Okay, I like using Guitar Pro to write music, and I use the realistic sound thingy most of the time, but instruments like the piano sound rather fake compared to the RES instruments. Does anyone know how I can improve the sound of MIDI sounds for guitar pro?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by boreamor
You'd need a proper MIDI program like Reason, or GarageBand. On all of my MIDI work on my profile I'm using MIDI samples on Logic Pro, alot are garage band.

Assuming I had one of those programs, would the sound in Guitar Pro be improved too?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
If you want realistic drums you could export your midi track to another program and change it to real sounding drums using EZdrummer and VSTi plugins.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Assuming I had one of those programs, would the sound in Guitar Pro be improved too?

What you'd have to do is export the GP file as a MIDI file and import it into that program.

What I did is this:

Notation would be played via a garageband instrument, e.g. Clean Guitar.
I'd then run that through a MIDI FX process called "Guitar Amp Pro".
And that gave me the distortion on the guitar on my MIDI work.

Garageband Piano was fine for me, I just had to add reverb to it...

In all honesty, it's alot of work for little gain xD
Try and get garageband, that should work fine.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
If you want realistic drums you could export your midi track to another program and change it to real sounding drums using EZdrummer and VSTi plugins.

Guitar Pro has an RSE for drums as well, it's mainly the string instruments, the brass, and piano type instruments I want to make sound better.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Midi is simply information that tells something what note to play, at what velocity etc.

What you hear as a typical midi sound is just the windows general midi sound. Unless you get a VST plug-in or something to that effect it will always sound midi-ish.

I'm not even sure if guitar pro will accept any VST's other than it's RSE.
You can't really improve MIDI much, it's not as simple as upgrading to another audio codec. MIDI tells the computer how to play the music, it's not actually a recorded song, more like sheet music.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
You can't really improve MIDI much, it's not as simple as upgrading to another audio codec. MIDI tells the computer how to play the music, it's not actually a recorded song, more like sheet music.

Depends if you use samples in a MIDI way. Only really works for drums though.
Quote by boreamor
What you'd have to do is export the GP file as a MIDI file and import it into that program.

What I did is this:

Notation would be played via a garageband instrument, e.g. Clean Guitar.
I'd then run that through a MIDI FX process called "Guitar Amp Pro".
And that gave me the distortion on the guitar on my MIDI work.

Garageband Piano was fine for me, I just had to add reverb to it...

In all honesty, it's alot of work for little gain xD
Try and get garageband, that should work fine.

So essentially, there's not a way to make guitar pro sound better? Or at least not that way?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
So essentially, there's not a way to make guitar pro sound better? Or at least not that way?

Not really no. If you're trying to make a backing track I'd definately make a proper MIDI one.
You need VST's and a VST host programme, personally i use Cubase because i learned to sequence on it, im sure other programmes work just as well
Guitars will never sound better. Ever. Bass is always acceptable, and, honestly, pianos sound amazing. If you think those need improving, you're just ultra-picky.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Guitar Pro has an RSE for drums as well, it's mainly the string instruments, the brass, and piano type instruments I want to make sound better.

GP's RSE drums sound like pure ****e imo.
the quality of your midi sounds depend entirely on the quality of your sound card.
I'm using an X-Fi soundcard but I have had better MIDI quality playing with an ****ty intel soundcard 4 years ago by downloading a single plug-in. But I forget how to do the trick ^^
Quote by Romess
I'm using an X-Fi soundcard but I have had better MIDI quality playing with an ****ty intel soundcard 4 years ago by downloading a single plug-in. But I forget how to do the trick ^^

wrong on both counts

x-fi -> intel onboard. I have both.
Export the RSE instruments as a .wav and the midi instruments as a .mid, open the .mid in Synthfont and download a good soundfont for each instrument you're using, load them into Synthfont in the appropriate slots, export that as a .wav, mix the two .wavs in Audacity

EDIT: If you just want to be able to hear better instruments when you're listening to them in Guitar Pro, you might be able to do that by changing the midi device GP uses, I have no idea what to do exactly though.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
EDIT: If you just want to be able to hear better instruments when you're listening to them in Guitar Pro, you might be able to do that by changing the midi device GP uses, I have no idea what to do exactly though.

This method is soooo much easier than the complicated shit other people are posting.

Basically MIDI sounds are pulled from a soundbank, and the banks that come with sound cards is about 4 or 8 MB. If you have a creative soundcard you can use the "Soundfont bank manager" to load much better soundfonts.

The bank I use in GP5 (and all other midi programs for that matter) is called Fluid R3, which is 145 MB - I can't seem to find where I downloaded this from and google isn't helping so no d/l link. But there's like hundreds of different packs, you just have to find one that sounds great. Search for sf2 files or something.

You just have to add a custom soundbank into MIDI bank 0 in "Soundfont bank manager" and you're good to go, it'll play through any MIDI app so long as you use the Creative synth instead of the Microsoft GM synth (In GP5 it's in Audio Options)
Last edited by tborsje at Feb 11, 2009,