Well, yesterday I was roaming around music stores and the only thing of interest was this Valve King 100 (Peavey) head for the price range.

I purchased it and since I don't have enough money my friend is letting me borrow his cab for awhile (Behringer).

I'm pretty sure I set it up right.. Mono in the cab for 16 ohms and 1 patch chord connecting the head to the cab at 16 ohms.

By the way, this is the first time I have ever used anything above my 15 watt randall and this is all new to me but when I put my volume knob past 1 I get intense feedback that ends up giving me a migraine (distortion channel) It's a high pitch screech.. Is this normal? Do I need a noise gate? None of my friends with stacks (Although solid state ones) had ever had this problem so I am slightly curious as to what can make that screech.
hmmm...thats odd...i have a valveking stack and dont have any problems like that...but make sure that your settings arent all out of wack...like the gain all the way up and what not. Also the cord your supposed to use to connect the head to the cab should actually be a speaker cable not a patch cable ( i am under the impression that the type of patch cable you may be using is actually made for pedals and not speakers). Also did you buy the head new? i didnt buy mine new and i think mine is actually missing a preamp tube, so if i were you i would at least take it back to the store and make sure none of the tubes are blown or missing. if so they arent really that expensive (any where from about $12 a tube and up, and i know that amp has 4 power amp tubes and 3 preamp tubes). I hope this helps
Sounds like you're not using a speaker cable.
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
Sounds like you are used to a lot of gain....

In a small room... once the gain gets past like.... 4/10... if the volume is even at 1/10....instant feedback...
Quote by shredfest116
Sounds like you're not using a speaker cable.

+1

TS, I can't stress enough the importance of this post.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I asked the clerk, i'm new to amps... I need to know everything about buying this beforehand. He was negligent enough to not tell me I need speaker wire. I wonder if they will exchange this then. Yes I used a guitar cable... So my head is blown?
No your head isn't blown, but it will be soon if you don't get one.

Seriously dude, go get one. They look the same as guitar cables but a bit thicker and generally higher quality.
Quote by Joelieo
No your head isn't blown, but it will be soon if you don't get one.

Seriously dude, go get one. They look the same as guitar cables but a bit thicker and generally higher quality.

I borrowed my friends speaker cable, or at least what he had his cab set to for a year now and I can't get any sound =[!!!

Just a faint squeel, sounds like feedback from the head.
Quote by steven seagull
+1

TS, I can't stress enough the importance of this post.

+2

PS: He can check all the tubes himself - he doesn't need to take it in, although I doubt that is the problem whatsoever. A bad/missing/microphonic preamp tube could produce sqealing tho.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+2

PS: He can check all the tubes himself - he doesn't need to take it in, although I doubt that is the problem whatsoever. A bad/missing/microphonic preamp tube could produce sqealing tho.

Well, you think I blew up a tube or something instead?
It's possible. Are you saying you now have a speaker cable attached? And the problem went away somewhat? What are your other settings and you have no pedals in the mix right now right? And you can verify that your guitar and instrument cable is good right?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It's possible. Are you saying you now have a speaker cable attached? And the problem went away somewhat? What are your other settings and you have no pedals in the mix right now right? And you can verify that your guitar and instrument cable is good right?

Both are good, I have multiple guitars tested with... The speaker cable did NOT remedy the problem.

I'm going to bring it in to the store, i'll report back.
OK. Probably the best thing. You should have had the store hook it up to a cab for you so you could play before pay. You can do a simple test on preamp tubes by gently nudging/pushing/tapping on them one at a time with the eraser end of a pencil and see if you can hear it. You'll have to take the aluminum casings off but that's easy.

I had this problem with my VK and it turned out to be a self induced blown tube. And if I plugged my amp into the same power strip as my pedals I got horrible screaching feedback. If you want to try the pencil test I'll stick around - otherwise, take it to store.