Hi,

I got my hands on a brand new Fender Super Champ XD (tube amp) today, but I think it's not sounding like it's supposed to sound atm. I'm not a big Amp wizard so maybe people here can help.

I plugged it in this afternoon and after playing with the tuners a bit I managed to get some pretty cool sounds out of it. I loved it etc. After about 2.5 hours of play I got a sore strap shoulder a bit and put it aside to watch some tv. Some hour later I returned and played some more, but I had this feeling it sounded very different than before. I figured it was just a setting so I changed the voice (Super Champ has 16 different 'voices' like metal, blackface, tweed etc.) around and tried the fx-switch some. But even though the sound changed, overall it kept sounding.. more grainy than it should. Like it was coming out of an old radio or something, with alot of noise in the sound. Not distortion, but noise. Not a static or hum or anything, but in the sound itself, if that makes sense. It's not as bright as it was this afternoon. I tried it again just now (after a dinner break), same thing.

Could it have to do with the tubes not being warm enough/being too warm? The clean channel and the somewhat cleaner voices (Jazz and Acoustasonic as they're called) sound better, but it's the distortion ones that seem to sound alot more grainy than before.

And, wether it's related or not, what's the deal with the tubes? They need to warm up before sounding at their best I read somewhere, but what kind of timeframe am I looking at? And how long does it need to cool down? And what are the effects (apart from possibly breaking the tubes) if these timeframes are violated?I tried looking this up in the manual before I started playing but it didn't say much about it.

Lots of questions I know, but I love the amp so I hope you lot can help
a lot of tube amps can be turned on and off easily with no warm up or cool down. Generally you can consider 30 seconds to warm before playing and some time to cool down. How old was your new SuperChamp? Was it a floor model? Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem. If so, I'd use your warranty. Otherwise, swap the power tube like for like and see if you notice a difference.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
a lot of tube amps can be turned on and off easily with no warm up or cool down. Generally you can consider 30 seconds to warm before playing and some time to cool down. How old was your new SuperChamp? Was it a floor model? Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem. If so, I'd use your warranty. Otherwise, swap the power tube like for like and see if you notice a difference.

As far as I can tell it was a brand new model, boxed and everything, just bought it yesterday. Compared my sounds with some youtube stuff, found this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6PiHd-H2U yet my sound is nothing like his on the channels with distortion (3 and 7-14). It sounds like there's far much more noise in the sound than there should be. When I turn the channel on it even hums like crazy. Not a static on the strings or anything but from the speaker, 'in' the sound. I guess it's impossible to explain really but it doesn't sound right.
Try a different wall socket. Turn off any monitors also.
Signatures are overrated.
Tried alot of different things now. A friend advised putting the amp on a different surface than ground lvl so I stacked it on top of another (acoustic) amp that I have. No difference. Tried different outlets, both grounded and ungrounded, no difference (apart from extra static on the ungrounded one). Turned the amp away from the guitar to make sure there wouldn't be looping sound or anything, played alot with all the different settings (including changing gain vs volume), but it still lingers. Sadly I don't have the luxury to try a different guitar or amp to see wether it's the amp or the guitar...

I'm not sure how to define the problem, and that's what's bugging me the most. But I can't lose the feeling that it's not sounding the way it's supposed to sound, especially after I've read nothing but good about it. And pretty much every Youtube vid I've seen sounds different from mine too.

I guess I'll take it back for another in a few days (oh joy, long ride xD)