Poll: For this poll, a minor = Under 16 years of age
Poll Options
View poll results: For this poll, a minor = Under 16 years of age
An adult having consensual sex with a minor, no matter what age, is okay
16 4%
A young adult having consensual sex with an older minor (eg. 18 and 15 years old) is okay
266 72%
Any adult having consensual sex with any minor is not okay
87 24%
Voters: 369.
Page 1 of 3
Pedophile: An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.
Child molester: Child molestation is a crime involving a range of indecent or sexual activities between an adult and a child, usually under the age of 14.

While reading a NYT article just now it occured to me that the above two terms are all too often equated, and in many people's minds they are the same thing, which despite the idea of pedophilia being 'wrong' and 'disgusting' in most people's minds (mine too, for the record) is not exactly fair. Bearing that in mind, what's your opinion on pedophilia / sex with minors?

My own opinion, for the record, is that you can't really help what you find attractive, but a pedophile acting on his (or her) thoughts is wrong 100%.

Feel free to discuss...

EDIT: Important bit:

What is society's best course of action for adults who have a sexual attraction to minors that they can't simply decide to change?

1) Accept the sexual attraction and legalise consensual sex with minors
2) Accept pedophilia as a fringe sexual fetish but discourage any form of sex with minors
3) Attempt to 'change' pedophiles through any method - hynotising them, religious ideas, whatever
4) Anyone who admits a sexual attraction to children should be imprisoned
Last edited by Jake™ at Dec 28, 2008,
Well....yes that's sort of obvious isn't it? We only hear about the people who haven't sought help.

EDIT: Now my post makes no sense.

I think that you can't judge somebody for their thoughts. That's not the direction I'd like society to take. I know I'm generalising, but a lot of people who have sexual thoughts about children have been through some sort of childhood abuse themselves. If more of an effort was made to educate kids and protect them better against shit like that from happening to them, then maybe less people would grow up to experience paedophilia.

It is retarded in my opinion to just go "OMFG THEY R SICK!!1$%"£!", it's like people's compassion for humanity stops when someone through no fault of their own goes outside the little boundaries we've constructed.

Acting on those sorts of desires is an entirely different issue, imo.
Last edited by rigiddigits at Dec 28, 2008,
Well, whats in supply...
Children

What do they need...
orgasmic experiences...

Do the maths, and you've got an unbeatable method.

Unless you get caught.

Then your really ****ed...
i think its a pretty wide spread belief that having sex with children is bad...
Call me Jack
interesting point, i selected the 2nd option.
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, I'm 19, and would still date/FORNICATE with a...16 year old? I don't know. But I think grown men fucking their 5 year old daughters is disgusting.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by wizards?
Pedophilia=not good

[/thread]

If you think about it, you can't really say that since in older societies, there really wasn't a distinction between adults and minors, pertaining to sex and marriage. Who are we to say what age is appropriate for two potential lovers?
I don't approve of pedophilia because I think it's weird (I don't see how anyone could be attracted to a child), not because I think it's wrong.
What's morally wrong with engaging in sexual activities with a fully developed female? I see nothing. Anything before that is fvcked up.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Edited the original post to include a survey-ish sort of thing, would be interesting to see responses to that.

Quote by soccerdude3465
What's morally wrong with engaging in sexual activities with a fully developed female? I see nothing. Anything before that is fvcked up.

What about a guy?
A young adult having consensual sex with an older minor (eg. 18 and 15 years old) is okay

Idealy Id aim for that.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
i thought pedophilia was being attracted to pre pubescent girls, and in that case i think there is no justifaction in being attracted to a pre pubescent girl, its not even human nature becuase they havent reached sexual maturity, and no adult should ever want to engage in sexual activities. Where I live 16 is the age of consent and i think thats about the right age although i dont beleive 30 year olds should be sleeping with 16 year olds in any case.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
It's really unfortunate that pedophiles are put in the situation where their attraction of preference is in no way consensual. However, because of the circumstances, I guess they just have to deal with it. Molestation in any case is horrible, no matter what age, and in almost all cases (except for like, some Lolita shit) sexual relation with a child is NOT consensual. I don't think you can blame pedophiles for liking children, so long as they don't act upon it.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
It's really unfortunate that pedophiles are put in the situation where their attraction of preference is in no way consensual. However, because of the circumstances, I guess they just have to deal with it. Molestation in any case is horrible, no matter what age, and in almost all cases (except for like, some Lolita shit) sexual relation with a child is NOT consensual. I don't think you can blame pedophiles for liking children, so long as they don't act upon it.

