Page 1 of 2
i am looking for a new pickup to put in my bridge position and i have narrowed it down to these two. im looking for mainly metal and i like alot of response for pinch harmonics. im not too worried about cleans because im gettin an alnico 2 pro for the neck. btw my guitar is an epi les paul custom plus vintage sunburst. i really wanna emphasize that i want pinches to scream and that i can do them pretty much every time on all but the A and high e strings.
Those are seymour duncans two worst pickups, the dimebucker being far worse than the invader.

I would go with some dimarzios or if your on a budget rockfield pickups.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
what's your budget, and what's your amp? i'd agree that the dimebucker and invader are decidedly mediocre (and by mediocre, i mean crap).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the dimebucker is slightly higher output,
and has more treble response,
people hate on them but i like dimebuckers
theyre nice

then again , I hate dimarzios, which half this baord seems to worship
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
The Dimebucker is supposed to have more Treble bite and clarity according to sSeymour Duncan.

Both are high output.
The invader is muddy and beefy, the dimebucker is scooped and "whiney" sounding IMO.

If you want a dime sound, look for an L500XL or similair, quite nice PUs.
actually ive used dimebuckers/invaders on a few differrent guitars and it good for what he needs
I agree they are high output but really trebley and icepicky for my taste, especially the dimebucker.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I've got a dimebucker bridge position.. wouldn't recommend it - it's great for a sort of Kill em All early metallica tone, but honestly I rarely switch it off of my neck pickup - a dean dimetime, which is amazing
i suggest you to buy a white invader pickup. blink 182 guitarist Tom delonge used that for about 4-5 years.they are really high outputted and trebled pickups.

also i'm not sure but metallica may used invader on their guitars.

so it's better to get an invader...
Quote by banshee8831
i suggest you to buy a white invader pickup. blink 182 guitarist Tom delonge used that for about 4-5 years.they are really high outputted and trebled pickups.

Every guitar I've ever seen James or Kirk use has had EMG's in them.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Every guitar I've ever seen James or Kirk use has had EMG's in them.

I'll +1 that
Quote by guitardude34875
I've got a dimebucker, and it tweaks my tone into a shape that I tend to favor normally and it sounds very aggressive. Anyone who hates the pick-ups probably just doesn't like people trying to "sound like Dimebag", or is just passing on negative reviews they've heard from OTHER people. I'm pretty sure their website has mp3's and suggestions of the pick-ups.
Quote by Guitar Skater
the invader is my pickup of choice i have 4 of them

i swear by it

Well if Guitar Skater likes them, I like them. Because he is amazing

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by banshee8831

I'm not bashing Blink 182, I actually kind of like them but the day I start using Tom Delonge as any kind of standard for good tone, I think that will be the day I put down the guitar to instead play in a professional cornhole league.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by al112987
I'm not bashing Blink 182, I actually kind of like them but the day I start using Tom Delonge as any kind of standard for good tone, I think that will be the day I put down the guitar.

+1

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by al112987
I'm not bashing Blink 182, I actually kind of like them but the day I start using Tom Delonge as any kind of standard for good tone, I think that will be the day I put down the guitar to instead play in a professional cornhole league.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Most people bash the Invader without even hearing one. I have one and it works great in bright toned guitars - because they are not high in treble at all - like someone above said. They are high output and high in bass and mid range. In a warm guitar like a Les Paul, there's not going to be enough highs - this is where the claim that they are muddy comes from. Using them in the wrong kind of guitar.
I'd ditch both those options and get either a Duncan Distortion or JB.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
ok my amp is a peavey valveking 112 and i use a boss mt-2 for my metal but i really want to give my les paul a good screaming pickup for good pinches. can you recomend some in the same price range that would suit my guitar?
what country are you in? that'll affect the budget etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GoDrex
Most people bash the Invader without even hearing one. I have one and it works great in bright toned guitars - because they are not high in treble at all - like someone above said. They are high output and high in bass and mid range. In a warm guitar like a Les Paul, there's not going to be enough highs - this is where the claim that they are muddy comes from. Using them in the wrong kind of guitar.

