hey guys,

basicly in the next few weeks im considering upgrading to an epiphone thunderbird from GAK (£194). Any one had experiance with this bass? and delivery from GAK for that matter.

My current bass is a eight yearold bc rich ironbird pro which i got with a laney for £50. the bottom pick up's going (its passive, so its nothing to do with a battery), it's chipped all over theplace and the majority of hardware, howeverhard ive triedto salvage it, is rustedas hell. Reckon its worth doing?

To answer any questions about playing progress, ill point out I learnt to play an intro riff last night in twenty minutes, when at the beginning (when i tried) i failed for 2 days straight and gave up.

I look forwards to your responce.

Juds
no, why? i cant be screwed explainin at the moment but here are some reasons

muddy tone
neck dive
poor upper fret access
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Try a a Les Paul special from Epiphone. I have one and I love it.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by roaddawg07
Try a a Les Paul special from Epiphone. I have one and I love it.

i just had a look at it...but it didnt do anything for me. sorry.
i recently ordered some stuff from GAK and it came within a week well packaged however my friend ,like yourself, ordered a epi thunderbird in october and is still waiting for it to come as they ahave none in stock and neither do the UK supplier. At the moment they have told him they should be instock around january 25.
Ive no personal experience of the thunderbird, but just from browsing the bass forum the past few years its clear they don't have a good reputation. They have a neck dive problem and sound muddy, amongst other things.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877629&highlight=epiphone+thunderbird

Reading this thread should help a bit. Yes, you should probably get a new bass, but just not the thunderbird.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
thunderbird is just an altogether bad bass, too many problems with it
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
thanks for the link.

I play stuff ranging from racounteurs to ash to uk subs with a few kinda lacuna coil bits.

For me, access to the higher frets arnt really that importants, as im not a massive jazz or funk fan, just good time rock n roll.

And thanks for the heads up about gak - ill call the store first thing tomorow and enquire.
Quote by slann101
thanks for the link.

I play stuff ranging from racounteurs to ash to uk subs with a few kinda lacuna coil bits.

For me, access to the higher frets arnt really that importants, as im not a massive jazz or funk fan, just good time rock n roll.

And thanks for the heads up about gak - ill call the store first thing tomorow and enquire.

Well, even if you never use the upper frets (which is unlikely, no matter what music you play), it's still a pretty poor bass for the money, get one of these, I guarentee you won't regret it:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-vintage-modified-precisi/71000
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-/71293
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73652
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-gsr-200/582
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by slann101

You may not use all the frets, but when you go up to the 14-17(which are commonly used in most genres) they are in the same sort of position as the 18-20 frets would be on say, a jazz bass. This makes it a lot more uncomfortable to use them.

Plus, if you take your hand all the way to the bottom of the neck anyway you're gonna have to fight the neck dive, which will put you off playing in the upper registers, thus limiting you playing
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
You may not use all the frets, but when you go up to the 14-17(which are commonly used in most genres) they are in the same sort of position as the 18-20 frets would be on say, a jazz bass. This makes it a lot more uncomfortable to use them.

Plus, if you take your hand all the way to the bottom of the neck anyway you're gonna have to fight the neck dive, which will put you off playing in the upper registers, thus limiting you playing

you spoke more sense in that post then the majority of posts in the thunderbirf threads combined.

How much differance would it make if I added another hold point for my strap near the neck with a strap lock attached?
it would make the weight distribution better but you're better of going with another bass
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by slann101
you spoke more sense in that post then the majority of posts in the thunderbirf threads combined.

How much differance would it make if I added another hold point for my strap near the neck with a strap lock attached?

it would solve part of the problem, but the neck dive would still get you.

the mud however, makes your amp needs really loud- I would suggest getting a less muddy bass so you won't have to buy a louder amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
it would solve part of the problem, but the neck dive would still get you.

the mud however, makes your amp needs really loud- I would suggest getting a less muddy bass so you won't have to buy a louder amp.

how big are we talking? Im currently running through a laney 30 watter but occasionsaly run it through a zoom g2 to get a better EQ and drum machine.
Upgrading to a Thunderbird?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I think upgrading to a thunderbird would only be a good decision if your current bass was a broom with some rubber bands taped to it.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX