What are all the things I need for recording? Preferrably cheap, but it needs to be able to make decent quality recordings. I'm new to all of this, so I have no idea whats what. Thanks!
It can be as cheap as plugging a guitar straight into the mic input of a computer, but that would come out with terrible audio quality and possible syncing issues.
Um, I'd like to try and stay below $500, but if that won't get me anything that can get decent quality recordings I guess I would go higher. So whatever I need to spend for decent quality I guess.
well the guy who i go to to record charges 35 an hour
and in total i think everything for recording he has is well over 10,000
sounds decent
still haven't gotten the recordings mixed so we have yet to see how that will sound
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
get a high quality condenser mic and as long as you position the mic right you can get a decent recording out of it
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by Wedgehead
Um, I'd like to try and stay below $500, but if that won't get me anything that can get decent quality recordings I guess I would go higher. So whatever I need to spend for decent quality I guess.

If you're recording a lot of electric guitar, you need a Shure SM57. It's fairly cheap, tough as nails, lasts forever, and sounds great.
If you have a good computer, buy a digital audio workstation like Sonar or Nuendo. However, unless you download it, that's going to run you about $300 minimum. My advice to you is to buy a nice digital 4 tracks, buy a couple of mics (aside from the SM57, somebody mentioned getting a nice condenser which is good for acoustic guitars and vocals). There's a few 4 tracks with built in DI's, which you can use to record bass. As for drums, you really are not going to get a great drum sound with your budget. So what I would do is just buy a second SM57, set both of them up above the drum kit, move em around until you get a decent sound, and record like that. You don't have the budget for all the mics you're goin to need.

On the flip side, you can go to somebody's basement studio and negotiate something for $500 bucks. Some guys will charge by the song, and if they're just starting out you can get it for pretty cheap. Might be a wiser choice considering you budget.