Hey all iv been playing electric for 2 years and recently purcashed an acoustic, its made by encore and i have been having trouble with barre chords. Basiclly being able to hold them down strong enough. Any tips?
Get a stress ball and squeeze the hell outta it everywhere you go. That helped me when I was learning barre chords.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

just like put your finger knuckle right at the bottom of the neck and keep pushing

PSN: reldask
Check hand position. Put your thumb on the back center of the neck, instead of resting the guitar in the web between your thumb and index finger. More leverage
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Well, you're used to playing on thin little electric strings. It is MUCH harder to play barre chords on acoustic.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Try positioning your index finger differently and utilize your thumb to apply pressure on the back.
It is definitely harder to play barre chords on an acoustic guitar opposed to an electric guitar. This is mainly just because the strings are a heavier gauge typically on an acoustic guitar. One thing you might want to consider is having your guitar set up. New acoustic guitars typically need a setup. This will adjust action, neck relief, and intonation. Having your action and neck relief set correctly will make barre chords much easier for you. If you don't have the money or don't want to invest the money to get your guitar set up, you can always have a go at doing it yourself. It's really not that hard and as long as you are careful, it's not very likely that you will mess anything up. Check out http://www.frets.com for some great articles on adjusting your action.
Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Umm... I think I've made my point.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by LookAlive
Try positioning your index finger differently and utilize your thumb to apply pressure on the back.

Yea, dude I was having the same problem. I was electric and now to acoustic. When you do the barr chord, look at your index finger. Make sure it's completely parallel with the fret thingy.
Well i've been playing acoustic for about a year now and only recently had my first shot of an electric and i could not believe how easy it was to press down the strings. It wasn't for me though i just love the acoustic but...

I spent many weeks and months, and much swearing, before i could play a barre chord on acoustic and still cant change very quickly into them.

But as was said above, and advice i am still excercising, practice practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
To follow the trend....

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, makes perfect.

Seriously, I started playing a year and a half ago and I'm just now starting to get barre chords down to the point that I can play them in songs. In fact, switching between open chords and barre chords is still absolutely killing me.

You know, it probably would have helped if I started practicing barre chords when I started, rather than a couple months ago.....
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Do a barre, pluck each string individually, and repeat. You learn to make every string ring out correctly. But yes... practice a lot, you need to develop the muscles in your hand. It wont be in one day though. You could start with learning it on an electric. You get results a little quicker and still start to develop muscle.
A good set up and alot of practice. Especially on the first fret barre chords
Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus
Breedlove Atlas Stage J350/EF
Yamaha F335
Alvarez Md 60
Gibson les paul
Fender twin reverb
Genz Benz 150LT.
Egnater Rebel 30 1 x 12
The guitar must be set up well. That means the proper

1) nut
2) saddle
3) relief

I've got my acoustics set up with low action, but I have one of them set up with super low action. That means it plays very easily, but it will buzz if I play it hard.

Find the sweet spot that suits you!
If the action's a bit rubbish like (No offense) it may well be on an encore it's going to make it harder
Buy a new guitar , Encore is a brand name for Reghin , it's the only guitar maker here in Romania , and boy do they suck.
The old 60`s guitars are incredibly good , though the Encore series is really low end.

That may be a big factor in your problem.
Last edited by Kroaton at Jun 20, 2010,
you could try keepping your thumb in the middle of the neck and parralell to your index finger or barre finger and what flipp33 said about a setup but dont give up!!
I can play them fairly easy, but since i only use two fingers i can NEVER make the high E ring out when say playing a movable Bb with the 1st fret 5th string root...

but.. does it REALLY matter? lol

the thing i don't get is my thumb starts hurting bad after like half an hour of playing... but i don't notice during performances... heheh.... but even after a year of playing bar chords on some cheapo high action acoustics, my thumb always aches after awhile.... (even on the 1500$ perfectly set up alvarez i use live)