i have a yamaha f370 and love it and don't want to change it, however i don't quite like the sound (or just not used to) as it is much different from my falcon fg100 which i had previously.

I was wondering which gauge strings are pre fitted on them?

the reason for this is because i like to play with quite a loud and deep sound and also like to bend the strings quite a bit to get that extra sound effect. however, i like it so chords are still easy to play without too much pressure which obviously comes with higher gauge strings (thicker)

also what types of steel strings are best (the material) because im finding it hard to get used to the sound on my new guitar, the strings on that are phopsour bronze.

i usually play songs from red hot chili peppers, muse, jimi hendrix, jack johnson. a song i play alot is by the way by rhcp and it doesn't sound as deep on my new guitar, why could this be.

please help if you can.

Thank you
Well! (I'm talking to you) lol. The fact that its a new acoustic guitar could be a reason, also because its a really cheap guitar, could be because the strings are really light or/and you are a total n00b. LOL
You'll have 12s pre-fitted. I'd say for the sake of ease stick with that guage. You'll compromise the tone if you get lighter strings for bending and such, so just do your best to get over it.
Quote by S.Y.N.
Well! (I'm talking to you) lol. The fact that its a new acoustic guitar could be a reason, also because its a really cheap guitar, could be because the strings are really light or/and you are a total n00b. LOL

ok thanks , just don't get personal next time.
congrats on your new guitar .. i love that guitar .. but yes .. stick with lights .. as thats what the guitar comes with .. i personally like phosphor bronze .. i would also stick with that .. just because it sounds different from your falcon doesnt mean it sounds worse .. and your guitar will sound better the more you play it as the solid spruce top ages .. i use to have a fg730s and i found mines too play very deep .. more so than my current dr500r .. but as long as your sound/tone is balance .. it will sound all good =D
take it easy man .. its just a thread
All Yamaha guitar's come from the factory with 10's, not 12's on them. That's what they told me when I emailed them when I bought mine. I use Martin SP 10's on mine. What a sweet sound. I've tried almost every brand available and these sound the best. I play a Yamaha F335, also a cheap but very sweet playing and sounding guitar.
Last edited by roger33 at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by roger33
All Yamaha guitar's come from the factory with 10's, not 12's on them. That's what they told me when I emailed them when I bought mine. I use Martin SP 10's on mine. What a sweet sound. I've tried almost every brand available and these sound the best. I play a Yamaha F335, also a cheap but very sweet playing and sounding guitar.

ah right, thanks for that, my old guitar must of had 12 gauge strings on them then, thats why the sound is different, and obviously becuase of what its made from.
ye it comes with 12s as previously stated. 12s are great and in my opinion you should definitely stick do them but the factory strings on this one really sucks. I switched to D'Addario EJ16 and it improved the tone of my fg730 a lot.
is there anybody in there?
Email Yamaha and find out for yourself. They respond pretty quickly.
Quote by roger33
Email Yamaha and find out for yourself. They respond pretty quickly.

thanks, just done that
Quote by Sciot
ye it comes with 12s as previously stated. 12s are great and in my opinion you should definitely stick do them but the factory strings on this one really sucks. I switched to D'Addario EJ16 and it improved the tone of my fg730 a lot.

ah right thanks alot!, just in case you didn't realise i have the yamaha f370 not the fg730, so would your comment still apply? i.e. the strings supplied not being that good. and you would recommend the D'Addario EJ16?
oh sry! well yeah, anyways the EJ16s rule =)
is there anybody in there?
Yeah. I would stick with 12s. 11s at the bare minimum. You can drastically change the kind of sound your guitar gives just by changing strings. You'd be surprised. My personal favs are the Martin SPs. The Eric Clapton signatures are also very good. I'm currently using them on my Martin.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Yeah. I would stick with 12s. 11s at the bare minimum. You can drastically change the kind of sound your guitar gives just by changing strings. You'd be surprised. My personal favs are the Martin SPs. The Eric Clapton signatures are also very good. I'm currently using them on my Martin.

]

am i right that changing the action level on the guitar also affects sound quite a bit? i think i will stick with 12's, but so i know are 14's available or 13s?
It shouldn't change the tone of the guitar. That will remain the same.

There are such things as 14's, but guitars these days can't handle that kind of tension. 13s(medium gauge) should be ok, but the action will raise by itself if you put them on. The tension is greater than 12s, so it pulls the action up.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate

There are such things as 14's, but guitars these days can't handle that kind of tension. 13s(medium gauge) should be ok, but the action will raise by itself if you put them on. The tension is greater than 12s, so it pulls the action up.

so the 13s would give a deeper less btight sound correct? but still pretty sweet sounding?...
Quote by captivate

ah ok thanks. on my old guitar (fg100) the action was alot higher (the strings were furher away from the fretboard), i compared them before selling it on and i could see that on the yamaha they are a lot closer to the fretboard, does this just happen over time?

note - my old guitar was pretty cheap and i do not remember the strings ever being that close to the fretboard, especially as close at the yamaha ones (got it as a beginner)