/what ever you wanna call it.

I need help choosing a good noise suppressor or hum canceler...I don't even know what to call it.

Anyway, I tried a HT-DUAL the other day and loved the tone, but while I wasn't playing there was a substantial amount of hum and bother.

I know that it is because of the high gain and single coils, but was wondering what is a good pedal to stop this noise.

I could probably get the ISP Decimator, but I've heard mixed reviews, and yes I know it's going to colour my tone.

Or would new pickups suffice (which I don't really think so)?

I use a Mexican Strat into a Laney VC30.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I have a Boss Noise Gate that I bought in the early 80's, never had any problems with it yet.

1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
I thought about the NS-2...it's a lot cheaper and seems to do the job. I just don't want my tone to suffer too much but the Boss doesn't seem to hurt too bad.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I'm in the same boat as you, I just don't want to colour my tone at all.
Quote by sebastian_96
I thought about the NS-2...it's a lot cheaper and seems to do the job. I just don't want my tone to suffer too much but the Boss doesn't seem to hurt too bad.
If you keep the NS-2 threshold dial above 3 o' clock the pedal will be transparent. But you will sacrifice some gating speed for feedback. Otherwise it will eliminate hiss and hum nicely.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
The boss ns-2 is nice and doesnt color tone like some people say. I still prefer decimators. Neither colors the tone though. Its a matter of which you like better.
I have an MXR SmartGate and like it a lot. I have the trigger set at 12 noon. It has a low,med, high hiss selector. Some of my pedal clips demo it. It is in my effects loop after all the other pedals. I have a MIM Strat too and don't find it to be all that noisy but you can also try shielding the internals with a cheap kit from stewmac.com.

I second the MXR Smart Gate, i use it all the time, and i love it. Sometimes it drains a bit away from the sustain, so if i want a reallllllly long note i just flick it off then turn it back on.
Gibson Les Paul + Orange Tiny Terror = Sex
ISP decimator doesn't change my tone at all...

IMO the best noisegate out there.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
It's my experience that Noise Gates usually suck to have in your rig. The Decimator and the NS-2 both work as well as a stompbox noise gate is going to, but using noise gates in general nearly always sacrifices something to get rid of hum.

I would suggest living with it; Try playing with the pickups away from your amp, like standing by the side of your amp. Otherwise, really you should probably just get one of the 2 pedals.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
The NS-2 is great - its made out to be a tone killing monster by most of the UG users, but more than likely its just another situation where the majority have never tried one and just jump on the "lets bash 'insert item here' bandwagon".

I've been using one for a few years now and I've never noticed any change in my tone. However, if you set the threshold high then it is going to kill your sustain - if you leave the threshold low then you are filtering less noise through the gate which is going to allow feedback to come through.
I use the Boss NS - 2, have been for a few years, gigging and whatnot.

It works great, as long as you utilize the send/return loop for you're noisy, modulation/distortion effects.

You can pass through the normal input/output right to your time based effects (delay, reverb) and basically have the pedal in FRONT of your chain this way (with modualtion/distortions/overdrives) in the NS-2 loop.

I have a pic of it in my profile, in my pedalboard - works great, no significant tone loss, and neatly eradicates the noise from my GE-7 EQ, and others.