So my friends have this band and they're sort of like an Incubus style. Anyways, they want me to open for them. So I'm trying to decide what to play. Criteria:

1. No singing.

2. A guitar song that isn't too classic rock. But good and impressive soloing.

3. Nothing too shred metal. I hate guys like Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert. The only person who I'll really consider from this style style is Buckethead.

4. Something around 3-4 minutes.

5. Nothing that must require 2 guitars (Ex. I think playing something like The Strokes would sound bad. With them, you really need more than just a guitarist).
Hendrix?

Voodoo Child?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Little Wing
you could do the Stevie ray Vaughan version because it has no lyrics
or you could do the Jimi version and just not sing it
What about some Joe Satriani - Love Thing, Surfing With The Alien, Summer Song, Into The Light, Mind Storm, to name a few.

Good luck.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Although I know how to play most of the suggestions you guys named (besides the Satch one) I'm looking for something more modern.
Quote by sporkman7
Altitudes- Jason Becker
or just improvise dude. i always sound best when i improvise becuz no one can tell when u make a mistake

maybe improvise little wing? haha i'm out of this thread, its getting a little over my head. good luck with the show!
Or Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson

lot of people will dig it due to its appearence in GH3
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Some classical maybe? By the looks of your profile you're a classical guitarist.

EDIT: Woops I didn't see the modern thing. Cliffs of Dover or something maybe?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by Psychedelico
Some classical maybe? By the looks of your profile you're a classical guitarist.
Yeah, but I don't really think they'll like classical.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Are you having some dudes back you or are you playing all by your lonesome?
I'm not sure yet. Maybe a drummer or a back-up guitarist.
Play the live version of Whitewash, the one with the solo..that'd be cool.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, but I don't really think they'll like classical.

Well, if the soloing is impressive enough then they might...
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
You should make a rock version of a popular dance song or something. For instance; I saw a band that covered Sexy Back and people went crazy for it, and of course you could add your own solo.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
You should make a rock version of a popular dance song or something. For instance; I saw a band that covered Sexy Back and people went crazy for it, and of course you could add your own solo.

Without vocals this won't work too well. Unless the song is really well known and you play the melody.
Quote by monkeysintheday
Wonderful idea for a Guitar song.

there is a guitar part, and its easy to solo over

you didn't thinik i didn't realize he played gutar, did you?

genius.

EDIT: And i didn't say Bonzo's Montreaux either.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
^
I understand there's a guitar part, but a great majority of that song except for a good minute is solely dedicated to drums. If you're playing as a solo guitarist it's probably not a first choice.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
May I suggest Steve Vai, regardless of you classifying him under "shred metal"? He's more than that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0KNR7texT8

How do they expect to sell those DVDs if the people selling them put the whole thing on youtube?
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by monkeysintheday
How do they expect to sell those DVDs if the people selling them put the whole thing on youtube?

I'm not complaining...
It's an old DVD anyway, by showing some vids from that one he might get more sales from his newer DVDs... Idk.
Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah if you go acoustic. You don't really need vocals for it to work.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Jam in a scale for a bit?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Guthrie Govan - Waves?
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."