hey, i know ill probably annoy a lot of people by messing around with a teles pickups but after a year or so of playing about with the different tones my fender mex. tele can get with its defaults i feel like changing things about a bit. ive always liked the tone of people ive heard using red lace sensors at their bridge position, but is there anything i should take into account before putting one in? eg. reliability, poor low end, etc.
I like Lace Sensors, they're great. What don't you like about the Tele's stock pickups? What kind of setup do you have, in terms of amp/pedals?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
i'm running just my mex tele thru a fender blues jr right now, i have a boss os-2 overdrive/distortion pedal but that's at a friends house and has been for a few weeks. ive found pretty much my ideal clean tone but i can't really get a distortion i like out of these pickups - it's either too bassy or too twangy and i'm looking for something a little more cutting and sustained like marty friedman used thru his megadeth years or even similar to some of the lead tones of smashing pumpkins and radiohead
In my honest opinion, you're playing the wrong guitar. The tele is perfect for country, blues, rock, rockabilly, but not metal...nor is the blues junior. You'll preferably need a mahogany body/neck, humbucker, Marshall, and better distortion. The tele was built to be a punchy, bright guitar that cuts through a mix. A Les Paul was built to be a warm, round sounding guitar that can distort very well. I know, I'm painting with very broad strokes in this opinion of mine, but it's "tone 101". There isn't a pickup that will make an ash tele sound like a mahogany LP, and for sure, vice versa.
Quote by Dreamality
In my honest opinion, you're playing the wrong guitar. The tele is perfect for country, blues, rock, rockabilly, but not metal...nor is the blues junior. You'll preferably need a mahogany body/neck, humbucker, Marshall, and better distortion. The tele was built to be a punchy, bright guitar that cuts through a mix. A Les Paul was built to be a warm, round sounding guitar that can distort very well. I know, I'm painting with very broad strokes in this opinion of mine, but it's "tone 101". There isn't a pickup that will make an ash tele sound like a mahogany LP, and for sure, vice versa.

It's like we wanted to say the same thing but you got there first. A Tele is NOT what you want for metal. SG, LP, or Explorer is what you need.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Guys you can play metal with any type of guitar. Look at Jim or James Root of Slipknot he has a tele with some SD Blackouts in it. Its not the look of a guitar its how you use it.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
i respect what you guys are trying to say but ive played a couple of more metal styled guitars in the past and they just werent for me. i really love playing bluesier and acoustic stuff on the tele's cleans, thats a lot of the reason why i got it. but when i do run distortion i have a bit of a different idea for what i want to get out of my guitar. i might not be playing a telecaster for the reasons most people do but i love the way the neck feels and the balance of the body is better than any of the others ive played, and that to me seems like a good enough reason to want to play a guitar.
Quote by Unherolike
Guys you can play metal with any type of guitar. Look at Jim or James Root of Slipknot he has a tele with some SD Blackouts in it. Its not the look of a guitar its how you use it.

I think you misunderstood me. I never mentioned the shape of the guitar. I brought up the fact that that ash and maple sounds very different than mahogany. You could have a tele shape with a mahogany body and neck, 500k pots and different amp and pickups and it will sound different.
I have a red sensor in my strat bridge pos, thats sounds great for hard rock etc. It wont, however, fit into a stock tele bridge.
it wont? i looked on the internet and it said they would fit by default
Tele bridge p'ups mount by 3 screws- 2 behind, 1 in front. Strat pickups mount by 2 scres at the side. Lace do make a tele pickup though...
Quote by kthxbi
hey, i know ill probably annoy a lot of people by messing around with a teles pickups but after a year or so of playing about with the different tones my fender mex. tele can get with its defaults i feel like changing things about a bit. ive always liked the tone of people ive heard using red lace sensors at their bridge position, but is there anything i should take into account before putting one in? eg. reliability, poor low end, etc.
Try the T-150 instead, at 12.8K, it's not as hot as the Red Lace at 14.5K ... but it's hot enough. It's built specifically for the Tele bridge and has the same attack/bite as the Red Lace.

