This doesn't seem to be too dire. But am a little confused. There's fret buzz on the fifth E fret. I've been playing it quite a bit, and this seems to have happened pretty suddenly. I played it, played another note a few times, and then it was there. My brother tells me it's most likely to be the way I'm plucking, or that I'm not pressing my finger hard enough on the right bit of the fret. However, it's consistently doing this, and it I don't know if I can have changed my position and such that permanently. He also mentioned the possibility of lowering the truss rod or something similar.

Basically, I'm a huge newb at this (got the bass on Christmas Day, that's how much of a newb!). But I know about fret buzz, and this is annoying me, so, at the risk of sounding whiney, I have come to you for advice! Is it still most likely to be me doing something wrong (which is hugely likely) or could something need adjusting? I haven't done anything mechanically (right word?) with this bass ever. Thanks for any tips or advice!
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Send it to a shop to get it fixed. It wont hurt your wallet that much!

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
Try tuning it really low, and then up again. I think it have worked sometimes for my guitar.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
its probably you not pressing the not hard enough, if youve just got the bass, if not tis the action most likely
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I had that problem...probably others...starting off as well. Your fingers will get stronger, try those grip things to strengthen your forearm/wrist.
Steps:

1. Really make sure your freting correctly.
2. Raise the action a smidge.
3. Adjust the truss rod.
4. Take it to a shop.

If you don't feel comfortable doing steps 2-3, skip right to the 4th one.