Page 1 of 2
I'm doing it again, starting everso slightly different threads. For that i am sorry however my situation has changed.

I've had my squier looked at by a luthier, whom after a good setup installed some new locking tuners to replace the old ones. This seems to have fixed my tuning stability problem. I am still looking however for a new guitar.

I have about £600 but that is the absolute maximum if it is truly worth it. I don't like heavy guitars, jumping around on-stage kills the shoulders! I like pretty standard/thin neck shapes so no tree trunk les pauls please. I love my strat to bits, however i think i need a different guitar and would like to option of a humbucker sound.

I don't really like guitars with a copied identity, so PRS les pauls (singlecuts) i find slightly wrong somehow.

I play in a covers band and play EVERYTHING from Cleans to Metal really, but we generally stay within the Indie -> Hard Rock category

Oh and if possible i would prefer to have no trem but certainly NO FRS.

I've been advised to look at:

- PRS SE Custom (24 fret model wth ltd ed flame top)
- MIM Fat Strat

I've been looking at:

- Gibson Les Paul Vixen (but it seems that this is just a poor quality guitar)
- Gibson Melody Maker (Again vastly overpriced and cheap quality)

I'm just confused basically because i wan't a guitar i just don't know which one. I've been and played a few and to be honest when properly setup there is very little to choose between most guitars.

CAN SOMEBODY HELP?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
maybe a jag stang if you can find one
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Look at ESPs?
Loads of bands use them they must be doing something right!

And indy generally uses single coils, whereas hard rock genrally use humbuckers dont they? So you coudl look at Yahama Pacificas which have a mix of both!!!

Or LAG guitars, they did this really nice model with two humbuckers and a single coil.
Or Ibanez.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Look at ESPs?
Loads of bands use them they must be doing something right!

And indy generally uses single coils, whereas hard rock genrally use humbuckers dont they? So you coudl look at Yahama Pacificas which have a mix of both!!!

Or LAG guitars, they did this really nice model with two humbuckers and a single coil.
Or Ibanez.

I've owned a Yamaha Pacifica 612v and i wasn't overwhelmed by it. Whilst i good appreciate it was a great guitar, it just never felt right.

ESP's seem a little pricey for me and slightly harder orientated than i wanted.

The jag stang looks like it would suit me well, but it looks a bit odd in my opinion.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty

ESP's seem a little pricey for me and slightly harder orientated than i wanted.

Theres a £500 LTD I saw with a thru neck, was pretty great value.

But I seriosuly recommend you check out the LAG Arkane Series, they look lovely.
get a dean V theyre amazin

theyre gr8 value honestly

u can get a diff shaped necks n for arnd 400
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Theres a £500 LTD I saw with a thru neck, was pretty great value.

But I seriosuly recommend you check out the LAG Arkane Series, they look lovely.

I've just had a better looka around and wow:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/froogle/46988/

^^ worried about weight

And yes the Lags look gorgeous, but i hate trems really!

Quote by fenderholic65
get a dean V theyre amazin

theyre gr8 value honestly

u can get a diff shaped necks n for arnd 400

God no, had a V, never again. They are the least practical guitars in the world! I'm sure the dean V's are nice but not for me. Too pointy!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
An Ibanez SA series maybe? Low weight,thin necks,HSH configuration,and a vintage style trem similar to a wilkinson or what you would find on a strat.

EDIT: HSS config. actually,my bad.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SA260FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=517962

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 28, 2008,
Ah shame..

What about looking at Fender Telecasters, my mate has a cheap one and he seems really really happy with it.
checkout vintage guitars on dolphinmusic.com!!!
Vintage V100 Peter Green signature
Squier LP
inbanez 12 string V
"custom" Abertone strat made in finland
Squier Acoustic Hello Kitty
Orange Tiny terror
Yamaha cabinet from the 60´s
Quote by velmis
checkout vintage guitars on dolphinmusic.com!!!

I've had a look, but as good as they are i'm just not a fan of vintage guitars. They just don't feel like they have that killer quality.

I've played the "Zip" series and the Top end Les paul, but neither floated my boat really.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Washburn X50 Pro, has got seymour duncan pickups (or EMGs if you're so inclined), quilted maple top, grover tuners, buzz feiten tuning system, mahogony body + neck.

