pretty much the title, whenever i bend on the top string it goes off the top of the fretboard & kills the note. i've been trying to play voodoo child & i've just been bending downward

-also is the symbol to bend down a downward arrow?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Clutch32192
pretty much the title, whenever i bend on the top string it goes off the top of the fretboard & kills the note. i've been trying to play voodoo child & i've just been bending downward

-also is the symbol to bend down a downward arrow?

On the thick E string you can only do a full bend by bending it down.
bend the other way so that it doesnt go off the fretboard, doesnt matter wether you bend up or down as long as your bends are in pitch
Just making sure you know it doesn't matter which way you bend, it does the same thing, a downward arrow in guitar pro usually means to strum down but ya just bend the opposite way of the edge of the fret board so it doesn't go off.
Don't pull the string down, push it up toward the other strings and use the weight of the guitar more than just your fingers. I actually wan't aware that there was a way to indicate how to bend. I think the thing you're talking about is the picking direction. If a note has ^ over it, that means pick down. If it has \/ over it, it means pick up, in the direction of the arrow.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
pull it down towards the A string
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
For the low E string (low pitch) bend down towards the other strings. For the high E string (high pitch) bend up toward the other strings. You can never bend a string to make it flat. Bending either way makes the pitch sharper by tightening the string and keeping the length of the string the same.

So in general, bend towards the middle of the fretboard.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I bend all my strings down except the high E and sometimes the B if I'm going for a larger bend. It works extremely well. I think you'll be fine.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jan 2, 2009,
You can only bend down on the low E so your tab may be wrong or you may be reading it incorrectly if it tells you to bend that string up
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You can only bend down on the low E so your tab may be wrong or you may be reading it incorrectly if it tells you to bend that string up

tabs dont tell you to bend in a direction.
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Quote by BackDoorEntry
tabs dont tell you to bend in a direction.

Thats what I thought which Is why I questioned the fact that the OP asks about the symbol for bending down
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
just to clarify: guitarists generally refer to "top strings" = thin strings, "bottom strings" = thick strings.

when you say how to bend top string, I first thought you were talking about the thin E string, not the thick one.
Quote by Chris3235
no actually...top string tends to be...at the top of the guitar..

No, the "top E" is the thinnest string and that's the way it's always been, no need to make yourself look like a dick by trying to be different
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
heh heh

"top" and "bottom" refer to pitch, not position relative to the ceiling (or whatever)

if you say to a guitarist "play a low E" you're telling him to hit the low (bottom) E string, not the top (thin) one
Okay, my bends are a pile of steaming plop at the moment, but for what it's worth, I always bend towards the middle of the fretboard. Yes, it means two different techniques, but at least the strings are going to stay on the fretboard.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Yes Seagull and Guitarviz are correct... "top" and "bottom" refer to pitch... it bugs me when people switch it up.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Here's a tip.

Strings 1, 2, and 3 (thinnest strings). Bend upwards.

Strings 4, 5, and 6 (thickest strings). Bend downwards.
I just simply bend towards the middle of the neck...
Always sounds okay to me.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
FINALLY!

THANK YOU!

Was waiting for ages for the penis.

Quote by guitar-guy01
i'm in ireland, we're neutral, we won't fight unless its for a day off or alcohol

Nihilism doesn't exist...
Quote by TSelman
Here's a tip.

Strings 1, 2, and 3 (thinnest strings). Bend upwards.

Strings 4, 5, and 6 (thickest strings). Bend downwards.

This
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
bend away from the next string youre going to play
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate