Has anybody done the R28 or C11 and C12 mods to their Phase 90? Did it make a differnce in sound? Would removing these resistors change the output level of the pedal?
This is relevant to my interests
Quote by Flying Couch
I approve of this thread.

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty
Best book ever, best thread ever.

Quote by batman187
I definitely approve of this.

Quote by meh!
Quote by Invader Jim
Cool. Soundclips?

I wish I could get some sound clips, sadly I have no recording devices and my camera is broken

but I just did R28 modf for now, wich just involved removing a resistor (the others may come soon) but it made a significant diffrence in sound, it sounds much smoother. the R28 is the feedback resistor, and this apparently can make a distorted mid-boost sound at times. I never really noticed this until I removed it, to anybody who has a newer Phase 90 I would highly suggest this mod, it's simple and effective.

here's the website I just found that has some info and instructions.

http://www.erikhansen.net/?page_id=31
Couldn't you plug into the soundcard of your comp and record with one of the stock Windows programs? That's what I used to do before I got my RP-7 and Nero Wave Editor. I get great quality from the new setup.
hmmm...That might work, I can just use audacity. I'll have to give it a try when I get back to my apartment tomorrow since I'm lacking in my electronical stuff here at home , christmas break just flew by didnt it.....
Hate to bump this thread...but there isn't any other ones and I don't want to make another one asking the same question. So did you do the C11/C12 mods too? Or just the R28?
I had a Phase 90, one of the block logo new ones and did the R28 mod on it. There is a difference and its worth it. Easy to do and I didn't go further then that in terms of clipping the C11 and C12. I liked the difference a lot, I ended up trading that pedal in for an early 80's Japanese made Boss BF-2 and the guy who has it now also said it sounds much better then when he had a stock block logo Phase 90.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
I had a Phase 90, one of the block logo new ones and did the R28 mod on it. There is a difference and its worth it. Easy to do and I didn't go further then that in terms of clipping the C11 and C12. I liked the difference a lot, I ended up trading that pedal in for an early 80's Japanese made Boss BF-2 and the guy who has it now also said it sounds much better then when he had a stock block logo Phase 90.

Thats what I wanted to hear! Anybody else? These mods seem fairly easy and I'm gonna order the parts soon to do this and mod my wah too.
You don't need any parts to do the R28 mod, its just clipping 1 transistor thats it.
Just cut one leg of that bad boy (R28) and put the pedal back in its case, thats it. Thats all you need, thats all I did. There are further mods to switch back and forth if you want but not worth it as the later sounds much better you won't go back.

Quote by DSOTM80
You don't need any parts to do the R28 mod, its just clipping 1 transistor thats it.
Just cut one leg of that bad boy (R28) and put the pedal back in its case, thats it. Thats all you need, thats all I did. There are further mods to switch back and forth if you want but not worth it as the later sounds much better you won't go back.

I was going to do these mods

http://www.erikhansen.net/?page_id=31
So to remove this resistor, all you're doing is clipping one of the wires? You don't have to remove it all together? And you don't need special equipment to remove it at all? I would like to know more about this...I really want to get into gear customizing.
Yup, just clip one of the legs and leave it there. No need to desolder it. Lots of info if you google for it, thats how I found out
I snipped the R28...and it made a big difference. I tested it on the same amp, same settings. I plugged straight into my Crate V18 and kept the same settings...a mildly overdriven tone with a bit of reverb. Cut the resistor and came back. Before there was a muddy spot in the sweep of the phaser that came through crystal clear and its gone now. Defintely worth the 5 minutes it took.

Now, my next question. Who has done the C11/C12 mods? Did you just cut those resistors too or did you replace them with a different value? I read on HC that there was a significant volume drop by just cutting them on some Phase 90 models.
I went ahead and cut the C11 and C12 caps. I figured it could all be redone after a quick trip to radio shack if it messed up the volume. It didn't. It made the sweeps a little more clear and the effect more pronounced. I also adjusted the trimpot after removing the hot glue. I messed with it from one extreme to the other (after marking its original position)...and eventually settled on dialing it back (counterclockwise) just a hair from its original position. Very easy to do and well worth the 30 minutes total I spent on all of it.