Quote by divinorum69
Go with a stacked tele humbucker!

-1 of cant playing metal with ash maple, thats just bollocks. Give me a simple telecaster, run it in my amp, and in 2 seconds you can go wylde with it

A lot of you guys aren't comprehending what you're reading; just jumping to conclusions. The author of this blog wasn't getting the tone he wanted out of his tele. Opinions aside, a bolt on maple neck responds different than a mahogany body and set mahogany neck as far as tone, attack, and sustain. It's physics...The same person playing the same distortion will sound way different on each guitar. I also stated that the blues junior is not made for metal no matter who you are. That amp is a great amp, I have one, and I use it for country, blues, jazz, etc..., but not metal. Engl, Marshall, and Peavey are standard amps that would suite metal alot better than Fender amps, even with a distortion pedal in front of it.
With over 23 years experience, I'd say I have an educated theory on this , not to mention having a collection of over a dozen amps, own a large collection of guitars, and have produced a number of albums, singles and cues released in over 120 different countries.
I looked at your second post. For smashing pumpkins type stuff, a sensor and a EH muff would sound pretty good through your amp...
Just for clarification, Les Pauls weren't made to distort well - they were made with jazz in mind, actually - it just so happened that with a little tube breakup they sounded very nice. Back in the day, no one wanted tube breakup - it just wasn't desirable nor fashionable at the time. It took the '60s to make the Les Paul roar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by kthxbi
i'm running just my mex tele thru a fender blues jr right now, i have a boss os-2 overdrive/distortion pedal but that's at a friends house and has been for a few weeks. ive found pretty much my ideal clean tone but i can't really get a distortion i like out of these pickups - it's either too bassy or too twangy and i'm looking for something a little more cutting and sustained like marty friedman used thru his megadeth years or even similar to some of the lead tones of smashing pumpkins and radiohead

You'd need a bridge humbucker to get Marty Friedman's tone. Marty Friedman used an Alder body bolt-on Jackson Kelly KE1 with a Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker in the bridge.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Dreamality
A lot of you guys aren't comprehending what you're reading; just jumping to conclusions. The author of this blog wasn't getting the tone he wanted out of his tele. Opinions aside, a bolt on maple neck responds different than a mahogany body and set mahogany neck as far as tone, attack, and sustain. It's physics...The same person playing the same distortion will sound way different on each guitar. I also stated that the blues junior is not made for metal no matter who you are. That amp is a great amp, I have one, and I use it for country, blues, jazz, etc..., but not metal. Engl, Marshall, and Peavey are standard amps that would suite metal alot better than Fender amps, even with a distortion pedal in front of it.
With over 23 years experience, I'd say I have an educated theory on this , not to mention having a collection of over a dozen amps, own a large collection of guitars, and have produced a number of albums, singles and cues released in over 120 different countries.

your opinions are 110% completely biased in favor of Gibsons and amps that most bedroom metal players recommend. And what does releasing singles/albums have to do with absolutely anything in this situation? Come on. Your posting on a forum dominated by 12-15 year old metalheads.
Quote by RHCPFitz
your opinions are 110% completely biased in favor of Gibsons and amps that most bedroom metal players recommend. And what does releasing singles/albums have to do with absolutely anything in this situation? Come on. Your posting on a forum dominated by 12-15 year old metalheads.

