My friend got a bass for Xmas, and is playing it through her guitar amp

I tried to warn her that it could blow, but I dont actually know WHY?
Anyone know?
Guitar amps aren't designed to handle sounds that are as low as the bass. Keep in mind that the standard bass is tuned a whole octave below a standard guitar.

Also it tends to come out all distorted and funky, which you don't really want anyway.
You'll damage the speaker. It's not designed to handle those frequencies. Also, it will probably overheat the amp. A guitar, however, can be played on a bass amp.
Quote by MrToucan
My friend got a bass for Xmas, and is playing it through her guitar amp

I tried to warn her that it could blow, but I dont actually know WHY?
Anyone know?

Did you read my post? I told you two things that can happen to the amp.
Quote by MrToucan
I wish you people would actually READ the post before commenting. FFS

aren't we feeling rather polite today?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
the frequencies on the speaker aren't made to handle a bass, it will die sure enough.
Not necessarily.
Played at a very low volume, it has very little chance of blowing or damaging it at all.

If it is at a volume that you can pracise at, and not play in a band situation it should be grand for a while.

But overall, it's not a good thing. Being horribly poor and jobless two years ago I was playing a squire Jazz P (With a warped neck) through a ****ing peavey bandit.

Now that is what I call an awful awful tone.
Quote by Casketcreep
Not necessarily.
Played at a very low volume, it has very little chance of blowing or damaging it at all.

If it is at a volume that you can pracise at, and not play in a band situation it should be grand for a while.

But overall, it's not a good thing. Being horribly poor and jobless two years ago I was playing a squire Jazz P (With a warped neck) through a ****ing peavey bandit.

Now that is what I call an awful awful tone.

My amp hasn't been at my house (for more than a couple of days) for around a year. I can't remember the last time I practised plugged in(excludiong band practises).

And the worst part is, it's a behringer
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Casketcreep
Fair point, I would only really have it plugged in if I am playing with pedals, or trying to work out a nice EQ to go with a certain song etc.

Yeah occasionally I'll use my guitar amp as well but most of the time I just go au naturale.

And to be completely honest, the fact that it means I only get to play my Behringer once/twice a week could be seen as a bad thing or a good thing
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by Casketcreep
Behringers have a bad rep, but there exists equipment that is much worse.

Otherwise behringer wouldn't be in business.

Maybe so, but I think one of the reasons they're still going is advertising. The amount of money they must pay these magazines/websites must be incredible I saw a banner on Digital Village the other day that read something like "5 Star, the best amps on the market at the moment"
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by Casketcreep
It didn't specify what they were best for?

"Behringer - best amplifier for breaking into kindling wood and starting a small camp fire"

yeah that was the small print
Quote by guitarhero_764

To go back to the original question, it's because guitar amp speakers are not made to handle low frequencies. They quite literally destroy themselves trying to reproduce low frequencies, due to the greater motion and power in producing low frequencies.

Low volumes only makes it die slower.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It's nice to see someone actually wondering what's going on, instead of just going "oh, ok" when told "no, it'll kill the amp"

A speaker makes sound by moving back and forth to create pressure waves in the air, or sound. The more power that you feed to a speaker, the further it moves back and forth. When it moves out as far as it can, it reaches a point called "xmax". After this point, the amp is trying to make the speaker move farther than it is capable of moving. The parts of the speaker that connect the cone to the rest of it are stretching to their limit. Imagine a dog running toward you, only to be yanked back by the leash around its neck.

The lower a frequency is, the more power it takes to make it sound as loud as higher frequencies, which means the speaker has to move much farther. Bass speakers are designed to do this, but guitar speakers are not. Bass speakers can generally move more than twice the distance of guitar speakers. Because they can't move as far, guitar speakers hit their xmax a lot sooner than bass speakers do, which can damage them. This is why they can't handle bass guitar frequencies.

Also, the speaker hitting xmax is generally what you're hearing when your amp is "farting out" on you. This is called clipping, and will definitely damage your speakers. (It's also possible for your amp to clip due to trying to put out too high of a signal, and this will also make it "fart out", but that's a completely different topic.)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 28, 2008,
If you're talking cheapie amps, they generally have the same speakers as that company's bass equivalant. The speaker in my friend's crate is the same as the one out of another's crate bass amp. My old bass teacher actually prefered the 15watt crate guitar amp over the bass amp because it had punchier tone, too. And in a lot of cases, cheapie guitar and bass amps actually share the same circuitry, just a couple of caps or resistors are differant.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
What happens when you play bass through a guitar amp? God smites you with a plague of his choice. You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

Ok seriously, it can damage the amp. The least that can happen is that it causes an annoying buzz or hum in the amp--worst case, it smokes. The other consideration is that her bass is going sound so much better through a bass amp; even through a low end Kustom BA10. Seriously.
its the tones and frequencies. its the speakers itself and all thats connected to that, which is alot
What about Line 6 2x10s? The modeling ones.

Someone told me that it was built for guitar and bass.
I got a bass for Christmas too, and All I have is a guitar amp, the amp is very small, its a 10 watt Fender amp. I'm just curious if it would damage it if I kept is under 5 on the volume, or does it need to be lower? I don't want to damage my only amp, and I want to play on my bass. And also, would it damage the amp if I had the volume low, but a pedal turned up?
Quote by gwath42
What about Line 6 2x10s? The modeling ones.

Someone told me that it was built for guitar and bass.

they're wrong and that amp sounds terrible anyways.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120