I frequently see Ampegs on Craigslist for prices that seem pretty reasonable (around $400-800 USD, more if its a stack). The majority of the time, its older Ampegs, cause it looks like they're only making 1 model of guitar amps - the J-20.
My question is this: how good are Ampeg guitar amps? By "good" I'm talking about tone, reliability, quality control, etc.

edit: I realize that some amps from a company will be crap while others are gold, but usually companys tend to be more good than bad or vice versa.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I desperately want a VH140C, I can't wait to start work
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
All the Ampegs I've played (a J-12, J-20 and an old VT-40) have been rock solid and tonal gold. If I could afford one, I'd have bought one.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well, the J-20 is handwired (but made in Chine), and a killer amp. I don't know about the rest of them, but the J-20 is a charming classic rock/blues amp.
I still kick myself for selling my VL-502 a few years ago. I bought it for $300 and would easily take one over most amps that would have cost me 5 times the price at the time. Of course they're a bit more expensive nowadays, but I'd still love to find another.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Alright, this is good info.
I was just wondering 'cause I feel like 20 watts won't have enough headroom for gigs. I'm kind of shopping for a tube amp that i will theoretically buy at some point or another, so that when my rents let me sell my Spider, I'll know what I want. I've been looking more in the 30-50 watt range.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Considering people are still using them and there a 10+ year old amp I say there pretty darn reliable. And tone wise there as close as you can get to a tube amp without having to deal with tubes.

Also I own a Ampeg VH-140C its rock solid, brootal as hell and has the cleans of a Jazz Chorus...