That's funny...You couldn't be more wrong. I actually happen to not like Les Pauls for numerous reasons and would choose a tele for the styles of music I personally listen to, BUT... I was giving an educated opinion on my experience, and having played and produced for many years is credibility in itself. You see, just because I don't happen to like the Les Paul doesn't mean that it's not a better tonal decision for someone wanting to rock out which is why a brought perspective to the conversation. I simply kept my personal preferences out of it and went for a more theoretical angle and if this forum is filled with young teens like you say, it's the perfect place for them to learn from someone who has more experience than them. I know I would, and still do from others with more experience than me.
Quote by Dreamality
I think you misunderstood me. I never mentioned the shape of the guitar. I brought up the fact that that ash and maple sounds very different than mahogany. You could have a tele shape with a mahogany body and neck, 500k pots and different amp and pickups and it will sound different.

My point was it just dosn't matter what guitar it is at all or what type of wood no matter you can play any style of music on everything. I know I really didn't make that clear last night but I wrote that reply at like 4:00 this morning I was a little sleepy. I know it was irresponsible of me answering a Question will not fully there.....I'm sorry UG.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Run a good distortion pedal through that Blues Jr. with a good stacked humbucker and you'll be rocking out. My mahogany-body Schecter sounds darker than my strat, but a Little '59 will get you close with that OD/Distortion pedal. You have a good amp and a good guitar, so to tweak your sound a new pickup is just what you need. Get one of SD's mini-humbuckers, IMHO, and you'll be freaking set.
I Japanese Fenders
thanks for all the replies, ill look into the t-150s for sure, thanks and ive been looking at getting an ehx muff of some sort

theres something i think i should clarify though, im not a metal player. a lot of my playing is based off clean or just-broken up overdrive like you can get ideally through a tele and a blues jr, im just looking for a bit more of a kick when im soloing or occasionally doing heavier stuff. im not interested in emgs at all as what ive heard of them, theyre only there for rock hard distortion and that's not my style in general.

edit:
Quote by GravyFish
Run a good distortion pedal through that Blues Jr. with a good stacked humbucker and you'll be rocking out. My mahogany-body Schecter sounds darker than my strat, but a Little '59 will get you close with that OD/Distortion pedal. You have a good amp and a good guitar, so to tweak your sound a new pickup is just what you need. Get one of SD's mini-humbuckers, IMHO, and you'll be freaking set.

yeah, thanks, ive been thinking about checking out the sd mini-humbuckers too
Last edited by kthxbi at Dec 29, 2008,
Well, i installed in my tellie and unless you turn your gain up or run dist/od pedal through, it will be as silent and clean as it is on a desert night. :3

I highly reccomend them to you since this ones are the exceptiion hehe. Maybe it's because they are designed for tele's they are like that, for once EMG outdid themself :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by kthxbi
thanks for all the replies, ill look into the t-150s for sure, thanks and ive been looking at getting an ehx muff of some sort

theres something i think i should clarify though, im not a metal player. a lot of my playing is based off clean or just-broken up overdrive like you can get ideally through a tele and a blues jr, im just looking for a bit more of a kick when im soloing or occasionally doing heavier stuff. im not interested in emgs at all as what ive heard of them, theyre only there for rock hard distortion and that's not my style in general.

edit:
yeah, thanks, ive been thinking about checking out the sd mini-humbuckers too

Okay, maybe you should look at some of the other SD Tele bridge pickups then. Do you like the bright Tele sound, or do you want darker, humbucker tone? If you want a powerful single coil, I'd recommend the Quarter Pounder over the Little '59. I found out the hard way that rail pickups sound more like humbuckers than single coils, so I'd go for a true single coil if you like that sound. My bad for misinterpreting.

BTW, I love Lace Sensors. I wish they made more tele models.
I Japanese Fenders
I have another recommendation; the Visual Sound,"Jeckyl and Hyde" pedal is a double pedal with one side being a tube screamer over drive with a bass boost and the other side is a hotter distortion pedal with eq and a noise reduction circuit built in that you can control or turn off completely. Sounds great for blues to harder rock and soloing. Not heavy enough for death metal, but I don't think that was your goal from what I read earlier. Even if you go for a pickup change, I would really recommend checking out that pedal. I just got their whole entire line of pedals this month because I fell in love with their sound.