I was just wondering when its is the right time for a 2nd guitar.
My current and first guitar is th one in my sig. I have benn playing for nealry 3 years on the same amp and guitar. When did you guys upgrade?? I might add a poll.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
I upgraded after 3 years.
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
soon. i just upgraded from my first guitar after almost 3 years too, i changed my amp about a year ago though.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
i got a second guitar after playing for 1 year.

i progress very fast on guitar, though.

if you've been playing for 3 years, it's definitely a good idea to upgrade.
You get a new guitar when your old one(s) are unable to fulfill your needs as a musician.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
im was think about getting a prs but im broke as a joke right now....well for the past 3 years
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by customisbetter
After you get a tube amp, your first guitar gets even better. Trust me, im not kidding.

upgrading amp is a good idea.

expensive guitar + cheap amp = cheap sound
i got me second guitar about 6 months after my first
ive got 5 now and ive been playin for 2 years
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Sakattack75

I think you have too many guitars to really appreciate any of them.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
i upgraded after a year. i dont think i really needed to up grade at the time but my parents offered to buy me a new guitar so why not.
Quote by NorfIrIon
You get a new guitar when your old one(s) are unable to fulfill your needs as a musician.

It was about 6 months between my acoustic and electric. Cant say really if you are going from electric to electric. But NorfIrIon is generally right.
Quote by Sakattack75

if someone else bought you those, they must have had a lot of faith in your dedication.

if you bought them, then you pointlessly spent a lot of money for nothing.
3 years? What are you waiting for, man!?!? Get thee to a guitar store and make that second purchase!
Quote by KG6_Steven
3 years? What are you waiting for, man!?!? Get thee to a guitar store and make that second purchase!

this.

you need no other suggestions in this thread than the one i quoted.
when your good enough to spend money or get bored with the one you got. i got mine after 2 or 3 years. dont remember.
i like the one i got but its not worn out abd its sounds good.
I have 50$ right now just working up the money. i have wanted another one since after my 1st year
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by NorfIrIon
I think you have too many guitars to really appreciate any of them.

believe me i appreciate all of them
i actually cried when i dropped my lp
but they all get played
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
I had a old crap squier strat for about 3-4 months before I knew i was going to stick with guitar and got my epiphone. I've had my epi for a couple years now and I don't really play to upgrade soon
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Traynor YCV40 Custom Valve Combo Amp
Crybaby GCB-95 Wah
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Digitech RP-50
In four years of playing I've owned... 7 guitars. But there is a logic to it.

My first guitar was some crappy kit starter, it broke after around 6 months, and it was cheaper to but a new one then fix it. Got a crappy epiphone les paul that lasted me around another year. Then that guitar broke and I got my carvin. Good guitar, but it wasn't anything special. Eventually a 70's Les Paul Deluxe turned up at our local store, and my dad being a guitar nut like me though he doesnt play, agreed to get it, as it was 500 underpriced for what it was.

I've also gotten my dad's crappy old fender acoustic, my own nice guild acoustic, and I today bought, with my own money mind you, an epiphone explorer to have as a haul around guitar. The Carvin and the Fender acoustic have been sold.

So really I only have three now, the Epiphone, the Gibson, and the Guild.

Wow that was a weird ranty post. Im stoned.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I'm definetly not gonna be using my Squier Strat 1 year from now. I might buy a Telecaster. I'm a Fender lover. FENDERS RULE!
Quote by NorfIrIon

This. All you need is one guitar. However, if that one guitar now holds you back from playing(IE: is not playable at the level you can play at), it is time to consider a new one.

Just know that usually when you THINK your guitar is holding you back, you really just need to improve your technique.
i got a new guitar after 2 years, my music tastes had changed and i wanted better high fret access and a tremolo, im happy now and probably wont buy a new guitar for 2-4 years.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Metallica_Man55
i got a second guitar after playing for 1 year.

i progress very fast on guitar, though.

if you've been playing for 3 years, it's definitely a good idea to upgrade.

+1
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
only need one guitar? thats bs
unless you play one style of music and nothing else, and only want one sound

an acoustic maybe?
ok so while youre still learning, you may only need one guitar, but youre limiting yourself.

to get a wide variety of sounds you need at least 2 electrics
I just barely got my second guitar (Second electric that is), so thats about seven months of serious playing time. I really needed it though.
You upgrade once you either totally despise the one you have now, or once you need new tricks/tones. For instance, my old guitar has a broken fret, terrible pickups, and was pretty badly made. My new one has perfect frets, pretty decent pick ups, and a tremolo, so its a big upgrade, that I think I honestly needed it.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
If the guitar you have now works fine and satisfies all your needs then there is no need to get a new one.
i just got the need to buy another after about 10 months now. This ****ty one doesnt let me enjoy playing music as much as some of the reasonably priced branded guitars and amps in store
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
when you really know what you like, and if itll really make you better...for instance i played a tele with a wide nut width, and was instantly better, so i knew it was time to change guitars (this was after a few years though)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"