After playing one of my guitars, I have grey/black fingertips, and not for the first time...

Anyone know why? Is this normal?
Yeah, metal coating/dirt and junk stuck between the wounding. I get that sometimes when I slide a lot.
Oh my lord.
You need to change your strings, most likely. And it seems like you should have changed them long ago.
Black residue = not good, and could be damaging your frets.
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.
it might help if you wash your hands every time before you play
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I get black residue on my hand's when i play my acoustic, i think it's the black paint rubbing off the fretboard.

What guitar are you playing, perhap's the fretboard has been darkened with some kind of stain or paint.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Maybe you need to change strings and its just old sweat and dirt from playing..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Thanks, it's probably the strings, I haven't changed them in a while. Hopefully it hasn't hurt the frets.

It's the SV, but I'm pretty sure it's happened with both. The fretboard is ebony, but it's really nice and this only happens every once and a while.

The only correlation I can think of is that I just cleaned the fretboard with a new toothbrush. No oil or water or anything. I do it every few months to get the dirt and junk off the area around the frets.
Quote by hitman_47
Dirt/Sweat mixture. Need to wipe the fretboard clean.

That's just the thing though, I just did that, and it wasn't happening until I did.
how hard did you rub? Could you have stripped anything off? How old is it? If it is old and is kept in a hot place the it could be whatever was used to treat the wood coming off in fine powder.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I don't think it's the fingerboard, if it's ebony then highly unlikely it's been treated with anything. I'd try just giving your strings a good rub down with a cloth. with you end up with black stuff on it they're probably the culprit.
i had a weird problem where a guitar straight from the box did it, was a PRS and turned out to be the shoddy strings that were put on in the factory....string change and was fine.....maybe shoddy strings.

but yeah simply proably the crap on your hands
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by Daniel8488
I get black residue on my hand's when i play my acoustic, i think it's the black paint rubbing off the fretboard.

What guitar are you playing, perhap's the fretboard has been darkened with some kind of stain or paint.

I had this on my Crafter acoustic at first - 10mins with a microfibre cloth and some lemon oil sorted it for good
i had the same thing happen to me after i finished cleaning it with fret board cleaner. it eventually stopped but im pretty sure it was from me not wipping it off good.
Could be dead skin? When I play shred, and I look at my hands after like, 2-3 hours of play, the skin is all gray/black, and it's usually just dead skin.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
Could be dead skin? When I play shred, and I look at my hands after like, 2-3 hours of play, the skin is all gray/black, and it's usually just dead skin.

the grey/black isnt the skin. its metal. taste test it! i think strings with protective coatings to it less. eg elixirs
You can taste test it! I usually pour the lemon oil used for the fretboard for a lemony sour sensation that just bursts in your mouth! >.>;
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Delanoir
After playing one of my guitars, I have grey/black fingertips, and not for the first time...

Anyone know why? Is this normal?

yeah i have the same problem, except my fingers are a putple blue color and they extremely hurt. I have been playing for hours wothout a break. It doesnt seem normal.....