what are the signs of bad/failing pick ups? i know there are active and passive, is either prone to failure?

i ask because i just got a used mexican strat and while it sounded good last night through some headphones, today when i play through my amp it sounds as if the volume is rising and falling.

i've got it plugged into a line6 jm4 looper that is plugged into my amp, a Marshall AVT50. i'm by no means able to play it up to full speed but i've been practicing the tapping part of the eruption solo and while it seems to sound fine through the headphones it's like at random parts while practicing it the sound will get dull and quiet, almost as if the volume is being turned down a noticeable bit then BOOM it will be back to the proper level.

i can swap my new mim strat with my gibson les paul and play it the same way and it doesn't do that - there's a slight rise and fall in the sound due to the preset i'm using on the JM4 but what i'm experiencing while using the strat is something entirely different.
it happens..

well.. i also have a strat.. and it's not really the guitar.. i checked the induction in the coils with an ohmmeter all was fine..

i dunno what happened..

it was a long time ago.. i only moved the cables a bit used locktight on them .. and disconected everything ..

the next day all was fine =D .. any pedals? bad cables? volume knob turned almost all the way down?
took the pickguard off last night after i got it and the wires looked ok, i suppose i could do it again tho.

as far as i know the cables are fine. i can unplug my strat and then plug my les paul in and i dont hear it happening. switch axes again and it starts.

not using any pedals unless you count the jm4 looper as a pedal, but thats it. guitar ----> looper ----> amp

adjusting the volume didn't help either.

last night it was too late to raise hell with the amp so i was using headphones, today when i turned my amp on i unplugged my headphones and the volume on the guitar was at 10 and it was really close to the amp and i thought it would pop my ear drums, there was a super loud high pitch noise that came out. moved the guitar across the room and it still did it so i turned the volume down on it and then it quit. could that be related to it?
actually after spending some more time with it again it just seems that the notes dont ring out as clear on it through the amp as they do through the headphones.

it becomes very noticeable the closer i get to the body (at least it is while tapping). i actually noticed this last night using the headphones but it just wasn't as pronounced coming through the headphones as it is through the amp and i figured it was just me not hitting the strings hard enough but now i see it's not me.

is this just a problem with the action maybe? i really dont know how to change the action on this thing. i couldn't even get it to tune after i changed the strings until i tightened up the screws that the tremolo springs attach to. this is my first strat, anyone have any links to adjusting the action for new owner?
after adjusting the action on it it just seems i'm having some dead note problems. the higher you go up the next the less they ring out. i had the action so low at one point that a few of the frets didn't make noise at all.

the frets do have some wear on it, any ideas what a fret job would cost?
1. guitars and effect, sound better thru (any kind of quality) headphones, has to do with the speakers being at your ears.

2. that high pitched tone at high volumes, when you face the amp is feedback. normal.

3. raise the strings at the saddles. and single frets are about $20 or less to pull out.
less if you just need them redressed (polished, finished)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ya know i wondered how it was those 3 dollar headphones i got sounded decent....

i think maybe that's just how it was playing to start with and i just didn't notice it. i'm not sure the frets need replacing but if it would only cost me 20 - 30 bucks i could do that. i want to replace the pick ups in it anyway.

i did raise the action back up, in fact for shiggles i raised that string as high as it would go to see if the notes were still not ringing loudly at those frets and it still seemed to do it.

p.s. - thank you ma'am, i forgot to say that
depends how many frets, and how badly the frets are dented.

maybe you can get an estimate.

you're welcome, and good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Bad pickups= ****ty tone.

Failing pickups= cutting out.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I lul you're pokemon knowledge, sir.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

haha, it's ma'am.

and cody, usually it's not the pickups that are technically failing.
most often it's a wire connection to a switch, jack or similar. it's very rare that a pickup will fry, and very very rare that more than one pup will fail at once, without some sort of incident.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62