Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new amp, i've owned my Laney VC-15 for around a year and am looking to upgrade. I play mainly metal and use a MT-2 for my distortion or the amp cranked for a lighter metal/classic rock tone tone.

I use an Ibanez RG1570 prestige guitar.

I play in a band and play small gigs so I require something with more oomph and clean headroom than my VC-15. I am think closer to 50w maybe or maybe a 100w.

Also, I would like an amp that will prduce heavy-metal esq distortion on its own (or with overdrive pedal).

I am prepared to pay no more than £400, I am prepared to buy used.

My inital ideas were a JCM 900 50/100W or a used ENGL.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Ibanez RG1570
Laney VC15
Boss CH-1 MT-2 EQ-7 CS-3 NS-2
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol
that's what i thought (i haven't tried a jcm900 though).

what type of metal tone are you after?

assuming you're going used, other options would be laney tt50c, peavey xxx/5150/6505 combos, marshall jvm, maybe even a kustom coupe combo. probably some others which i'm forgetting too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play metal lead guitar mostly, think Children of Bodom/Twilightning/Dream Theatre lead, so nothing extreme like grindcore or w/e I need a pretty clear lead distortion tone.
Ibanez RG1570
Laney VC15
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol
ok, thanks. i'm guessing any of those (including the engl you originally mentioned, i'm guessing you mean the screamer) would do that, more or less, it's just a matter of trying as many of those as you can to see which you like the best.

as i said, i haven't tried the marshall, try one of those too as it might do what you want as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi, thanks for the suggestions, however I have been told the Line 6 Spider Valve is worth considering, and then, by somebody else I am told it's rubbish.

Can someody clarify this please, I tried one in a shop today. The distortion sounded good but the clean sounded rather generic, and why modelling on a valve amp?

Thanks.
Ibanez RG1570
Laney VC15
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol
Used ENGL screamer, they go for around £420/450, slightly extend your budget
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Sammydemon
Hi, thanks for the suggestions, however I have been told the Line 6 Spider Valve is worth considering, and then, by somebody else I am told it's rubbish.

Can someody clarify this please, I tried one in a shop today. The distortion sounded good but the clean sounded rather generic, and why modelling on a valve amp?

Thanks.

i thought the opposite, i thought the high gain on the spider valve sounded very artificial, while the lower gain tones sounded more tubey...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Youre right, they do sound artificial, but its not necessarily bad. The tubes do warm up the distortion rather a lot and Line 6 are known for their effects. The distortion is very think and creamy and is far better than the MT-2 that I am used to.

I could also pick up a used Spider Valve pretty cheap.
Ibanez RG1570
Laney VC15
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol