when you read this, please keep it in mind that i did try and find something in the Ultimate Painting/Refinishing Thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm in pretty desperate need. I don't really want to settle for anything under exactly what I want.

It's really important that I get answers as soon as possible. I have until January 3rd to finish the entire project. (Reshaping the body, new electronics all the way through and a new paintjob - that i'd like to be swirled)

To see the project, check out the two most recent blog pages on here, and the pictures in the Guitar Customization folder if you have anything you wanna say about it. myspace profile

We have rustoleum brand oil based enamel paints, a generic brand paint thinner (it's just titled "Odorless Paint Thinner"), and because soap has qualities that break surface tension, my dad has been using dishwasher soap on the tests. So far, we've had no success.

I'm on a tight deadline to get my guitar refinished and I have my heart set on a swirl finish.
I've spent hours and hours looking - But I can't find anything that's just simple, and straightforward saying what the mixtures of what chemicals they used were.

Some say you need borax, some say you don't. Some call for methyl cellulose, and a lot of them just contradict other articles.

I'd like something from someone who has had experience swirling the finish on a guitar.

My main questions are:
What are all of the chemicals you used for the project?
Did the temperature of the water affect the final product?
How much did you mix different things, such as paint and thinner, the amount of borax or whatever you used to break surface tension, if you even used something for that?
What were important things in your technique, like the way you had the paint float on water, like needing to be gentle or use a fair amount of force, anything that needs to be done while I swirl or other things you think I would need to know?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Well Ive swirled a couple of things in preparation for a guitar body(never ended up doing the body) like bricks and scrap wood and I used only water borax and paint. I believe that I used Testors modeling paint. I did what it tells you to do in the website below. What you want to do after the borax is mixed in and after you add the paint, take a pencil or something to make swirls in the bucket or whatever youre using.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

I know it says not to use testors right away but it was all i had and it seemed to work still. Just make sure that you put on some clear coats over the wirl paint otherwise it will fade off in a few days
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Dec 28, 2008,
Alright. We'll probably end up following that pretty religiously. Thank you. Any more information from anyone could help me tremendously though.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Bump. Sorry. I don't ever do things like that. But it's important to me.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300