I have a cheap Dean bass, a $99 one that I just got to learn on. I also have a Fender amp that I got a few years ago, it's a pretty small one with hardly any effects on it. Now I'm starting to play a lot and I need something new. Should I get a new bass first, or a new amp? Which is more important?
Not a bad question. I'd probably get a better bass first.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I dunno, are you in a band, or planning to be?

Cos if you are, I'd go for getting the new amp first
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Amp will be far more beneficial to your tone, also effects aren't really standard on bass amps.

pretty much the only effects you'll find built-in are compressors, which most of the time aren't very good.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by FNAFJ
I dunno, are you in a band, or planning to be?

Cos if you are, I'd go for getting the new amp first

I have a little band with my friend and we have been practicing a lot, we have written a few songs. I'm planning to upgrade both, so any suggestions?
This depends. A new amp can do alot for you and your playing, but it's only worth it if you feel good about your bass.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
If you're in a band I'd definitely go for the amp first
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
If you're in a band I'd definitely go for the amp first

Any certain ones I should look at? I don't really have any experiences with amps.
Quote by CBNJ
Any certain ones I should look at? I don't really have any experiences with amps.

Depends on your price range
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Depends on your price range

How much would a good amp cost, one that would be a good amp for playing whether for practice or a gig?
Quote by CBNJ
How much would a good amp cost, one that would be a good amp for playing whether for practice or a gig?

Well, it won't blow your pocket anyway, the Acoustic B200 are generally recommended here, and you could always have a look at Ashdowns. If you need to gig, you can either line or mic the amp.
If you want to spend a few bucks more, you can probably find a bundle Ashdown MAG300H + 4x10 cab. It will really suffice for band practice, but you really don't want to carry it to a gig. But in most venues, they have amps for you to play on, so that wont be a problem.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Ashdown, Acoustic, and Carvin are great on a budget.
now with extra money, Gallien Krueger, SWR, Markbass, and Ampeg can all be good choices.

but the Acoustic B200, at about 350 bucks, may even leave you enough to upgrade the bass too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
but the Acoustic B200, at about 350 bucks, may even leave you enough to upgrade the bass too.

This does indeed sound like a plan.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Well, it won't blow your pocket anyway, the Acoustic B200 are generally recommended here, and you could always have a look at Ashdowns. If you need to gig, you can either line or mic the amp.
If you want to spend a few bucks more, you can probably find a bundle Ashdown MAG300H + 4x10 cab. It will really suffice for band practice, but you really don't want to carry it to a gig. But in most venues, they have amps for you to play on, so that wont be a problem.

You think they'll have it at Guitar Center to go try it out? Any suggestion on a bass? I like the way Fenders feel.
Quote by CBNJ
You think they'll have it at Guitar Center to go try it out? Any suggestion on a bass? I like the way Fenders feel.

Well, if you like Fenders, check out the Vintage Modified Squiers.
Also, try out some Ibanezes. You can't really go wrong with one.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Well, if you like Fenders, check out the Vintage Modified Squiers.
Also, try out some Ibanezes. You can't really go wrong with one.

Very true, I just bought an Ibanez SR500 and I love it although some would prefer a wider neck.

I also like the vintage modified Squires they sound much better compared to the affinity series.
When you say Fenders do you mean Precisions or Jazzes? They feel very different

The Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Series are great.
Quote by guitarhero_764