Hi,
It is my first post here. Thanks for reading.
I've been playing an acoustic guitar for approximately one year, and I just decided
to try out some electric guitars!
Recently I really enjoy a lot different sounds come from the band X Japan.
And have been figuring how to get this kind of tone.
Here's the link to the video.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ALO14x5hQu4

I'm pretty new to the electric guitar world so sorry for my ignorance.
What kind of sound would you describe it as?
And how am I able to achieve it?
Will the "VOX valvetronix" or "Roland cube 20x" suffices? What kind of settings do I need?

Again thanks for reading. I hope I can get the right direction for my first setup.
Well for a new guy to electric guitars you sure picked a nice smooth tone to aspire to. :P I can't say I can be of a ton of help, though I have played through the cube many a time, and its very versatile, and may be able to get you what you want.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
the Cube 30x has much better modeling. I'm not terribly familiar with the capabilities of the Vox though. The Cube 30 could probably get pretty close to that tone.
Well, truth be told, to get the sound of someone you like, you need to get their set up. If you can't do that, look for an undercut model. (Instead of Gibson Les Paul, go Epi LP) If that is still too expensive then shoot for a Valvetronix or maybe a Peavy Vypyr, but I haven't had any experience with the Vypyers.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Hard to tell from a YouTube video .... but a lot of that tone comes from either a doubling effect, or just playing along to the CD with a massive amount of practice. That makes the tone hard to pick out. It *sounds* like a heavily distorted solid state amp with an 8" or 10" speaker and lots of treble, playing along to a recording made by a tube amp and a 12" speaker.

In other words, you're not likely to totally duplicate the sound of it, just because of the physics involved. I'd recommend going with a Line6 amp, and upgrading the speakers later. Normally I'm not a solid state guy, but we have a Line6 2x10 with 2 Eminence Redcoats at the store where I work, and that thing sounds just fantastic.

Or if you're a planner, get a Fender Champ or Epi Valve Jr., and hit up www.olcircuits.com for a stompbox. Not as many effects right off the bat, but a much better deal in the long run if you're a man who knows what he wants. Not only were they able to make me a pedal to duplicate the sound of my super-loud high-gain amp (that I can't use anymore in my new, tiny apartment), but they even tweaked it to match the settings I used on said amp.
Oh, PS .... most solid-state modelling amps come with cheap speakers that don't do 'overdriven' well. The Valvetronix is especially bad at this. Unless you're comfortable investing $35-$75 in a new speaker (which you should anyway!), most modelling amps should be treated as though they have two settings: clean, and high gain. There is no 'warm crunch.'

I play small clubs with a guy that uses a Valvetronix, and it only sounds good to my ears when I'm playing with a bassy setting to counteract it. Then again, I'm uber-picky about tone.
Thanks everyone

I guess I have to go to guitar center to try out some more equipments to make any decisions. Too bad my local one does not carry the Roland amps. I'll try out the Valvetronix if there is any.

In fact I have been there for several times but I still couldn't make any of those amps sound right to my ears. Maybe that's because I'm not familiar with adjusting the settings.

So far my plan is to get a good sounding modeling amp since I do not have much clue for most guitar sounds. A good modeling amp may give me some ideas.

Please leave some comments if you have any suggestions
Last edited by jon12315 at Dec 28, 2008,