in my band me and our lead guitarist come up with the songs, yesterday when we tried it for the first time it wasn't so good. I had lyrics and a meldoy to a song I wrote and he liked it and came up with the amazing guitar part but when we put them together it was all off beat because he doesn't know any theory at all. When I suggested we shoule talk to bar by bar instead of all at once we got something worked out but he was still off on the timing alot but not as much as before. So What should we do to work out this little bug? Just have him learn some theory or will it need some more? or is it my fault cause I was being kinda bossy?
Not being able to play in time with the rhythm is nothing to do with learning theory, it just means he sucks at playing along to a beat. All you can do is have him practice with a metronome.
From what it sounds like, its not that he doesnt know theory. He just doesnt have good sense of rhythm.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by rich420
Not being able to play in time with the rhythm is nothing to do with learning theory, it just means he sucks at playing along to a beat. All you can do is have him practice with a metronome.

exactly
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
I know, literally, nothing about theory att all. Even so I write songs with my band all the time. You don't need to learn theory to know what sounds good or bad...
i think that stuff like that is more of a baseline. he may or may not have a crappy sense of rhythm, but try this instead:

sing the lyrics, and have him play along with it from scratch. come up with something new, while still keeping in mind the line he came up with before. if that doesnt work, try changing the rhythm on the lyrics.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It does have to do with theory in the abstract, but the fact is, when you're writing songs, a good ear is much more important than knowing theory. You can't just jam parts together and expect it to sound good. You have to take the time to really listen and come up with appropriate parts. It sounds to me like you just figured a great riff and a great melody will automatically be great together, but that's not how it works.
Quote by koslack
It sounds to me like you just figured a great riff and a great melody will automatically be great together, but that's not how it works.

That's probably true

I wou.dn't say he has a bad sense of rhythm cause when we cover a song he's perfect with the beat it's just when writing our own songs it seems off
Yeah, like others said, he just doesnt have a sense of rhythm. I'm not sure how much playing along with a metronome will help. Some people just dont have rhythm. I know this bass player who cant play along to ****. He always gets lost in the rhythm. Hes taken lessons for years but still sucks.

EDIT: ^Just read your above post. Maybe he has a specific tempo in mind for the part he wrote and just cant play it to the one you want. Try letting him start the song.
Quote by sglover34479
MOFAUX is the coolest guy ever. Women want his babies.

The rest of you are balls
Quote by MOFAUX
Yeah, like others said, he just doesnt have a sense of rhythm. I'm not sure how much playing along with a metronome will help. Some people just dont have rhythm. I know this bass player who cant play along to ****. He always gets lost in the rhythm. Hes taken lessons for years but still sucks.

EDIT: ^Just read your above post. Maybe he has a specific tempo in mind for the part he wrote and just cant play it to the one you want. Try letting him start the song.

The edit sounds right to me, happens to me sometimes.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
The edit sounds right to me, happens to me sometimes.

happens too damn often to me and it pisses me off