Your probably right, I've only ever heard clips of an invader, it could have just been the guys amp settings. I have played a razorback with a dimebucker in it before though and I didn't like it all.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
im in canada. like i have said i just want really nice squealy pinches. how high output is the JB (thats the sh-4 right?) and are the sh-6's good for my les paul? how about the sh-15 with alnico 8 magnets?
Last edited by dpounder at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by dpounder
im in canada. like i have said i just want really nice squealy pinches. how high output is the JB (thats the sh-4 right?) and are the sh-6's good for my les paul?

JB is fairly high output but has a really nice tone. If you can't get nice squealies with them you have a technique problem.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
JB is fairly high output but has a really nice tone. If you can't get nice squealies with them you have a technique problem.

Not in a les paul imo. I have a JB in mine and it sounds a little shrill and the low end is a little flubby.
Quote by al112987
Not in a les paul imo. I have a JB in mine and it sounds a little shrill and the low end is a little flubby.

I've only ever played JB's in a Dinky and a RR3. Completely different from a Les Paul so they tone could really vary.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
ok i have now heard that the sh-10 full shred is good for what i need. what are your opinions on this?
Quote by dpounder
ok i have now heard that the sh-10 full shred is good for what i need. what are your opinions on this?

It's good, just lower output than your original options
Quote by guitardude34875
Dimarzio X2N
Dimarzio D'activatorX
Bill Lawrence XL500
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
i have looked around and listened to these in les pauls now in videos and i think il go to the store and come out with a duncan distortion or an invader because i have heard elsewhere that invaders sound pretty good in les pauls. if i can i will listen to one at the shop if not il talk to them. thanks for all the comments and help.
Check out Dimarzio Drop Sonic's too. Amazing for metal.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by dpounder
i have looked around and listened to these in les pauls now in videos and i think il go to the store and come out with a duncan distortion or an invader because i have heard elsewhere that invaders sound pretty good in les pauls. if i can i will listen to one at the shop if not il talk to them. thanks for all the comments and help.

There is a great chance that the invader will sound extremely muddy in the les paul. Actually, I'd put money on it. Especially if your les paul has any weight.

This is just me personally, but I would not really put passive high output humbuckers into a les paul and expect a lot of clarity. High output humbuckers really hit the front end of your amp harder so you get more gain, but you're losing things like clarity, high end detail, dynamics and touch sensitivity. I know you want to get pinch harmonics but if you can't get them with the pickups you have now on certain strings, it's because of your technique, not because you need more gain. I can pull off pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar and I have no problem getting ringing and sustaining harmonics with the lower output pickups in my own guitar.

edit: http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

That would be helpful for you to look at. The Invader has a huge high end roll off and huge mids. I don't know what kind of guitar player you are or your habits but I can pretty much assure you that that middle position on your les paul (where both pickups are active) will be practically unusable.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 29, 2008,
i can get pinches to ring out quite well on all strings except high e and b with my amp. with my tock pickups and valveking and mt-2 combo the pinches just dont seem to come out too well so i thought a higher output pickup would be the way to go. and im not worryin about too high because for other stuff like cleans and that creamy slash tone im gettin an alnico 2 pro in the neck position. i just need to decide whether the sh-6 or the invader would suit my purpose better. im thinking sh-6 would work better in my les paul. btw it is not nearly as heavy as a vintage gibson and i have felt them. edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LGaK4zP4Gw&feature=channel duncan sh-8 invaders in a epiphone les paul. i think they sound pretty good. whats ur opinion on that tone and will that compare to what i would get in my custom plus?
Last edited by dpounder at Dec 29, 2008,
No what I'm saying is that a les paul with an invader is going to be muddy because you're going to get so much high end roll off and boosted mids and lows that you're going to lose a lot of clarity. Especially in an already dark sounding les paul custom which doesn't have a maple cap. Since when did you only need high end for cleans? It's not about playing cleans or anything, it's about having articulation and clarity and not ending up with a muddy mess. Whether clean or overdriven.

Second, vintage Gibsons aren't heavy guitars, at the ones that most people think of what you say "vintage Gibson les paul" (meaning a burst or goldtop)
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 29, 2008,
Page 1 of 2