Is there anybody there that knows is there any book o cientific o philosofical research o theory about how music affect us.

That explains why a progresion of minor chords sound sad and a mayor cord progrresion sounds happy. Why for the majoritie of time if music is played loud its easier to like. or why some rithym´s make us senswhatevfer feeling. Or why the majority of changes or "piecies of a song" are every 4 times or one of his early multiples.

We musicians are aware of these things, but ¿what causes them?.

Greetings from venezuela.

I see few things have been written about this so maybe people can also tell therre teories
Ruinas Circulares
Last edited by juan Andrés at Dec 28, 2008,
i don't know why a minor chord sounds sad and stuff, but why louder music sound better is easy. it's because sounds need to be strong enough for a human to fully percept it the way it's meant to be. otherwise the 'EQ' won't be right and the sound pressure isn't there, which is vital for music to sound good.
There are a few philosophical books written on this.. I'd suggest you check out the following link and continue with the list of references at the end:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/music/
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died. Hakuin answered 'How am I supposed to know?'
'How do you not know? You're a Zen master!' exclaimed the samurai.
'Yes, but not a dead one,' Hakuin answered.
Quote by shredding king
sad twat get a life music int in books its inside us

thats a really stupid comment... its actually a pretty good question!
and im sure u cant answer it.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Quote by shredding king

wHAT...?
Ruinas Circulares
Quote by shredding king

don't listen to this. he obviously has no clue

the answer is actually pretty simple. it's because that's the way we've been taught to interpret these sounds. if you think about it every piece of music when you were young was related to something in a movie or show, even the words of a piece can change something from sad to happy (or vice versa) its about how we've learned to interpret the music. the eastern music system (like a real sitar) has different feelings about it to its native musicians and although it sounds off or different to a lot of us, they derive a lot of feeling from it because of what they learned as being "musically descriptive" while growing up.

tl;dr - our enviroment influences tell us what is "happy" or "sad" in music.
Quote by z4twenny

our enviroment influences tell us what is "happy" or "sad" in music.

I Dont think is that simple

I actually have a large discussion about these the other day. Maybe is not something from outside instead is something from inside the way our brain and or hearing organs are formed or how they process vibrations and information. Or maybe a mix between those factors.
Ruinas Circulares
Music isn't a mere pastime or distraction; rather, it's a core element of how our minds function. We can explain it just as much as how we can explain humans managed to develop philosophical thoughts and became conscious beings from the dark recesses of history. Basically, don't bother. If you're truly interested however, Daniel Levitin wrote some very interesting texts on the subject.
Quote by juan Andrés
I Dont think is that simple

well whether or not you think it is that simple doesn't take away from the fact that it is. very very few things are ingrained in us through evolution, only the most base of instincts. pretty much everything else is learned. you're overcomplicating it unnecessarily. hopefully archeo drops in and clarifies what im trying to say here so i don't have to be the ass..... you and i can listen to the same exact song and extract 2 completely different things from it. it's your perception of music, which is learned, that creates any kind of feeling within you (the listener)
Last edited by z4twenny at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
well whether or not you think it is that simple doesn't take away from the fact that it is. very very few things are ingrained in us through evolution, only the most base of instincts. pretty much everything else is learned. you're overcomplicating it unnecessarily. hopefully archeo drops in and clarifies what im trying to say here so i don't have to be the ass..... you and i can listen to the same exact song and extract 2 completely different things from it. it's your perception of music, which is learned, that creates any kind of feeling within you (the listener)

True, the only thing that could be "true" is the notes/intervals.

A major 3rd gives a more stable resonance and therefore feels more pleasant which could translate to happy.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??