Page 1 of 2
latley, my computer has been freezing up, and running fairly slowly. at first, i thought that it was because my harddrive was packed, so i got a 750Gig external harddrive for christmas. i now have 50 free gigs, and could free up another 20ish if i move all my music to my external.

but even that didnt speed up my comp all that much. so i was wondering if i upgraded my to 2 gigs or 4 gigs of ram, would it do much to speed up my computer?

here are my system stats:

Intel Core Dual CPU 2 GHz
1 Gig of ram
and im running vista on an HP notebook
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Yeah delete unused things, add more ram, run your virus programs on a regular basis doing all this has helped me computer run fast since I got it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Try a program called CCleaner, worked wonders for me. Combine that with running defrag (might as well) and deleting old or unused files. If you have the cash, invest in an external hard drive.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
latley, my computer has been freezing up, and running fairly slowly. at first, i thought that it was because my harddrive was packed, so i got a 750Gig external harddrive for christmas. i now have 50 free gigs, and could free up another 20ish if i move all my music to my external.

but even that didnt speed up my comp all that much. so i was wondering if i upgraded my to 2 gigs or 4 gigs of ram, would it do much to speed up my computer?

here are my system stats:

Intel Core Dual CPU 2 GHz
1 Gig of ram
and im running vista on an HP notebook

check for viruses, but you should realize that vista uses almost a gig of ram itself, so that leaves very little room for other programs. upgrade to 4gb.
███████████████████████████████████
I use hare by Dachshund software, works for me >_<
"People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend...
-Jim Morrison
Slide some meth into the disc drive.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
+1 Maus24
"People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend...
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Stereoaxis
Try a program called CCleaner, worked wonders for me. Combine that with running defrag (might as well) and deleting old or unused files. If you have the cash, invest in an external hard drive.

way to read buddy, way to read.
Quote by SGmaniac1021

haha i clicked my itunes like 5min ago and when i clicked this it finally came up.

+1 internetz and an e-cookie to you!
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Yeah delete unused things, add more ram, run your virus programs on a regular basis doing all this has helped me computer run fast since I got it.

i do all of those. thats why im thinking it might be time for a ram upgrade.

Quote by Stereoaxis

yeah i use CCleaner quite often and as for the external, refer to the topic post.

Quote by Maus24
Slide some meth into the disc drive.

hmmm...but wouldnt it be more fun to slide it up my nose?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Moar RAM nao!!!

plus

Defragging and CCleaner will help
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
1 gig is too slow for vista. you should go for 2 at least. you might want to try taking the aero theme off of your vista, it might speed it up a little.

i dont trust any free adware removers, lots of them get stuck on your computer and slow it down even more.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Goto the run command in the start menu. type "msconfig", click on the tab that says "start up" then click "disable all" then it will ask you to restart and you computer should run like a dream on startup.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I recently added 2 more gigs of RAM to my desktop and it runs awesome now
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by SGmaniac1021

While she is among the world's most beautiful women, I cannot see how this will make TS's computer faster
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ulikethatdoya
If you have windows, go to my computer/C:/windows and delete system 32..makes it much faster

you do realize people get warnings and banned for this kind of thing? lucky for you, im not enough of a dick to report you or enough of a moron to follow the advice of a joke that is as old as the internet.

my current virus scan software is McAffe VirusScan Enterprise. im required to have it to get access to the wireless network at my college. while im not going to download another virus scan and let it suck up my cpu usage, is McAffe sufficient and are there any other programs to supplement it?

ive pretty much decided to buy 2gigs of ram.

EDIT:
Quote by consecutive e
Goto the run command in the start menu. type "msconfig", click on the tab that says "start up" then click "disable all" then it will ask you to restart and you computer should run like a dream on startup.

just because i ask for computer help, why does everyone think that i am a technical moron????
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Its mandatory to have at least 2gigs of ram with vista, you should have 3.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Windows Optimizer 2009 was released a bit ago, wasn't it?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
stop waching pr0n.

It usually comes with bugs
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Quote by Copilot911
Its mandatory to have at least 2gigs of ram with vista, you should have 3.

Depends if it's Home Premium or Home Basic. Basic runs fine on 512 MB if you're not doing anything too extraneous.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Depends if it's Home Premium or Home Basic. Basic runs fine on 512 MB if you're not doing anything too extraneous.

i have basic.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
you do realize people get warnings and banned for this kind of thing? lucky for you, im not enough of a dick to report you or enough of a moron to follow the advice of a joke that is as old as the internet.

Sssshhhhhhhh........it'll be okay.....
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

just because i ask for computer help, why does everyone think that i am a technical moron????

well, in their defense, you didnt post what you already tried
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

my current virus scan software is McAffe VirusScan Enterprise. im required to have it to get access to the wireless network at my college. while im not going to download another virus scan and let it suck up my cpu usage, is McAffe sufficient and are there any other programs to supplement it?

ive pretty much decided to buy 2gigs of ram.

EDIT:

uninstall mcaffee and get avg, mcaffee and norton and aol is satan's work
Quote by caskettheclown

Get rid of AOL. AVG is decent, but I think avast! is better personally.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by caskettheclown

Kaspersky is good if you can afford it
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by caskettheclown

i cant i need to keep mcaffee to be able to get on the wireless network at my school...like i said in my post....
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by Maus24
Get rid of AOL. AVG is decent, but I think avast! is better personally.

i dont know if he has aol or not but still

and avg is free and is good for most people so thats why i recomend it
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
i cant i need to keep mcaffee to be able to get on the wireless network at my school...like i said in my post....

then your school is satan and should burn.

seriously though why does it have to be mcaffee though?
Quote by caskettheclown

seriously though why does it have to be mcaffee though?

dont know. ive been to two colleges. one private and one a state school. both have required me to have mcaffee. it might have something to do with using cleanacess and vpn client to get onto the networks.

could firefox be part of the culprit? half the time when my comp freezes its when im on the internet and i have 5 or six tabs open. it sits greyed out saying not responding for a bit, sometimes it fixes itself and unfreezes and other times i have to open up the task manager and close it that way. usually, it is running at 100k to 200k memory when it freezes up. i just checked it now, and its running fine at 47k memory.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Page 1 of 2