i nabbed a used mexican strat for 200 bucks earlier today and i want to put one of those double locking floyd rose tremolo's on it but i dont understand what it means by nut spacing.

will this work for replacing the standard one that is on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Floyd-Rose-Lic-Tremolo-Bridge-Double-Locking-Black_W0QQitemZ120306599900QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item120306599900&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
What a score dude. Is it in good condition?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

yeah, there are 3 cracks in the finish by the neck but it's only in the finish. it belonged to a 16 yr old kid i think, he hadn't been very kind to it but it cleaned up nicely. there are about 4 spots on the fretboard that are dirty and scratched from fingernails but it's nothing major.

there are pics here from the craigslisting where i got it

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/msg/961537847.html
first of all, that floyd is garbage. anything below 150 is crap. a good quality floyd is at least 200.

second of all, you would need to route the nut for the locking trem.

try a super-vee. i=haven't tried it personally but i hear great things about them.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
well a regular nut like you see on most non floyd guitars. is a piece of thin plastic/bone/ect. while a locking nut is wider.

this is a regular nut

this is a locking nut

see the difference in width? that cost a lot to get it routed. you could go for locking tuners. won't be as precise as the locking nut though.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
hey scratch what i said. i did some research and it turns out there's a universal locking nut for strat style guitars that requires no routing. it sits behind your current nut so i'm not sure on how efficient it is but it's worth a shot if you want to get a floyd for your strat,
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_nutslocking.htm
look at the one on the bottom that says universal locking nut.

you will need to route the guitar for the bridge though.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
so routing for the bridge means i'd have to have a chunk of wood cut out he body for the thing to fit?
yeah because thebody for a strat is flat. it's not recessed,in other words there's no space to pull up the whammy bar. so you gotta cut a chunk of would in the shape of the floyd similar to this
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well i've got access to the stuff to route the guitar with but i know nothing of wood work. however the people who i knwo that work there can do it for sure but where to begin? how do i know where to tell them to cut and how much to cut? how do you know if it's too deep or not deep enough, etc etc
i believe you should see the specs of the tremolo to figure out the measurements of it. fromt there you cut the hole to accommodate it.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
ok cool. i'm scared to try it cause i hate to ruin it but i'll read up and decide if i want to try it.

thanks for the help SS and for finding that info on the locking nut
no problem.

although i personally would recommend you keep your strat the way it is. because there's no guarantee you'll get the outcome you desire. it'll probably be easier and cheaper to get one with a floyd already in it.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock