lul titel, do you have tube or ss?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
od's don't really work well with solidstate, thats all.
get the tubescreamer.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
od's don't really work well with solidstate, thats all.
get the tubescreamer.

Quote by Dunkelheit-164
Well, if you want to use a tubescreamer you'll need tubes to scream 'em

i hope neither of you take this personally, but i'm getting frustrated about this because the misconceptions about overdrive pedals won't go away:

Overdrive pedals such as the tubescreamer are designed to simulate tube overdrive and be run into a clean amp, because at the time they were invented you had to crank a tube amp to get overdrive because there were no master volumes, but people wanted overdriven tones without blowing their heads off. they are not designed to boost tube amps - it just so happens they work well for it, but they work decently into a clean solid state amp too, and in some cases can even work well as a boost with a solid state, too.

clean boosts are what were designed to boost tube amps and do the job better than overdrive pedals if you don't want to colour your tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
So does it make sense to put a TS9 in front of a JCM 800 Combo for GnR/Slash kinda sounds?

I need to play at bedroom level.
you cant get Slash out of a JCM 800 :s?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark

from what i hear about the JCM800, it doesn't have much gain unless you crank it. so yes, a TS9 should help if that's the case.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by bucketmark

Yeah, thats pretty much all he used along with Jubillee heads for a LONG time.
Yeah, stick a Tubescreamer or similar OD infront of it with low gain and high level.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense to put a TS9 in front of an 800.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
My thinking is that if you have a tube amp, a nice analog OD/Distortion driving your lead/rythm channel is a match made in heaven.

I'm one that likes to tweak the gain on my Mesa Triple Recto just to the point of breakup, and utilize an analog distortion/OD to push it into the crunch zone when necessary.

Electro Harmonix, Tech 21, Maxxon Real Tube and so on -

But if you're using SS amp, you may as well go the whole 9 yards and add even MORE robotic flavor with a nice Line 6 pedal, right?
If you're looking to get Slash tones, you'll definitely need a wah pedal of some kind. I know he uses a Dunlop Crybaby.
Quote by Ernie Ballz
My thinking is that if you have a tube amp, a nice analog OD/Distortion driving your lead/rythm channel is a match made in heaven.

I'm one that likes to tweak the gain on my Mesa Triple Recto just to the point of breakup, and utilize an analog distortion/OD to push it into the crunch zone when necessary.

Electro Harmonix, Tech 21, Maxxon Real Tube and so on -

But if you're using SS amp, you may as well go the whole 9 yards and add even MORE robotic flavor with a nice Line 6 pedal, right?

it sounds more natural than typical solid state drive if you use a tubescreamer - trust me, i've tried it. solid state amps sounding robotic? your mention of line 6 pedals as though they also sound robotic just because it's line 6 suggests that you're just parroting little bits of information that you have no idea about. (no offence intended)

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Titel says it all

About your IQ.

jk
******A Console Cowboy****** 1