So I have been using DR high beams lately and decided to try Rotosounds since so many UGers sing their praises. Bought two sets and put them on my 91 mij ibanez and my schecter studio 4. I hated them. The tone was ridiculously bright. I was annoyed because I'd just spent so much money on two sets and then hated them. I had to finish out practice with them and after they mellowed out a bit, after about 3 hours of playing, I started to really love them. Made my schecter sound clearer and punchier than ever. With the DR's I couldn't get rid of some of the mud in my tone that I assumed was coming from the humbuckers so i used the ibanez. I still love the ibanez but the schecter is now my main bass again.

I just thought I'd thank the UGers here for saving my schecter. Feel free to share similiar stories here.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Yeah they're quite guitary when they're fresh, and I can see that bothering some people. I change my strings every 3 months or so (yeesh) and I believe that they never trully go dead.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
@grifff
Maybe after 6 years of very hard, regular play you'll see some signs of corrosion on your frets. Theres nothing to worry about, if there was, they wouldnt be one of the best and most well known string manufacturers
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
@grifff
Maybe after 6 years of very hard, regular play you'll see some signs of corrosion on your frets. Theres nothing to worry about, if there was, they wouldnt be one of the best and most well known string manufacturers

I have a vague memory of my local dealer actually carrying some rotos. I'm going there tomorrow anyway to get my crappy LTD sorted out, I might aswell get a pack.
But their gauges are so odd. The 040s are medium in Rotos, whilst they are super light according to D'addario.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Really? I thought gauges were universal?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Really? I thought gauges were universal?

Yeah, I guess they still are. Just Rotosounds categorization I think.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
^Well, .45 is .45 is .45, but some manufacturers label the gauge as different.. .105-.45 is standard gauge usually but some have a .100 E string instead etc.

Anyway, I do love Rotosounds, but I swear to god Flatwounds are the best thing ever invented. Oddly enough, I love the Jaco sound I can get from an active bass with frets and flatwounds. Almost the complete antithesis of Jaco.
Rotos are my near second favourites to Elites. I still swear by Roto flatwounds on my fretless. But honestly for roundwounds, I'm an Elite fan for life.
Quote by anarkee
Rotos are my near second favourites to Elites. I still swear by Roto flatwounds on my fretless. But honestly for roundwounds, I'm an Elite fan for life.

I haven't tried rotos before, what differences are their between them and elites(what I play at the moment)
Quote by guitarhero_764

Elites sound a bit more round and warmer than rotos, but they are close. To me Elites are improved and longer lasting Rotos. Does that make sense?
Quote by anarkee
Elites sound a bit more round and warmer than rotos, but they are close. To me Elites are improved and longer lasting Rotos. Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense.

I'm thinking of trying Rotos next time
Quote by guitarhero_764

I Play alot of motley Crue, metallica, RATM, Ramones, Pantera, just a mix of everything. I Love the hated bass boomers, with a passion. They are the only string i use, should i try rotos ir stick with what i like?
Quote by anarkee

Elites
Quote by Miss G
Elites

You can order them online now and have them shipped in a week. PM me if you want more info.
hmm. I rather like DR on my Schecter, switched to it from Roto.

right now I'm using Ernie Ball, they were having a crazy deal on them.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom