I've been decided on getting a Martin D-16gt for a while because my teacher used to have one until he upgraded to a 28 or something and because they sound amazing. But what I really want is an auditorium styled guitar, not a dreadnought. I've seen some videos of a Blueridge BR-163 auditorium styled guitar and it SOUNDED like it had a low end comparable to Martin, which I've never heard in a Blueridge before, as they tend to be trebly. I've played a whole bunch of Blueridge guitars, just not this model.

I can get either for a pretty fair price, between 600 and 700. Which is a better deal/guitar? I like the way the D-16 sounds, but I REALLY want an 000 styled guitar. Anybody have one of these Blueridges/can anyone attest to it's sound quality? If it has a good low end, I'll be pleased.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i'm not suggesting anything but i love my blueridge
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Played about a dozen Blueridge guitars at a pawn shop owned by a close friend. Seems hit or miss. Like you said, I noticed they seemed to have too much treble, but there was one that was just phenominal. I'd say search til you find an auditorium with the tone you want, over settling for an instrument you really don't like.

I don't think I have ever, ever recommended anything over Martin before, if that is evidence of how fantastic the one Blueridge was.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

I'm pretty sure that's the 1 hit Blueridge I've heard. I'm going to ask my local shop to order one, they fly off the shelf anyway so he won't mind ordering me one to try because it'll sell anyway.

The martin definitely has the tone, and I think the BR does too, but I haven't played it in person.

thanks millerdrr.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I forgot to mention, all of the Blueridge guitars I played were equal to most any Martin in terms of playability; ie, action was good off the shelf. The tone was only "pretty good" with most of the Blueridge guitars, but the quality of construction seemed to equal the Gibson/Martin powerhouse.

Also, as a side note you asked which would be the better value. While the Martin may hold a higher price should you decide to sell, my friend says at least at his shop he can sell the Blueridge much faster. Most of the buyers for Martin, who are looking to spend that kind of money, are going to want a D-28 or better. Not to say cheaper martins are bad, my favorite guitar that i own at the moment is one for the DX series laminates...cheap, ugly, but it sounds good enough for me, and if it gets smashed or stolen out of my car, i haven't lost $3000
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

I've played many Blueridges and they have all been good sounding guitars. I own a Blueridge BR-240 which I bought on E-bay for $525.00. You can get a BR-140 for less money and they sound about as good. If you put light or mediums strings on it your going to have plenty of bass.

You can see direct comparisons with Martin guitars at Maurysmusic.com.

I would buy the Blueridge. I think they have a more complex sound than the Martins.
Personally I think the Martin is FAR more complex than every other Blueridge I've played. But this specific model seems to compare to the Martin for me.

I always use medium strings, so hopefully that'll add the extra bottom end.

thanks for the link.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712