You can't blaim pedophiles for liking children, but they sure as hell arent in full mental health, and should probably recieve help.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

Quote by dannyniceboy
i think there is no justifaction in being attracted to a pre pubescent girl

But it's generally accepted that we can't just change whatever we find attractive - eg, a straight guy can't turn gay, a gay male can't turn straight, a foot-fetishist can't turn into a not-foot-fetishist.

Quote by JDawg
Hang em'. No ****ing joke either.

See above.
Quote by dannyniceboy
You can't blaim pedophiles for liking children, but they sure as hell arent in full mental health, and should probably recieve help.

I wouldn't call it being mentally impaired. That would be like calling homosexuals mental. The only difference is that one is generally consensual and the other one isnt. Sexuality is a very complex thing that you can't really change by choice; I'm sure it's not by will that people are pedophiles.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I dont think the middle one is that bad.

but yeah its weird a 40 year old man with a 15 year old girl, saying they're "in love" is bull**** imo.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by vintage x metal
I wouldn't call it being mentally impaired. That would be like calling homosexuals mental. The only difference is that one is generally consensual and the other one isnt. Sexuality is a very complex thing that you can't really change by choice; I'm sure it's not by will that people are pedophiles.

It is against human nature to want to mate with pre pubescent girls and it is completly a mental disfunction. You don't see lions mounting lion cubs or any other forms of mammals engaging in sex with mammals who havent reached sexual maturity. Being a pedophile and being gay are two completly different things.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Quote by dannyniceboy
It is against human nature to want to mate with pre pubescent girls and it is completly a mental disfunction. You don't see lions mounting lion cubs or any other forms of mammals engaging in sex with mammals who havent reached sexual maturity. Being a pedophile and being gay are two completly different things.

It's technically against human nature to engage in homosexuality too; it's against the idea of reproduction. It's also somewhat similar to fetishes; there is nothing in human nature that predisposes having an attraction to feet or to giants or the like. Anyway, you can't just change someone's sexual preferences. Sure, in the case of pedophilia it is very unfortunate, but it's not wrong if it is left unpursued.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Ichikurosaki
Children, relatives.. animals.. aslong as its consensual it's fine in my books.

So as long as they groom them well enough, its OK?

Get a clue mate. Consent means **** all. See "normal" adult rape cases. Alot of the trouble from these cases comes from "consent."
Quote by dannyniceboy

And how is it not against 'human nature' to mate with people of the same sex as you?
i feel that if it is consensual, who am i to judge?

i wouldn't be comfortable having sex with a 16 year old if i was 40, but if someone is, and the younger person agrees to it, why should i stop them?
Quote by vintage x metal
It's technically against human nature to engage in homosexuality too; it's against the idea of reproduction. It's also somewhat similar to fetishes; there is nothing in human nature that predisposes having an attraction to feet or to giants or the like. Anyway, you can't just change someone's sexual preferences. Sure, in the case of pedophilia it is very unfortunate, but it's not wrong if it is left unpursued.

I think it IS a fetish, no?
Quote by LordBishek

+1, and fetishes shouldn't be thought as 'mental disfunctions'
It's wrong for adults to have sex with minors, regardless of the exact ages.

Paedophiles should be taught to control their impulses. If they act on them, they should be punished.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by LordBishek

Possibly; I don't know what I'd classify it as, nor do I think it's really important. It is what it is.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by DanRev
So as long as they groom them well enough, its OK?

