by tremeloud
Online shopping

Yay, a legit reason.
Last edited by Masamune at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

while at the same time, they are uncreative or just don't care/know enough about the person to give them actual gifts they will like.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by Jett Diamond
I like getting gift cards, provided that it's to a store I enjoy. I'm going to assume that you however don't like gift cards and received one (or more) for Christmas; if they bother you that much, you can share with me. I really don't mind.

Yeah I always end up selling at least one or two a year because it's from a store I would never shop at. I fail to understand why my relatives insist on getting me gift cards to places like Hollister or the Gap.

Quote by fli.pansy
while at the same time, they are uncreative or just don't care/know enough about the person to give them actual gifts they will like.

Yeah, I mean honestly I would rather get cash, but at least I know they put some thought into it if I get a gift card to some place I actually shop at regularly.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I hate gift cards. Just gimme the cash so i can stick it in my savings so i could buy an amp or a laptop or something.
I just bought someone a gift card yesterday. Blow me.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I have 40 dollars in movie money, and a 40 dollar gift certificate for a record store. If I could get cash for both of those I would have a new amp by now.
Quote by bradulator
Iceland has the coolest women.
sounds like somebody got a LOT of unwanted gift cards this holiday season...
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Unless it's a Visa gift card or something, I think it should just be cash. I'd rather have $50 cash than $50 to Target.
But $50 in a Visa gift card can be used online
if you got a drugy in the family. they wont be able to buy drugs, only what ever the store sells. duh!
its kinda like a one-way conversion to that store's currency. which is far less useful because its only useable at that store. in other words, its a marketing scam.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Quote by JungIe
its kinda like a one-way conversion to that store's currency. which is far less useful because its only useable at that store. in other words, its a marketing scam.

also how many gift cards that still have a few bucks on them go unused, that's so much pure profit those generate.

and they figure you'll say "hey while im here" and buy more ****
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I don't. I'd actually be happier if people gave me cash instead of gift cards tbh.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i guess to show the fact that you took the time to go out and buy the gift, thus making it more personal than simple money
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

this
Quote by aznrockerdude
I don't. I'd actually be happier if people gave me cash instead of gift cards tbh.

So would I. I'm aware that the people who give them to me don't know anything about me...no need to hide it by getting me a card that you picked up while you happened to be grocery shopping. I actually still have a gift card I got for my birthday in August that I haven't spent yet. It's for Walmart, and I meant to buy Christmas presents for my family with it but forgot about it. I would buy music with it, but I can never decide what to get.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Money says "here, I didn't care enough to drive to the store or put any thought whatsoever into this gift." Of COURSE you prefer money, everybody does. Nothing is as impersonal as money, every single person on this planet wants it.

Quote by Kata Dante
So would I. I'm aware that the people who give them to me don't know anything about me...no need to hide it by getting me a card that you picked up while you happened to be grocery shopping. I actually still have a gift card I got for my birthday in August that I haven't spent yet. It's for Walmart, and I meant to buy Christmas presents for my family with it but forgot about it. I would buy music with it, but I can never decide what to get.

...can I just have it then?
Plus youre tied to buying in just that ****ing store.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Some can be useful but it depends on what store it is to.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Just make sure people know you. Sure, I occasionally get the Target gift card (which is still VERY useful), but usually I get a card to guitar center or itunes or something because I make sure people know I like that kind of stuff lol.
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS