Title says it all... I need a crunchy neck pick up from my sg. Ive got an angus signature in the bridge and need something to match it. I play van halen, zepplin, ozzy, ratt just really about anything in the 70's or 80's. Any help would be appreciated
Look at some PAF style and t-top style winds.

also, what guitar does this go into?
what about his signiture neck pickup?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Angus doesnt have one im pretty sure its a 57 I just wanted to know if theres something better...
If you want an Angus Young kind of sound, you'd probably be best off with a t-top style pickup. Though I don't really think Angus used his neck pickup much... Jimmy Page used this pickup as well after 1972, so any sounds you hear off Physical Graffiti or live performances 1973 on were all t-top tones. EVH used PAF style pickups, and I don't know about the rest, I have no clue what was in Randy Rhoads guitars, but I imagine a PAF style pickup in the neck.

I'd probably say some sort of PAF copy would be your best bet. Just about every pickup maker has one.
^ that's what i'd have thought. EDIT: what do you have in there already? it's probably not a million miles away from what you need already. i wouldn't rush into a pickup swap, in other words...

what's a t-top pickup? never heard of those before...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The t-top was Gibson's "second" pickup, I think they came out sometime around the mid 60s, but they're pretty cool. They're not wound as hot as PAFs so they're cleaner and have a brighter, more single coil-like character. Take a listen to Jimmy Page's tone on "How the West was Won" and then "The Song Remains the Same" to hear the difference between his PAF and t-top tone.

Blackice87, if you can afford Gibson pickups, you could probably afford to put the money towards something handwound...
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 28, 2008,
yeah whats a t top i have not heard of one either and the stock is a 490 t and its horribly muddy...
Well I doubt you'll be able to find an authentic t-top in your budget. They don't command the same price as authentic PAFs but they're still overpriced in the collector's market.

Take a look at WCR, I've been talking a lot about these pickups lately, but they have a pickup called the Fillmore which does the 70s hard rock thing very well.
I saw a pickup on ebay called an erupter it was made to get eddys 78 79 tone. I might be able to get it in neck form for like 80 bucks with cover and its hand wound. Would this be a good deal?
Yeah, GF pickups are supposedly pretty good, a few guys on the LPF really like them. I've never tried them, there are clips of them, along with WCRs, WBs, Skatterbranes, a lot of those custom winders on the LPF tone testing thread. I can pm you the link (I can't link to other forums)
Quote by al112987
The t-top was Gibson's "second" pickup, I think they came out sometime around the mid 60s, but they're pretty cool. They're not wound as hot as PAFs so they're cleaner and have a brighter, more single coil-like character. Take a listen to Jimmy Page's tone on "How the West was Won" and then "The Song Remains the Same" to hear the difference between his PAF and t-top tone.

Blackice87, if you can afford Gibson pickups, you could probably afford to put the money towards something handwound...

oh ok, thanks

agreed about going handwound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BlackIce, I sent you the link, keep in mind that there are bunch of these guys who handwind custom pickups. They're all quite friendly I've emailed a few of them before to talk tone, if you have something particular in mind, your best bet is to talk to one of them about it.
Quote by al112987

Actually HTWWW was a T-Top as well. He replaced the broken bridge PAF shortly after February 1972. The T-Top was in place for the start of June 1972 American tour; the two HTWWW performances are from June 25th and June 27th. His neck remained a PAF as well, still is to this day.
Wait really? The two sound quite different to me (the tone on HTWWW compared to TSRTS). Wonder if there were other equipment changes around then.
Other than switching Echoplex models, nothing visually changed between '72 and '73. I agree they sound completely different, this is why so many think amps mods possibly happened in '73.