£300, really gd price and you'll have some moneys left over for other things.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
check out any of these guitars
http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/electrics.html
most of them are in your price range and they all look really good, i have the valor custom and it's great, it has a good range, plus the coil taps can help give it a lot of versatility
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Maybe hunt an old Telecaster Plus, one with the single in the neck and humbucker bridge. Tasty. Ask Johnny Greenwood.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
take a look at the szr ibanez. any S, SA or SV Ibanez seems to be hitting all of your criteria minus the trem, which is where the szr comes in.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Its hard to ask for advice in here anymore these days, there are just so many metalheads that all you are going to get are extremely biased opinions all pointing towards ESP's and Ibanez's. Look into a japanese made 72 tele reissue, or try looking for a used Fender Cyclone. Or try a Faded SG or an SG classic, the latter has P-90's and is extremely well built.
Get a schecter. C1-Classic plays nice. A schecter gryphon (is what I have) costs like $339 (dollars, not pounds) comes with two humbuckers ,I would recommend switching them out for real duncans, and a coil splitter for nice single coil tones. 24 Fret neck. The neck plays pretty well in my opinion. I can play fast on it and it's not too fat but not insanely skinny and flimsy. The body is light. Mahogany body and a flamed maple top. Seriously you might think "$339 for a schecter, it must be awful! Schecters are metal. Blah blah blah" you'd be wrong. This guitar is amazing. Switch out the humbuckers and play it through a good amp and you'll be set.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Maybe take a look at one of the Laguna HSS w/hardtail models? I can't remember the model number, but I know it exists. They also have a HH w/coil tap if you'd prefer that.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
i was going to say an ibanez rg1570 until you said no FR...

I think you can do a lot better than a PRS SE or Fender MIM with £600. in my opinion, anyway.

how about a yamaha pacifica 812V? Some godins might be worth a look, too... if you play a wide variety of stuff, something with both single coils and humbuckers is generally a good idea...

that washburn would be worth a try too if you want to keep the cost down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RHCPFitz
dont get a crappy washburn like that man.

wtf?

Give me one reason why that washburn is crappy...

look at the specs...
look at the price....
read the review...
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was going to say an ibanez rg1570 until you said no FR...

I think you can do a lot better than a PRS SE or Fender MIM with £600. in my opinion, anyway.

how about a yamaha pacifica 812V? Some godins might be worth a look, too... if you play a wide variety of stuff, something with both single coils and humbuckers is generally a good idea...

that washburn would be worth a try too if you want to keep the cost down.

Your right, i just don't think that with my budget a prs or fender would do me justice. I've just had a look at a GODIN Passion RG-3 and that looks amazing! But i'm guessing it's way out of my budget. I am however warming to that ibanez SZR720, American strat in local store and a custom tele with humbucker in the neck.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
600 euros are what in American dollars?

Depending on the price, you can get the RR5 string through body version which is hot and has a versatile set of JB/Jazz pickups or get it used. Either way, it's worth it.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
^^ just don't rush into a purchase, you have plenty of time.

^ about 4 billion, i think.

kidding, i guess about 900 dollars? but they won't buy as much as 900 dollars will, because prices tend to be quite a bit higher in europe... i'd assume it to be the equivalent of about 600-750 dollars, but it depends on the brand too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would Jaguars be in your price range? The humbucker version without a trem sounds like exactly what you want. I don't know where you would get one in the UK though.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Quick update, i'm off to a music store on friday. I've narrowed my search down to an Ibanez as for my budget i believe they produce the best quality guitars most consistantly. I'm looking at An ibanez S series guitar, specifically the; S470 & the S470Fm and i'm also looking at the RGT42DX as it's a run-off model i can save myself a bit and get a guitar of excellent quality with a through neck. I've changed my mind on tremelo's as i'm hoping that a quality trem unit will stay intune better than the sub-par and non-locking versions i've used before.

X

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Well i went to my local guitar store today and played:

* Ibanez S470
* Ibanez Joe Satriani 20th Ltd Edition model
* Ibanez Jem7v
* Ibanez RGA321f
* Tokai Les paul goldtop (w. bigsby)
* Tokai Les Paul Standard
* Tokai SG Special
* Prs Custom SE
* Prs One
* Gibson Les Paul Studio
* Epiphone Les Paul Standard
* Fender American & Mexican Strat
* Fender American & Mexican Tele
* Jackson DK2 Dinky

And i wasn't blown away by any of them. None of them played particularly better than my strat and although the les pauls gave a thick tone they were too heavy and the necks on the gibson and epiphone models were about as refined as a tree trunk.
The ibanez' were fun to play but the pickups were't great in all fairness. The PRS's were absolute tone machines but for the price you don't get alot and GRR i'm just a bit dissapointed i found nothing i liked

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
that's quite a nice selection of stuff you tried. it's annoying that you didn't find anything you really liked, but at the same time at least that means you won't end up buying something only to find you don't like it later.

what did you think of the tokai sg special? that's the one with p90s, right? i'm kicking myself that i didn't try one when i had the chance (i didn't realise it was a japanese one ), the next time i went into my local guitar store it had gone...

