Hi there all, sorta new to this place but been reading a while as there seems to be some good ideas about.
I have an squire p-bass, a couple of years ago I took it apart and planned to rebuild it, but never got round to it, other than new pickups and pick-guard.
Over xmas i had some free time so decided to put it back together, however there are some problems...
1) Theres an unacceptable amount of humming and background noise when plugged in, it was always bad for this but now its un-playable.
2)I started to strip the paint of (didnt get far at all!) soo i need to repaint it, or put up with an awfull look to it. Im tempted to leave it as a talking point, except its a talking point about how lazy I am.

I have looked at rewiring it and wondered if anyone had any experience/thoughts on this sort of kit http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/REPLACEMENT_P_BASS_PARTS_KIT_CHROME_PMGSCR

Any thoughs/ideas on what to do would be appreciated!
buy the parts individually, it might be more expensive but you know you're getting better quality parts
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
for the humming, dont place it next to a screen. interferance with moniterscan cause it. just thought id mention.
Price is a bit of a factor unfortunatly, im looking for the cheapest way to get the bass back in decent condition. The joy of being a student.

I know how near the bass is to other electrial items affects the amount of hum but I have never heard it this bad before. I have just checked it again, how close it is to my laptop/tv/stereo/amp does not affect the humming significantly.
Check the soldering. Make sure every joint is shiny and not dull/rainbow coloured.

You might want to just resolder all the joints.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
What I've done to my basses to reduce the hum, is shield the cavities and replace the unshielded wires with shielded wiring.

Make sure that the shielding foil for the cavities are properly grounded; otherwise, it'll make it worst. Some PUs have brass ground plates so if yours doesn't, shielding will be beneficial.

If you have unbearable hum while playing, it's because you have a grounding issue. Buy all new electronics (probably cost you five pounds) and install them correctly and that problem will be solved (you could just fix the existing ones, but it'll be easier/good experience and you'll get some better parts just replacing everything). Spend 10 more and get some spray paint and sand paper-finish sanding then spray paint the bad boy with a base coat then some clear coat.

=both of your problems fized for around 15 pounds.
if price is a factor check outaxesrus LINK the site is a bit hard to navigate but the prices are great, delivery is free and a hell of a lot quicker than WDmusic
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.