I'm sure many others have realized this but it just dawned on me a little while ago.

It really makes me mad how much Dean is milking Darrell Lance "Dimebag" Abbott's (Dimebag) death. If you go onto Dean's website, look how many signature Dimebag guitars there are. And from what I've heard, they're not all that great. Dean thinks they can charge a few extra hundred dollars just because they've slapped "Dime" on a guitar. Dean is just trying to get as much money off of his death as they can. Look at the "DBD Tribute ML." It's a Dean MLX with Dimebag on it. And they're charging an extra $300 for it! It's not a tribute. It's a disgrace! It just makes so mad how Dean is taking so much advantage of his death.

/rant
Last edited by TatarSalad2 at Dec 28, 2008,
Aye, tis' part of why I dislike Dean's.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
You should have titled the thread "Dimebag Darrel exploitation"

you would get more sympathy one would think

Also i Agree, why did he play those ****ty guitars
Quote by hippotato7
You should have titled the thread "Dimebag Darrel exploitation"

you would get more sympathy one would think

Also i Agree, why did he play those ****ty guitars

The thing is, the guitars that are on the Dean's website aren't actually the guitars he played. Those are just crappy, half-assed replicas.
Quote by TatarSalad2
The thing is, the guitars that are on the Dean's website aren't actually the guitars he played. Those are just crappy, half-assed replicas.

true that. i only half-agree with what's been said. yes, they are milking Dime's name for all it's worth. But, on the other side of the pendulum, they're cool guitars. i own the Dime shadow, which is essentially just a black ML with the word Dime on it. but it plays well and i like the tone.

i've learned in my short span of playing not to look at who endorses the product, but rather, what it is they're endorsing.
RIP:
"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
Clifford Lee Burton

You'll all be missed

Disciple of Åkerfeldtism
This is why I hate dean. When B.C. Rich started doing Signature Chuck Schuldiner guitars they charged up the ass for it but most of the profits go to Schuldiner's family and charity. For those who don't know Schuldiner had brain cancer and he had it treated leaving his family with a debt.
Whenever you see someone's name on a "signature," "artist," or "tribute" type guitar (whatever its called), that person is getting a royalty for each one sold.

If that person is dead, whoever has control over his estate has (partial) control over that license. You want to gripe about someone milking DD's death? Talk to his executor. Dean is just doing what its being told/allowed to do. OTOH, for all we know, there could be a memo about what DD intended to endorse...

(Yes, I'm a lawyer in real life.)

Personally, I own 2 (non artist) Deans (an EVO Special Select and a Time Capsule Cadillac), and I love them to pieces. After I had a couple of burrs on the bridges filed down (which were causing numerous string breaks), I haven't had an issue with them.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Whenever you see someone's name on a "signature," "artist," or "tribute" type guitar (whatever its called), that person is getting a royalty for each one sold.

If that person is dead, whoever has control over his estate has (partial) control over that license. You want to gripe about someone milking DD's death? Talk to his executor. Dean is just doing what its being told/allowed to do. OTOH, for all we know, there could be a memo about what DD intended to endorse...

(Yes, I'm a lawyer in real life.)

Personally, I own 2 (non artist) Deans (an EVO Special Select and a Time Capsule Cadillac), and I love them to pieces. After I had a couple of burrs on the bridges filed down (which were causing numerous string breaks), I haven't had an issue with them.

If you're a lawyer you must know what you're talking about...

I own a Dean ZX myself and I love it. The guitars that have Dimebag's name on them are a farcry from the one's that he actually played.

If you're a lawyer you must know what you're talking about...

On occasion!

Some companies do things a little differently, but the industry standard is to have a royalty markup of some kind that goes to the artist...or his estate.

I own a Dean ZX myself and I love it. The guitars that have Dimebag's name on them are a farcry from the one's that he actually played.

Most, but not all, "artist" models are just affordable approximations of what the artists themselves play.

Its like the difference between a Corvette and a Camaro or Firebird. At one time, the Camaro and Firebird were "intro-level" Corvettes, with parts and equipment that was similar to, but not identical to, Chevy's flagship sportscar. At top trim levels, however, Camaro/Firebird performance and features were similar to a Corvette...an entry level Corvette, that is.

Ace Frehley talked about this kind of thing in an interview some years ago. He'd get cases of his signature Gibsons from the company before going on tour, typically with options that simply weren't offered to anyone else- and no, I don't mean his rocket launcher or smoke bombs.

Occasionally, though, the only diff between what an artist plays and his signature model is that his is broken in and the one in the store is new.

Me? I just tend to avoid most of those guitars. I would, however, like one of those recent Burns Brian May Red Specials- May himself said they were pretty good, and I heard him trying one out side by side with his own.

