I have the noobest questions ever made in UG but everyone has been through the same phase when they started playing guitar, so here they are:

1 - What is the difference betwin active and passive pickups?

2 - What are "tube amps"?

3 - I know what are pedals but i dont know if one can do all the effects or we have to buy different pedals for different effects

I hope you can help me and please remember that i'm a noob, dont be too hard on me

PS: Sorry about the errors
After all you fell in love with death,
Life has aborted.
All you've had and all you became,
The night is calling, you pray forth.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
ok in a nutshell...

active pickups require batteries and are arguable better for distortion. cannot be played quietly with tho on clean.

tube amps have as u may have guessed tubes inside which create a better tone. they need to be heated up at first and are generally regarded as better than solid state ams.

and yes you do get multi effects pedals. individual pedals are more expensive overall but will give you a better tone. never ever buy a digitech multi effects upon pain of death
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Well everybodys gotta start from somewhere.
I personally dont know myself, cause i cant be bothered to find out.

And from reading the post above, i get a little understanding from it all.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
DUMBASS!!! no just kidding
active pickups need a nine volt battery
tube amps have alittle tube inside them
that needs to warm up and they usually
have a better sound and are louder then
regular amps... and some pedals have alot
of effects but for the most part its a single
effect to a pedal.
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
well thank you guys for clear that up
After all you fell in love with death,
Life has aborted.
All you've had and all you became,
The night is calling, you pray forth.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
no problem its what this forum is for (Y)
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Quote by Eternal_w

3 - I know what are pedals but i dont know if one can do all the effects or we have to buy different pedals for different effects

Don't sweat it man, we all start somewhere.

1) Passive pickups are generally the 'standard' pickups you'll find in most electrics. You can tell the difference because passive pickups have 6 small metal circles in a (usually) plastic enclosure. Active pickups are usually aftermarket additions, but sometimes come standard in certain guitars like BC Rich and Schecter. Generally they look like a black metal square. They have a higher output because they're wired with a small pre-amp which is powered by a 9v battery. This allows them to give off a stronger magnetic field which does a better job of picking up the strings resonance. Typically they give a louder, more 'agressive' tone, which makes them well suited to metal and hard rock.

2) A tube (also called valve) amp uses vaccume tubes to amplify your sound, as opposed to solid state, which uses transistors. Tube amps are always louder then solid state (a 100w solid state is equivalant to a 50w tube amp), and give a 'warmer', more responsive tone. Though the technology is far older (think of transistor radios in the 70s. They replaced the older valve radios and we able to be portable instead of needing a larger power supply) they're generally sought after for the tones they can produce at volume. Tube amps can always be identified by the 'standby' switch on the front. Vaccume tubes need to be warmed before they can be used, and the standby lets you power on without turning the actual amp on so you can warm up your tubes before you play. Generally the warmer the tubes get (they actually get hot at high volume), the better the tone they produce.

3) It depends. They have some pedals that are 'all inclusive' and have several effects, or digital pedals that can do most effects you'd buy a seperate pedal for, however they're usually not as good as the stand alone units. It's difficult to say for sure because everyone's ear is different, but generally speaking you'll get a better sound from a stand-alone pedal, rather then a 'jack-of-all-trades' type deal.

Hope that helps!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
On multi-effects pedals, some come with features that can help cut costs. I bought a digitech GNX-4, not the greatest tone, but hey, in addition to a hundred tones I got a drum machine and a recorder. If I had it to do over, I might have went for a different brand, but for a non-professional, it provides tones that are "good enough" for me, and I got loads of other features that are available stand alone but are not important enough for me to actually purchase individually. In fact, I use it for the drum machine more than the pedals!
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Eternal_w
I have the noobest questions ever made in UG but everyone has been through the same phase when they started playing guitar, so here they are:

I hope you can help me and please remember that i'm a noob, dont be too hard on me

PS: Sorry about the errors

1. Active pickups are when you are playing the guitar, passive is when you're not.
2. A tube amp is an amp shaped like a tube.
3. The only pedal that can do all the effects is the "enhancement pedal", search on google.

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Quote by JezuzFingerz
1. Active pickups are when you are playing the guitar, passive is when you're not.
2. A tube amp is an amp shaped like a tube.
3. The only pedal that can do all the effects is the "enhancement pedal", search on google.

Are you stupid, or just bored? No, I'm really asking. I'm hoping it's the latter because even stupid people would look at your posts and wonder what you're thinking.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Dec 28, 2008,
all these is a buncha different sounds

active will be more attacky sounding, passive will be flowy. i like to use my active for things like hard core music and stuff to that sort and my passive for indie music.

tube amps use solids states and non are usually gonna be your liquids. tubes give you a louder sound and to me more full of a sound as well.

it depends on the petals, some petals are made for doing plenty of ****ty sounds but its probly gonna be ****ty (or alot of money) some petals suck the **** outta your tone when you not using it because it runs through the guitar to the chord to the amp. some amps will have effects like that. not my personal favorite, fin it hard to get a clean sound outta them but whateve. so basically yes, petals can be versatile in sound just watch out, cause it may sound like crap and effects more than just effects
^ lol petals...

Active pickup need a battery and sound more dark, muddy, bassy like "emg's"
Passive are bright more clearer sounding...they don't need a battery like "seymour duncan's" I like them better.

Solid sate amps are plug and play.

Tube the sound comes from the tubes and when the tubes are hot they give you a warmer sound.

And you can get a pedal with many fx like mine has 80 fx..some are in the pedal and some you can make custom fx.

Q: How do you get a guitar player to play softer?
A: Give him some printed music.
Last edited by King of King V at Dec 30, 2008,
Thats what standby is for! Lol. He answered my questions I never felt like asking.
Me's Stuff!
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Unknown (Cheap Brand) Fender Stratocaster

Amps:
Esteban G-10
Dean Marley GT-1000T (Less than 5 inchs tall)
Peavey Vypyr 15W
Quote by King of King V
^ lol petals...

LOLOLOLOL, I make that typo all the time.

Hasn't someone made a thread with these kind of answers in it so newcomers can come along and find these answers without having to make a thread and feel really insecure?