EDIT: were all the tokais you tried japanese ones?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's quite a nice selection of stuff you tried. it's annoying that you didn't find anything you really liked, but at the same time at least that means you won't end up buying something only to find you don't like it later.

what did you think of the tokai sg special? that's the one with p90s, right? i'm kicking myself that i didn't try one when i had the chance (i didn't realise it was a japanese one ), the next time i went into my local guitar store it had gone...

EDIT: were all the tokais you tried japanese ones?

Hmm i agree but i really liked the S470. The only thing i disliked was the pickups and for the price i may just swop them out and buy it.

In all honesty i don't know i never looked at the origin of the tokais, all i know is they played really really well and sounded great. They just weren't for me.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
thanks. i think that tokai sg, if it's the one with p90s, is MIJ, but there are some newer chinese Tokai juniors (with single p90s) which have become available recently. if you don't like gibson-style guitars, though, and they're not what you're after, then you're right, they're probably not for you even if you can tell that they're "good" guitars.

yeah, the cheaper ibanez pickups tend not to be great... is there any way you could get to try the ibanez rg1570? that'd be the other obvious one to try, it's MIJ and normally is a good guitar. pickups should be a little better than the s470, but still probably need to be swapped eventually...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks. i think that tokai sg, if it's the one with p90s, is MIJ, but there are some newer chinese Tokai juniors (with single p90s) which have become available recently. if you don't like gibson-style guitars, though, and they're not what you're after, then you're right, they're probably not for you even if you can tell that they're "good" guitars.

yeah, the cheaper ibanez pickups tend not to be great... is there any way you could get to try the ibanez rg1570? that'd be the other obvious one to try, it's MIJ and normally is a good guitar. pickups should be a little better than the s470, but still probably need to be swapped eventually...

Hmm it was definitely the special but like i say i don't know the origin. It played like a dream and sounded pretty thick for an SG, but it just didn't feel right so like you say whilst i appreciate it's a good guitar it's not for me!

The cheaper ibanez' aren't up to much cop in my opinion, they just felt lifeless clean. Overdriven and distorted they sounded ok and the sound could probably be tweaked with an eq pedal.

I'll probably swop them out for perhaps a BareKnuckle Humbucker (something about 11k) and some Rockmonkey singles. I should have a super versitile tone machine i think.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
yeah, i know what you mean, i've played plenty of stuff which was nice (e.g. orange amps), but just not for me.

if you're going to change the pickups, make sure you try out its unplugged tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i know what you mean, i've played plenty of stuff which was nice (e.g. orange amps), but just not for me.

if you're going to change the pickups, make sure you try out its unplugged tone.

Unplugged tone? I've changed pickups before but i've never even considered unplugged tone. Is it to do with magnetic string pull? or am i off the mark?

And just for the record i love orange amps but couldn't live without the versitility of my setup as in my fenders cleans are a perfect base for anything i throw at it pedal wise!

On this topic, i tried a few amps today. I tried all the guitars through a modified DSL401 (jcm2000 variety + new tubes & speaker swap) but i tried an; epiphone socal50 halfstack (which was great for the price tag really, had a good rock/heavyrock tone and a good reverb), engl powerball (was too heavy for me) and a Matchless Combo but i forgot to get the model number. It had a great rock tone!

Anyway....

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i just mean see how it sounds when played not plugged into the amp (or with the guitar's volume rolled down to 0).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i just mean see how it sounds when played not plugged into the amp (or with the guitar's volume rolled down to 0).

I worked that bit out but can't quite work out why?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
if it sounds good like that it means that the strings are vibrating well (which is helped by the guitar's wood and hardware), which should translate into good plugged-in tone. I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if it sounds good like that it means that the strings are vibrating well (which is helped by the guitar's wood and hardware), which should translate into good plugged-in tone. I think.

Can't really fault your logic there, and i have done. It sounds better than most other guitars i've owned!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Page 1 of 2