Well, those of use who LOVE the Gibson SG Classic knew that this day was coming. It looks like this awesome guitar really has been discontinued.

For a couple of years, the only way to get one was through one of the Big 3 online vendors. When I got mine about a year ago, they still had SG Jr's for sale. Those dried up in early 2008, followed quickly by the Ebony stained SG Classics.

The Big 3 were still selling SG Classics until about a month ago, but now it has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Rest In Peace, oh great SG Classic! Those of us who own one will never give you up; those of you who were waiting on the fence are now kicking yourselves and will have to wait until this classic P90 growler is re-reissued several years from now...at wildly inflated prices...

"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Dec 28, 2008,
All I can say is a simple word to express my feeling; F**k. I loved that thing, if I ever got $1,000 to spend on a guitar it was down to that thing and an Am. Std. strat, with it leading. Damn, just damn. Hopefully it'll follow the Les Paul Junior and come back a year later though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Quote by JessicaGonzo
damn gibson and their fancy self tunning guitars. why cant we just keep the classics?

I know man. Soon they're going to have guitars that will play themselves and those crazy robot guitars are going to take over the world!
A few months ago, I went through a delusional period in my life, and for a week or two, I was actually considering trading in my SG Classic for a '65 Reissue Fender Mustang.

Thankfully, I got the chance to A/B these two guitars side-by-side over a weekend. It was no contest -- the SG Classic smoked the 'Stang, and two days later I sent it back. Then I checked myself into rehab for having considered such sacrilege.

Yep, it's a damn shame that Gibson seems to have pulled the plug on an extremely popular product line. You'd think that in a down economy, you'd want to defend popular product lines, right? Apparently not.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Aye, be glad you didn't trade the SG; it's much better, and that's coming from someone who's usually a Fender guy.

Frankly I think they should stop pumping out crap Robot Guitars and focus on good guitars like the Classic was; the Robots break strings faster than a normal guitar, and your paying a couple extra hundred to get a set of fancy tuners and a special pot on a Studio Les Paul or a "Special Faded" SG, Explorer or V. It's just shameful their around and a great guitar like that gets the axe.

Quote by TatarSalad2
I know man. Soon they're going to have guitars that will play themselves and those crazy robot guitars are going to take over the world!

I will stop them!!!

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Gibson have discontinued the Les Paul Standard in favour of the 08 Standard, I think that pretty much says it all.
RULE BRITANNIA
Local guy is selling one for $800. You guys think I should go for it, and if so, where the hell do I get the $650 I need?