Get a clue mate. Consent means **** all. See "normal" adult rape cases. Alot of the trouble from these cases comes from "consent."

no u.
Think i give a damn about rape cases? If it's consent, it's not rape.

Quote by daytripper75
i feel that if it is consensual, who am i to judge?

i wouldn't be comfortable having sex with a 16 year old if i was 40, but if someone is, and the younger person agrees to it, why should i stop them?

/thread
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I voted the middle option because I believe that there needs to be a change in the laws. An18 year old should not be charged with any crime for having sex with a 17 year old. It's stupid. There needs to be some revision that brackets the ages.

I believe there is a 2 year buffer, so an 18 year old could be with a 16 year old; at least in Maryland.
Quote by vintage x metal
Possibly; I don't know what I'd classify it as, nor do I think it's really important. It is what it is.

More and more, my experiences and conversations with other people about the subject are shaping a sort of model in my mind. Basically, this model says that ALL our likes and dislikes regarding sex are individual spectra.

For example, gay and straight are opposite ends of a spectrum, with bisexual in the middle, and everyone lies somewhere along this line. Most people cluster toward the ends, but I don't think it's as simple as "gay", "straight", "bisexual". I think there are degrees of freedom. The same can be applied to any other characteristic of sexuality - a preference for blondes, or a liking of feet, etc.

A further point is that these positions have a varying degree of flexibility. For example, I am unlikely to change my sexual preference to liking men, but I may be considerably more flexible when looking at things like hair colour.

I think paedophilia and fetishes are just other spectra.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Think i give a damn about rape cases? If it's consent, it's not rape.

How do you prove consent? People dont write letters before they have sex saying "I fancy the arse off this guy, even if I find him repulsive in the morning and say he raped me, ignore it because I'm actually lying."

Consent can be worked around. If a 35 year old male manages to groom a 13 year old girl into "loving" him via trickery, is that consent?
Quote by LordBishek
More and more, my experiences and conversations with other people about the subject are shaping a sort of model in my mind. Basically, this model says that ALL our likes and dislikes regarding sex are individual spectra.

For example, gay and straight are opposite ends of a spectrum, with bisexual in the middle, and everyone lies somewhere along this line. Most people cluster toward the ends, but I don't think it's as simple as "gay", "straight", "bisexual". I think there are degrees of freedom. The same can be applied to any other characteristic of sexuality - a preference for blondes, or a liking of feet, etc.

A further point is that these positions have a varying degree of flexibility. For example, I am unlikely to change my sexual preference to liking men, but I may be considerably more flexible when looking at things like hair colour.

I think paedophilia and fetishes are just other spectra.

Nah, I completely agree with you on that one. What I meant is actualyl very similar to what you're saying; I don't think that the 'label' of certain preferences really matter because every person can be attracted to something and it really doesn't matter what you call it. A person will like whatever they like. It's like when people try to judge whether or not bisexuality exists. Well, I like guys, and I like girls, and I exist; that's really enough proof.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Damn. In the old days, I thought this was called "getting lucky".

EDIT: Attractiveness to younger people is natural. Of course a 40 year old is going to get hard looking at a 17 year old in a mini-skirt. But if there was an 18 year old with a 15 year old, who I I knew, I would kick his ass for trying to manipulate someone so vulnerable into having sex when they aren't ready.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Last edited by Aaron0612 at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by DanRev
If a 35 year old male manages to groom a 13 year old girl into "loving" him via trickery, is that consent?

Yes it is.
If she happily agrees to it after being tricked, that's her own fault for not seeing it coming, should of been smarter than to listen to the words of an old man.
Quote by vintage x metal
Nah, I completely agree with you on that one. What I meant is actualyl very similar to what you're saying; I don't think that the 'label' of certain preferences really matter because every person can be attracted to something and it really doesn't matter what you call it. A person will like whatever they like. It's like when people try to judge whether or not bisexuality exists. Well, I like guys, and I like girls, and I exist; that's really enough proof.

Damn straight*