Nearly identical.
I have a dean razorback v (great guitar) and i think its justifyed that it has Dimebags name on it for that he designed it but apart from ones he designed dean making all these random Dimebag guitars is pretty down right low, just making money by taking advantage of a great person who got his life taken to early. R.I.P Dimebag
I own a Dean ML 79 w/ floyd

It's pretty good for the money

But that's about the only Dean that I like
I heard that Darrel used the search bar.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
The fact that Dean's suck also is part of my dislike.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
What's it matter, he sucked anyway.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
What's it matter, he sucked anyway.

not kool man, im not even a pantera fan and barely no his music but he was a great guitar player, and you saying that was totally uncalled for.
an prepare your flame shield others arent going to be as peaceful as me.
and i agree Dean pisses me off
Quote by stratdud39
not kool man, im not even a pantera fan and barely no his music but he was a great guitar player, and you saying that was totally uncalled for.
an prepare your flame shield others arent going to be as peaceful as me.
and i agree Dean pisses me off

You're making it sound like it's worse that I'm saying it because he's dead? Weather he's dead or not, he's overrated as ****.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
You're making it sound like it's worse that I'm saying it because he's dead? Weather he's dead or not, he's overrated as ****.

well actually i wasnt
i just said it was unkool to bash a guitar player in a thread with his followers and fans.
i'd tell you the same thing if we were talking about jimmy page
Ah, I see. I'm just tired of people being all over his nuts just because he died. He wasn't anything special, but because he died the way he did everybody loves him that much more.
Last.fm

Quote by srvflood
Ah, I see. I'm just tired of people being all over his nuts just because he died. He wasn't anything special, but because he died the way he did everybody loves him that much more.

well i do agree people are making too big a deal of him(like dean), and i mean he wasnt the best metal guitarist there was, as people say.
I'm in complete agreement with the TS. Even the company starter (forgot his last name, Zilenski or something like that?) left the company because he didnt like the direction they were going in. They've just been using his name to make more money. I have no respect for that company.
Quote by -Blue-
I'm in complete agreement with the TS. Even the company starter (forgot his last name, Zilenski or something like that?) left the company because he didnt like the direction they were going in. They've just been using his name to make more money. I have no respect for that company.

yeah and now that dude (the founder of dean) is coming out with a whole new line of guitars.
they actually look pretty sweet, maybe they'll be better than the deans, but i heard they were pricey though
Quote by philjay
I heard that Darrel used the search bar.

I heard that same stupid joke a million f*cking times.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i dislike the guitars that bear his name, although i have seen some very nice ML's... the Raozrback is terrible, but i only played a lower model...

what bothers me more is the lack of time he was back with dean after leaving marshall and the krank thing...

knowing that his signature lines we not completed makes me wonder how they can push it like they do, unless perhaps they were completed... i think if dean were to say this "we completed what we feel was dimes perfect guitar, yatta yatta yatta, and $100 from each sale or 3% goes to his estate...."

but that is too much public info, but i think spelling it out would be the honest thing to do and spark sales, or kill any thoughts, like the ones the TS has, and i share...
the most ridiculous part is that they are putting the word "dime" on the headstock of guitars that are nothing like anything dimebag played anyway. Besides, i thought he used washburns more.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
the most ridiculous part is that they are putting the word "dime" on the headstock of guitars that are nothing like anything dimebag played anyway. Besides, i thought he used washburns more.

Fortunately for Dean, he changed back over just before his death.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The only reason he was over rated was because dean have made him!
he was a damn good guitarist IMO.
Dean have just gone wayyyyyyyyy over the top and just marketing his name
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
You don't see Washburn milking Dimebag's death.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by srvflood

yes but dime was actually a pretty cool guy from what i hear
Haha, everyone in this thread (appart from me) has too much time on their hands. I love dime sigs, people think that they are over priced, put it this way

a razorback explosion is £650

uk tax is 15% so thats £97.5
the dimebucker is £90 the neck pup is around £30
the liecenced floyd rose is £110
the large deluxe case is £90
tuners and strings is around £20

in total £437.5

now, this doesnt include the wood, craftsman ship, shipping, finishing or the manufacturers warranty

when you think on it dean arnt making that much money per model. i seriously think that all people who hate dean are just esp or ibanez fan-boys. And if you hate dean cause you cant afford it, then get a fukin job and stop complaining.

im saving for either a dean from hell or a razorback explosion and i nearly had enough gathered to order it at the end of november, then i had ****ing car insurance to pay, so now its going to be another few months. Before you start bull****ting about dean, go play one.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
Haha, everyone in this thread (appart from me) has too much time on their hands. I love dime sigs, people think that they are over priced, put it this way

a razorback explosion is £650

uk tax is 15% so thats £97.5
the dimebucker is £90 the neck pup is around £30
the liecenced floyd rose is £110
the large deluxe case is £90
tuners and strings is around £20

in total £437.5

now, this doesnt include the wood, craftsman ship, shipping, finishing or the manufacturers warranty

when you think on it dean arnt making that much money per model. i seriously think that all people who hate dean are just esp or ibanez fan-boys. And if you hate dean cause you cant afford it, then get a fukin job and stop complaining.

im saving for either a dean from hell or a razorback explosion and i nearly had enough gathered to order it at the end of november, then i had ****ing car insurance to pay, so now its going to be another few months. Before you start bull****ting about dean, go play one.

Those are retail prices I'm guessing? It costs them way less to make the things like the pickups and the floyd than they sell them for. Plus, they don't have to pay tax on the guitar, that's what you pay when you buy it. So, in reality, it doesn't cost nearly that much to make. Try to get the facts right next time before you try to argue.

Also, I'm partial to both Ibanez and ESP. They aren't really my type of guitars most of the time, though some of them are pretty nice. ...And for the record, I also think guitars with graphics on the front are just cheesy, I perfer standard finishes.