I just can't seem to find an affordable audio interface with 4+ xlr inputs. I want to record a drum set with at least 4 mics. I had been previously looking at the Lexicon Lambda or the Omega and saw that it had 2 xlr inputs and 2 other 1/4" inputs.

I was wondering if I could use those 2 1/4" inputs with a xlr to 1/4" adapter so I could record a drum set (4 mics simultaneously)? Would the conversion be possible? What effects would it have on sound quality?

My only other option would be a Firepod which has 8 xlr inputs but is much more expensive and I don't really need those extra inputs...

Thanks and if there is an easier option to record 4+ xlr mics at once, let me know!
Last edited by electrictone at Dec 28, 2008,
I would guess maybe. lol useful I know.

It would be logical that they do, however, on the line 6 ux2 thats what I thought as well, and I was informed that it simply can't be done. Decided to not even try.

Basically your going to have to find someone who has one and ask, or send an email to the manufacturer.

Sorry I can't be more help
-Ryan
I think I discovered I would have to get separate phantom power devices. The mic would run into the phantom power, then a xlr to 1/4" cable would run out of it, into the 1/4" input on the Lexicon.

Can anyone confirm this?
^I'm no expert, but that sounds about right.

have you thought about mixers with built in audio interfaces or is that a definite no-no?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
^I'm no expert, but that sounds about right.

have you thought about mixers with built in audio interfaces or is that a definite no-no?

It's not a definite no... I considered a Phonic Helix firewire mixer... But I decided since I won't be using any of the hardware on the mixer and pretty much only software, I figured there was no need to spend extra money, especially if I can pull it off with this Lexicon, plus it has a rebate right now

So here's what I'm thinking might work:
MIC (XLR OUT) -> PHANTOM UNIT (XLR IN) -> PHATOM UNIT (XLR OUT) -XLR to 1/4"-> AUDIO INTERFACE (1/4" IN) -USB-> COMPUTER -> DAW
Last edited by electrictone at Dec 28, 2008,