All,

I have just dusted off and repaired a Yamaha a3000 sampler which a friend gave me years ago. It's got a 4.5gb internal HDD and 64mb ram.

I play all sorts of stuff and no doubt i'll want to get more involved with sampling at some point, but bearing in mind that I have cubase sx3 as well as Battery, kontackt and some other VSTi samplers that i got in a bundle - what benefit would using this yamaha give me?

Or should I ebay it and put the money toward some decent monitors........like the alesis monitor one mk2's?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Does the sampler have MIDI outs? You could get a MIDI interface and use the Yamaha to trigger your software sounds. Then again, it may be better to get a AKAI MPD24/MPD32 or similar USB triggers if you want a responsive software-only sampler. In any case, the Yamaha's best for performing without a computer.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by cuthbertg
All,

I have just dusted off and repaired a Yamaha a3000 sampler which a friend gave me years ago. It's got a 4.5gb internal HDD and 64mb ram.

I play all sorts of stuff and no doubt i'll want to get more involved with sampling at some point, but bearing in mind that I have cubase sx3 as well as Battery, kontackt and some other VSTi samplers that i got in a bundle - what benefit would using this yamaha give me?

Or should I ebay it and put the money toward some decent monitors........like the alesis monitor one mk2's?

The way I see it, sampling is used and good for mostly techno or hip-hop production. A studio could probably sample acoustic drums and use it as a drum machine but its a lot of work and you need to record everything...

I would probably get a hardware MIDI sequencer and sell the sampler but thats just my thought.