Let me start by saying that for years I have played with my wrist/arm resting on the bridge. This allows me to pick with my wrist instead of my elbow. I am now trying to learn with my arm "floating", but have some difficulty picking without using my elbow. It seems like my body forces me to use my elbow, and I can't play fast at all using my wrist. Any advice for learning using my wrist while having my picking arm floating? I want to eventually be able to play things like Al Di Meola does and other fast guitarists. Thanks.
Start slow and work on dividing your wrist and elbow movements, if you go slow enough you should have no trouble switching between them. Remember you'll want to use your elbow to change strings.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
^ awesome vid, i second it as i didn't really ever realize it but i do the same thing quite often when im playing (but not technically proficient as our good friend Al) and you can add alot to a song by "going against the rhythm"
How long have you been unanchored? Is your elbow tense?

One thing to realise is that you will probably be slower for a long time, until you learn to keep your arm relaxed and controlled. You're learning to control the muscles in your arm properly for the first time (if you were anchoring firmly) and you will have to gradually build your speed up again. Intricate, fast wrist movements just take a lot of practice.
Hey, that guy Ney Mello teaches about 30 minutes from my house. I might email him to see when he gets some open lesson times and go work with him. I think that would be a great experience. Thanks guys. And i've only been unanchored for a week or two, I could always play santana, clapton, and other faster soulful music while resting my hand on the bridge. Now I want to be able to play some Al Di Meola and other artists like him, and I have come to the conclusion that I really need to work at it (go figure).
Hmm, I can play normally if i have my arm floating above the strings, like i can pick pretty quick, but i don't really see the point in it, since i palm mute A LOT, so i have my arm resting on the guitar/strings for pal mute's.

I've been playin for under 4 years or so, and i've never encountered pains with picking.

I think anchoring is a conspiracy.

EDIT: Just looking at the Anchoring thread, i have concluded it is a conspiracy.
Quote by steeLmonkeyz

EDIT: Just looking at the Anchoring thread, i have concluded it is a conspiracy.

Then you've looked without much understanding. Muting is a necessary technique
and has nothing to do with anchoring. Anchoring is directly related to lack of arm
control. That's the only real issue with it. Without arm control, the alternative is
to stabilize the hand on the guitar and that effectively limits your motion for
certain TYPES of motions. You might not feel limited because you have explored
those kinds of motions, If you don't feel a need to, maybe don't worry about it then.
I understand the concept of touching a guitar whilst playing. When i mute, i rest my Karate chop hand part on the strings, further up from the bridge. Pretty much on the bridge. Also, i know for a lot of my playing, im muting. Muting unwanted strings etc. So if i mute 90% of the time, does that mean im anchoring?

Like i said, i can play with my hand not even touching the guitar. But if anchoring is keeping your hand fixed on the guitar, then what?

Im not sure if i keep my hand fixed in the exact same position on the strings (I sincerely doubt it, since some strings dont necessarily need muting all the time).

Maybe what im doing you wouldn't call anchoring, but it seems to be a major issue with practically everyone on this board, so im just a little curious/worried.
Im not sure if i keep my hand fixed in the exact same position on the strings (I sincerely doubt it, since some strings dont necessarily need muting all the time).

Well, if you were sure you could answer your question. It's also a matter of how much pressure you exert on the guitar. If it's no pressure at all, it doesn't really matter. If it's lots of pressure, then it's extremely bad.
Quote by Freepower
Well, if you were sure you could answer your question. It's also a matter of how much pressure you exert on the guitar. If it's no pressure at all, it doesn't really matter. If it's lots of pressure, then it's extremely bad.

So merely resting an arm on the guitar body lightly isn't necessarily anchoring?
The most common thread regarding anchoring is "Am I anchoring?" -

this can be solved very quickly, without irritating anyone. Is there a part of your hand has to touch the guitar in a certain way for you to be able to play well? If so, you are ANCHORING. It's not anything more or less than that.

My arm touches the guitar! - That's okay.
I palm mute! - That's okay.
I mute unwanted strings with my palm! - That's okay.

As long as you don't need to keep your hand touching the same place at all times in order to play.

From the sticky. Just take the questions completely literally and answer them honestly.
Well the reason I am "relearning" to play with my hand off the bridge is because I am getting into much more advanced stuff, and need to make my hand free in order to play it clean, fast, and make it sound good. As I mentioned, I am getting into more of the Di Meola, Andreas Oberg, Daryl Darden, etc style. In order to play jazz, and some other rock, you need to be able to play fast, but not just fast, it needs to be tasteful. Thanks for the tips guys, and happy new year.